29 Weeks, Seeing Spots, Some BP Spikes. Ugh...

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.
caryn
Forum Moderator

Re: 29 Weeks, Seeing Spots, Some BP Spikes. Ugh...

Postby caryn » Mon Dec 01, 2014 06:10 pm

I hope you are feeling better - those abruptions can be an indicator that the preeclampsia process is humming along in the background, even if you're asymptomatic. How's your son doing?
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy

alviarin
Forum Moderator

Postby alviarin » Mon Dec 01, 2014 00:39 am

I'm so glad you listened to your instincts and went in to the hospital. Congrats on the birth of your son, I hope you are both home together soon!
Hypothyroid mom to
Connor (severe pre-e at 38 weeks)
Claire (dx'd with pre-e and induction at 37 weeks)
Annabelle (chronic HTN & GD, superimposed pre-e @34 weeks, induction @37 weeks)

shanajohnson

Postby shanajohnson » Wed Nov 26, 2014 05:06 pm

cgellura - glad to hear you are okay, and also that you listened to yourself and not bad advice! Best of luck to you as you recover - glad to hear the mag is working its way out of your system!

KetchupSpud

Postby KetchupSpud » Wed Nov 26, 2014 05:57 am

I'm so sorry everything got so crazy, but very impressed by how well you knew your body and your son and stood up for both of you! Hopefully this info gets back to that nurse so that other people who might not be as brave won't get terrible advice. Looking forward to hearing news of your son being released very soon! Congrats!!
Mama to Logan Patrick (8/23/14-8/26/14) & Bryce Anthony (8/23/14-9/13/14), frateral twins born at 23w5d due to severe pre-e turning into HELLP.
Hoping for a rainbow in Sept '16.

preEtmz2

Postby preEtmz2 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 02:54 am

Oh my, I'm so happy you and your son are ok, but know exactly what you've just been through/ are going through. Thank God you listened to you gut and went in. How big is your son, was he growth restricted at all? Hugs momma, sorry it's didnt go easy this time either, but again, so glad he is here and you are both safe.

cgellura

Postby cgellura » Mon Nov 24, 2014 00:49 am

I thought I was going to get away without any significant PE-related issues this pregnancy. WRONG! I developed postpartum preeclampsia and had to go on the dreaded Magnesium Sulfate. Awful! My blood pressure spiked and I had to be readmitted. I couldn't even leave bed to get up to the NICU to see my son--it was so crappy. But thankfully my pressures are under control again and I'm taking Labetalol. I am home now and thankful that most of the effects of the mag are out of my system. Hoping to wake up tomorrow morning feeling more like myself.
Mom of 3 (including a 32 week preemie currently in NICU)
2009 - Severe PE (delivery at 36 weeks)
2011 - Very severe PE with bilateral retinal detachments (delivery at 32 weeks)
2014 - Mild PE with placental abruption (emergency c-section at 32 weeks)

MomTimesThree
Forum Moderator

Postby MomTimesThree » Mon Nov 24, 2014 00:16 am

Oh my goodness! I'm so thankful you trusted your mommy gut- she never leads us astray and got checked out!! I'm thankful they were able to deliver and that he arrived safely, albeit earlier planned. Please keep posted as you're able. I will be sending good wishes your way!
2008-Our Baby Girl, PTL born too early at 30w6d, Fought so hard... Forever Loved & Missed
2010- Lil' Bro, Pre-E at 29 weeks... Induced at 36w6d, Born 37w
2012- Lil' Sis, Super-imposed pre-e at 25 weeks, PTL & GD at 35 weeks, Evicted 36w

