Baby with reflux & turning blue?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
rwpokluda

Re: Baby with reflux & turning blue?

Postby rwpokluda » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:36 am

Hi my son had something similar but he was 25 weeks. He had severe reflux for a long time and had to have his feeds through a tube longer than he should have. He had to be on an ND tube (think I put that right lol) vs a NG tube becuase a lot was caused by his duodenum not allowing his stomach to empty fast like it should. So they had to pas the tube past it into his intestines in order to help control the reflux. Once we got him home he had to remain on reflux meds for a while too. Without meds his reflux caused him to have apneas and turn blue. The meds helped but you have to be careful how much they are on bc they can backfire as well.
[color=#FF00BF]Janna
Mommy to Blake born April 26, 2008 at 25 wks 1 lb. 4 oz, 11 in., due to severe Pre-E and severe HELLP, healthy 3 year old boy now![/color]

rebecca2

Baby with reflux & turning blue?

Postby rebecca2 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:07 pm

Hi ladies. My son was born at 37w2d via scheduled repeat c-section due to previous classical section. We were thrilled to make it to full term and our scheduled section, but as it turns out, my little guy still needed NICU & has been there for just over 3weeks. Initial diagnosis was respiratory distress syndrome...then he had a pneumothorax (sp?)...and now reflux which causes him to to turn blue and his oxygen levels to drop. Two of the reflux episodes he was given supplemental oxygen & the rest he recovered with stimulation. (The nurses rubbed his back or picked him up.). Has anyone else experienced these blue episodes? What was the treatment plan? We are currently planning on bringing him home on a heart rate/breathing monitor, but I'm still worried.
Becky
Mom to...
baby girl Addison 3/11/09-3/11/09 (severe preeclampsia 26w5d)
baby boy Aden 5/25/10 (35w6d low amniotic fluid)
baby boy #2 due 7/4/11

Return to “Ask the Experienced”