Constipated/bloated this early?

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.
l412angel

Re: Constipated/bloated this early?

Postby l412angel » Sat Mar 12, 2011 07:27 pm

I had the same issues this pregnancy like 10 weeks! I like to think everything progresses faster in second pregnancy!
Laura Angel (Factor V Leiden)
Mommy to Cara Angel 2LBS 11OZ 16 IN. Born at 30 weeks due to Severe PE & HELLP.
"My life went with you sweetheart the day angels called you home"

Our Rainbow Baby Carter born March 5 2011 7lbs 7oz 20.5in 36 weeks 4days PE FREE

Baby #3 due June 2012

jennashell

Postby jennashell » Sat Mar 12, 2011 09:22 am

Same problem, really early on! It was a combo of all the extra iron in the prenatal and all the extra fiber I was eating to keep to a healthy diet :) I was drinking probably 10 cups of water a day too! It took a while for it to even back out on it's own.

Of course, now I'm on an extra iron supplement for pregnancy induced anemia, soooooo.....I'm having trouble with it again :) But I'm happy to be pregnant, and already at 30 weeks, and no pe yet so I'm not complaining.
Severe eclamptic seizures in the car-no pe diagnosis previously- at 28 weeks. Emergency c section baby born at 2 lb 11 oz. He's now 5 years old!

Pre E with #2 at 32 weeks, emergency c-section at 35 weeks, baby born at 3lb 9oz. She's now 2 1/2!

#3 Pre-E free! Planned c section at 37 1/2 weeks! 1 week in nicu due to breathing and antibiotic treatment.

alviarin
Forum Moderator

Postby alviarin » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:18 am

The extra iron in my pre-natal made me constipated early in my first pregnancy. I talked to my OB about taking a multi-vitamin without iron. I think there is even a pre-natal with a stool softener though.

Sorry I don't remember who is another hypothyroid gal like me, but being hypothyroid can also make you constipated. I needed my thyroid meds adjusted upwards a couple of times during my second pregnancy.
Hypothyroid mom to
Connor (severe pre-e at 38 weeks)
Claire (dx'd with pre-e and induction at 37 weeks)
Annabelle (chronic HTN & GD, superimposed pre-e @34 weeks, induction @37 weeks)

riehlism

Postby riehlism » Thu Mar 10, 2011 05:24 pm

Thanks Becky! That totally slipped my mind. Anything that is familiar in my last pregnancy seems to be freaking me out a bit. I guess I must manage with colace to get things moving.
Jasmin: Severe PE/HELLP and delivered at 24+6 & PCOS (29) Hubby Bubby, Frank (29)
Baby Blue stopped in to say hello and goodbye on 6/3/10
Baby Lucas was born on 10/13/11, PE and HELLP-free! Thank you baby aspirin and Lovenox
http://www.ehd.org/pregnancy-calendar.php?id=18192

rebecca2

Postby rebecca2 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 03:48 pm

Aren't you on prometrium or some other form of progesterone supplement? That always increased my chances of constipation. My MFM told me to drink PLENTY of water. Like you, I was already drinking 2 liters per day, but he said I needed more if I was constipated. He also told me I could take Miralax which worked wonders. (I didn't take it all the time--only when needed.)
Becky
Mom to...
baby girl Addison 3/11/09-3/11/09 (severe preeclampsia 26w5d)
baby boy Aden 5/25/10 (35w6d low amniotic fluid)
baby boy #2 due 7/4/11

riehlism

Constipated/bloated this early?

Postby riehlism » Thu Mar 10, 2011 03:29 pm

I remember that in my first pregnancy I definitely had a constipation/bloating problem. Whether it occurred this early on I have no idea.

I have been noticing that after meals my stomach gets really bloated and I am not as regular as I used to be. I am not eating meals that are any larger than usual. And I am also getting my fiber. I eat a bowl of Fiber One, which is about 51% of my daily fiber requirement, and a fiber one bar which is 35% every day. I also drink a jug of 64 oz of water, which is 8 cups. I was doing this even before I knew I was pregnant and had absolutely no problem with bloating/constipation.

I feel like my belly is getting so distended. Has anyone else had this problem?

I am only 6+1.
Jasmin: Severe PE/HELLP and delivered at 24+6 & PCOS (29) Hubby Bubby, Frank (29)
Baby Blue stopped in to say hello and goodbye on 6/3/10
Baby Lucas was born on 10/13/11, PE and HELLP-free! Thank you baby aspirin and Lovenox
http://www.ehd.org/pregnancy-calendar.php?id=18192

Return to “Pregnant Again?”