Labetalol issues: long

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
trish
Forum Moderator

Re : Labetalol issues: long

Postby trish » Sat Apr 12, 638302 5:41 am

Sabrina - thank you for your reply! I have never had asthma but boy do I think the labetalol caused all of my asthma symptoms. I felt like someone was standing on my chest making me breathe through a straw. My family Dr. has had me on Foradil, Qvar, & an albuterol rescue inhaler to treat my "asthma" symptoms before FINALLY realizing it was because of the beta blockers. I'm just so mad I wasted 3 months feeling exhausted & like utter crap much less hundreds of dollars on meds I didn't need!
I am hoping to see a different cardiologist today because I can't stand the one I've been seeing. No luck yet with getting an appt. though. The one guy I had a recommendation for only has office hours on Wed.

missgamecock

Postby missgamecock » Sat Apr 12, 638302 3:28 am

Yes Heather is right! I can not take certain bp meds because of asthma. When I get on certain ones, I can't breathe! When I was pregnant with Kirsten, the crazy Belgian doc put me on Visken. Which is a beta blocker. I could not breathe. However, Kirsten was really high up and I related it to a pregnancy thing. I went in to see the military dr. Her office was on the second floor right next to the elevator. I go into the office and she is like what is wrong with you. Your breathing is awful. I said oh asthma is acting up and baby is high up. She looks at the med I brought in (Visken) and literally flipped a gasket. You can't take this! WHY on earth would she put you on this? It's a beta blocker and you have asthma. Did you tell her you have asthma? Did she even read your chart? What happens is the beta blocker closes off everything. In people with asthma, you need all of your airways open as much as possible (they are already restricted, you shouldn't restrict them even more). She sent me down to the patient liasion who called the hospital and dr and demanded that it be changed to Aldomet. It was changed to Aldomet that afternoon. She has always told me to be very careful and question the bp meds that I am prescribed. So I always let my drs know and ask if it is safe. I think when she tested my O2 it was down into the low - mid 80's. I also got a stint into the urgent care area with some O2 before I was sent to the patient liasion to get it changed.

There are many different medications for bp and sometimes you have to find the right combo. For me, procardia and aldomet do not work. I know I can't take labetelol and visken. I am on Ziac and it does work. Bp on Saturday was 119/67. :)

raspbeari

Postby raspbeari » Mon Mar 31, 638302 6:51 pm

that sounds really scary. I think some people really react to certain medications like Labetalol. I hated it, and I felt just awful on it, and won't go on it ever again. I did switch to something called altace(though I think it has a more common name- I forget) Anyways it really agreed with my body. Not sure if it is safe for breastfeeding though.

trish
Forum Moderator

Postby trish » Sun Mar 09, 638302 2:15 am

Thank you to all - things got worse before they got better. I went to an ER clinic last night when my BP had climbed to 172/118 even after my cardiologist had me double my meds! Thankfully my BP was "only" 159/109 by the time I got into the exam room but they gave me Clonidine to help it go down faster. After an hour it was 135/93 and I went home. My head is still hurting although my pressures are much better today.

I am ready to quit Procadia and try something else - I feel like it may be part of my issues. And I have had a stress test back in March and all is normal/fine with that. I want to start exercising to lose more weight (I'm probably still 30 lbs over weight) but I am so short of breath going to my 2nd floor wears me out.

newengland10

Postby newengland10 » Wed Feb 26, 638302 5:43 am

Hi-I had a really hard time on beta blockers, was on Atenelol for a month once and was so dizzy/foggy/sleepy - it was awful. I went through a period of 6-8 months post partum where my body was just adjusting, doing things I never could quite grasp, at times frustrating and scary - so it may take some more time to even out. I'm still trying to lose 15 lbs, and often a good brisk walk or run daily helps me control my pressures, along with avoiding the salty foods and I also take generic procardia. Did the cardiologist explore any other reason why you have been experiencing tightness in your chest? I'd want to know if everything else had been ruled out outside of just the blood pressure meds. Have you done a stress test before? I had to stop pumping at 4 mos post partum with great sadness, but in the end, feeling so awful was affecting me too much and I needed to feel better for my whole family. Don't beat yourself up if you have to opt for bottle feeding if your body needs to have a different course of meds. Just one person's opinion...

willow&sam

Postby willow&sam » Tue Feb 25, 638302 7:05 pm

I don't know if this will be helpful for you or not but, I was on Norvasc and Atenelol post-partum and BF for 2+ years on them with good BPs, once we got the dosing adjusted and no side effects (that I noticed).

Happy 4th.

melly

Postby melly » Tue Feb 25, 638302 1:01 pm

You poor thing! Three sick girls, moving and nursing! Its not surprising that you can't kick your heels up and rest. I hope they can get the right combo of meds for you soon. Take care of yourself! I hope your girls get better soon. Good luck with the move.

trish
Forum Moderator

Postby trish » Tue Feb 25, 638302 1:15 am

>>>>How did your appt go?
Oh thank you for asking. It's been kinda crazy here. We're moving and we have carpet installers coming today so we've been trying to get ready for that (all the stuff we put in closets to get out of the way of painters last week has to come out off the floors!) And both of my older girls have strep - and I think my oldest has hand/foot/mouth too. And the baby has diarrhea & a goopy eye. I've spent $185 on Dr. visit co-pays alone in the past 8 days. Then add meds - ugh! I want to go crawl in a hole!!

The cardiologist took me off labetalol but kept me on procardia. He added Benicar (with out the diuretic) since I am still trying to BF. But it's just not working yet. I wake up with BP's of 150/100 (today was "only" 141/97). During the day it's not *too* bad around 130's/high 80's but by afternoon it creeps up to the high 140's/high 90's again. And I still have a very tight/heavy feeling in my chest that the inhalers don't really change.

I'm calling today to see what else we can do because laying on my couch with my feet up just isn't really an option right now. Too many sick kids and too much to do (plus we have to be out of our house today soon for the carpet guys).

melly

Postby melly » Fri Nov 03, 638299 1:19 pm

How did your appt go?

melly

Postby melly » Fri Sep 29, 638299 3:31 am

Most of my swelling was in my feet, but I felt bloated all over. My ob told me that my lower back pain was caused by the swelling putting pressure on the base of my spine. My vision was blurred and I had floaters. I had it checked out and was told that nothing was wrong and that I just needed time and rest to heal my eyes from the vascular changes that occured with my pih. I could tell my vision was getting more blurred though.

I went to see my ob about the swelling and ended up seeing a midwife who told me to rest and walk an hour a day. My brain just wasn't functioning right and I didn't realize that I had 3 more refills on my procardia script and I asked her for another refill. She told me to finish it out and then moniter my bps. Thankfully I didn't notice that I had more refills until after I started feeling like myself again. All the symptoms went away within days of my last pill. It was after I was told by my ob that I had an allergic reaction that I looked up the side effects and found that the pain in my teeth and gums was caused by it as well. It felt like when you have a sensitive tooth and you eat ice cream. Kind of a sharp shooting pain only all over and it wasn't triggered by anything.

I really hope you can continue bfing. That's important to me too. Six months is great though alot of women don't make it that long.

I wonder how often these reactions go unnoticed because so many of the side effects seem to mimic the usual pp symptoms. I think once you get the meds straightened out you won't feel so old and worn out. I'm almost 35 and was feeling the same way and like a miracle I feel reborn after stopping the meds. My bp went down too, so maybe you won't need to be on meds any longer. Were you chronic before? Let us know what your dr says. I sure hope they can help you feel better. Thats so scarey not being able to breathe!

Return to “Ask the Experienced”