Woke up with pitting edema...

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
blythe

Re: Woke up with pitting edema...

Postby blythe » Thu Sep 01, 2011 07:11 pm

My not-a-doc understanding is that clonus can be a warning sign that your central nervous system is affected and you are at risk of eclamptic seizures. I'm really confused that they sent you home. I'm glad you asked for the other doctor in the practice to call you back, can you also call L&D and let them know your bps and symptoms?
Heather, mom to
#1 7-18-03 - 5#8oz 37 weeks PE/PIH
#2 8-11-06 - 6#14oz 37 weeks PE/PIH
#3 9-10-09 - 5#10oz 37 weeks PE/PIH

brigidmary

Postby brigidmary » Thu Sep 01, 2011 02:05 pm

So this morning I went for my non-stress test. It was fine. I had to see the one doctor in the practice who I HATE. I don't know why he's even a physician there. I won't name names, but he has all kinds of complaints online about him, and even during the visit, he said, "We won't get excited about your protein levels unless they're 2,000 or something." This is the same guy who told me to "stop being such a baby" and hung up on me at 18 weeks, when I called after having vomiting and diarrhea for two days straight.

The nurse said, "I forwarded your results to Dr. so-and-so, and he says they're fine." Well, I asked what the protein number was, and she said, "Hmm. Just under 300. I guess he's not concerned because of other things..."

I asked them to forward my results to the OB in the practice whom I've seen the most often, who was the one to send me to L&D Monday night when I registered a 1+ on the dip test. She said she would, and she'd call me back.

This is SO FRUSTRATING.
Brigid Kemmerer
Mother of two boys, ages 6 (born 33wks due to pre-E) and 2 (born 36wks due to pre-E).
Wife, mother, YA author, and admin manager. Independently supporting the coffee industry since 2007. :-)
http://www.brigidkemmerer.com

brigidmary

Postby brigidmary » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:01 am

The kick counts are great. Definitely a good amount of fetal movement.

I dropped the 24 hour urine off this morning, and under my mother's encouragement, I asked for a Thursday morning appointment instead of Friday afternoon. They said the 24 hour results won't be back until tomorrow morning anyway, so I can get the NST and the results at the same time. We'll see what those say.

I would LOVE to get into a bathtub -- but we only have a stand up shower. So I'm kind of stuck on that one.

Thanks for all the support and recommendations. I really appreciate it.
Brigid Kemmerer
Mother of two boys, ages 6 (born 33wks due to pre-E) and 2 (born 36wks due to pre-E).
Wife, mother, YA author, and admin manager. Independently supporting the coffee industry since 2007. :-)

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Wed Aug 31, 2011 07:25 am

One thing that can briefly help with the swelling is immersing yourself in water. The water pressure helps to gently push some of the fluid that's leaked into the interstitial spaces between your cell walls back into your circulation where your kidneys can get at it. This won't fix the tendency of your vessel walls to be leaky, but it might make you more comfortable while you're waiting on results. Swelling is pretty common even in normal pregnancies but when it gets bad fast in late pregnancy along with pressure increases I would bet it's caused by preeclampsia, and the tendency of your blood vessels to get really leaky, instead of by normal pregnancy blood changes. (One of our Experts starts most conversations about swelling with the phrase "Normal pregnancy hemodynamics are weird, so lots of women swell..." and then goes on to qualify it to say that when it goes along with preeclampsia changes it's much more worrisome.)

But I really don't want you to hang out at home and use therapies to help you ignore the symptoms while they worsen, either, even if the docs said to go home and they'd see you on Friday. Please do keep an eye out for worsening of any symptoms at all and either let your MFM know (you *do* have an MFM, right?) or head in to L&D and let them check you over.

How are your kick counts?
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy

brigidmary

Postby brigidmary » Wed Aug 31, 2011 07:01 am

So the doctor's office called yesterday afternoon and asked me to come in. My blood pressure was 148/102. Only trace protein in the urine, but I was in the middle of a 24 hour urine check, so I'm not worried about that. Second blood pressure 30 mins later was just about the same.

The doctor sent me home to finish the 24 hour urine test and stay on bed rest, and they're going to do another NST on Friday. (Unless the 24 hour urine comes back with something very high, in which case they might change and admit me to the hospital.)

The swelling is getting unbearable. It hurts to type. I had to drive up to the fire house last night to get the paramedics to cut my rings off because they suddenly started hurting so badly. :-(
Brigid Kemmerer

brigidmary

Postby brigidmary » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:31 am

Friday, so I'm almost there. I spoke with the nurse; just waiting to hear what the doctor has to say.
Brigid Kemmerer

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:30 am

Go get delivered, girl. :D Beats of clonus are a sign of significant hyperreflexia.

When do you hit 37 weeks?
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy

brigidmary

Postby brigidmary » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:31 am

They did last night, in labor and delivery. She said I was showing clonus (??) and seemed concerned, but they eventually sent me home to do the 24 hour urine.

I did call the OB this morning, and spoke with the nurse. I'm waiting for her to call me back with what the doctor said. I don't want them to think I'm a pain in the *, but I also don't want to ignore something important.

ETA: I just took my midday blood pressure, and it was 153/95.
Brigid Kemmerer

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:11 am

I would let them know that you're jittery and haven't been able to sleep and wonder if that's not a cognitive effect from hyperreflexia, hint hint. My docs were all, OH. Right. have some mag. Has anyone thwacked you on the knee lately?

brigidmary

Postby brigidmary » Tue Aug 30, 2011 09:45 am

Wait -- what's this about hyperreflexia making it impossible to sleep? Because it has been DAYS.

Should I call and demand to be admitted?
Brigid Kemmerer

Return to “Ask the Experienced”