cgellura

Postby cgellura » Sat Nov 22, 2014 04:17 am

So it's been a pretty crazy week. Last Friday (Nov 14) I had a regular ob/gyn appointment and told them how I am feeling the baby moving less, plus some general symptoms that had me concerned about preeclampsia. I had very little protein in my urine (1.5 on the dipstick test) and my BP was in the 130/80 range. My doctor ordered an on-the-spot biophysical profile in the office and the baby scored an 8. I was sent home with the understanding that if anything just doesn't feel right over the weekend I will call. I was also to start a 24 hour urine on Sunday, followed by labs on Monday morning. However, by Sunday morning I was feeling really crappy, but the worst part was that I had barely felt the baby move at all since Saturday night. There were a few weak movements here & there, but nothing like he normally does. It was terrifying. Out of the blue I vomited. My blood pressure was also creeping up a bit. It still wasn't high enough for some to consider as preeclampsia, but I knew for me it was a giant increase. So I called my Ob/Gyn and waited for a return call. I received a call back from an unenthusiastic nurse who basically tried to write me off and even told me that I should not be checking my blood pressure more than once per day (she was saying this to someone with a history of severe preeclampsia x2). I flat out told her there was no way I would only check my pressure once per day at this point and that I wasn't comfortable with the advice she was giving me. I'm sure she didn't like hearing that but I felt like her responses were irresponsible. Anyway, I listened to my gut and went straight into Ob/Gyn triage at the hospital. Within minutes they were injecting steroids into me (betamethasone to speed the baby's lung development) because it was clear something wasn't quite right. They performed another biophysical profile and he scored a 6, which wasn't "too" bad. I was on continuous monitoring for the baby and frequent BP checks. My BP wasn't really the main issue though. I was having minor contractions and each time the baby had decelerations. After a few hours of monitoring, something changed and the doctor decided to do another biophysical profile. This time the baby scored only a 2 and they performed an immediate emergency c-section. My husband wasn't even there because he had to run home to care for our two little ones at home. So he was born at exactly midnight on November 17th, which also just happens to be World Prematurity Day. When he came out he was quiet, but breathing and his color was good. His apgars weren't too bad--I think a 7 and 8. He was intubated for two days, then on CPAP for a day. Now he is just on a regular nasal cannula. His progression has been amazing! This afternoon I read a copy of the pathology report from the placenta. As my doctor informed me, I had a placental abruption due to preeclampsia. I never had any vaginal bleeding or any obvious pain. Thankfully I was very in-tune with my son's movements and just knew something wasn't right. If I had listened to the advice given to me, there is a very good chance my son would not be with us today.

KetchupSpud

Postby KetchupSpud » Fri Nov 21, 2014 04:33 am

Any update?? Really hoping you're at 33w and still going strong!!
Mama to Logan Patrick (8/23/14-8/26/14) & Bryce Anthony (8/23/14-9/13/14), frateral twins born at 23w5d due to severe pre-e turning into HELLP.
Hoping for a rainbow in Sept '16.

cgellura

Postby cgellura » Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:44 pm

Honestly all I've done differently this time around is low dose aspirin daily from practically day 1 (we were TTC so I knew when that was). My medications are virtually identical, diet, lifestyle too. I honestly assumed I'd have a preemie in NICU by now. Don't get me wrong--I'm glad I don't, but it's so unexpected.

The "funny" thing is shortly after I posted the response last night I checked my BP again and it was around 145/93 and remained high like that for about an hour with a peak of 153/94 (again, I am normally VERY low so this is a huge jump for me). After laying down for an hour it went back into the 130's/80's range and eventually overnight back into the 120's/80's. Then around 2 am I started having a lot of cramping and a dull headache and I couldn't get the baby to move much. I was considering driving in to L&D triage at the hospital, but decided against it knowing I had an appointment first thing this morning. If I had any bleeding or severe cramping I wouldn't have thought twice about it. Plus my BP had decreased.

At my Ob/Gyn appointment this morning my BP was back in the 130's/80's. They decided to do an on-the-spot BPP (biophysical profile) which includes a non-stress test and ultrasound. The NST wasn't too reassuring (not a ton of movement, a number of contractions) but the ultrasound was great and he looked fine, thankfully. I am set up for another 24 hour urine test to begin on Sunday morning & to be turned in Monday morning, followed by a bunch of PE and related labs. Then I return to my Ob/Gyn on Tuesday and again on Friday. I am to call them if I get any additional BP spikes that last for more than 2 hours without returning to "normal" or anything else significant.

Fun stuff...

Return to “Pregnant Again?”