trouble breathing

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
atvlady

Re : trouble breathing

Postby atvlady » Thu Feb 09, 638626 6:15 am

Amen Caryn! When I layed down to sleep at night, I would cough my head off and had a loud rattle in my lungs. I got to were I was sleeping propped up on 6 pillows and a big cushion off the couch. I was miserable. When I went to the hospital that is when I found out it was severe pulmonary edema. These symtpoms do need to be reported, promptly!

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Thu Feb 09, 638626 5:57 am

I'm so glad you got it checked; that's one of those questions no one can really answer without an 02 saturation check.

If the trouble breathing persists, do keep reporting it. Having your lungs fill up with fluid is just no fun at all.

atvlady

Postby atvlady » Thu Feb 09, 638626 1:55 am

Try what they told you. If it doesn't work, please see your dr or go to the ER again. I done this very same thing when I was pregnant and it was pulmonary edema. If you continue to have this trouble, be more demanding with your pregnancy/health. I wish you the best of luck and please keep us posted.

mellochick

Postby mellochick » Thu Feb 09, 638626 12:10 am

Well I went to L&D today. They tested me for a few blood tests and had nothing out of the ordinary. They also checked my bp which was pretty fine in the hospital but crazy high at home. They basically said that it is my acid reflux and the uterus getting bigger making me not be able to breathe easily. So basically I rushed in all worried and not breathing easily for them to say that it is normal and to just take some antacids and sleep in the recliner if I have to. Now I have needle marks all over my arms from them missing my veins and I am sore and tired and cranky. I just wish it were easier.

atvlady

Postby atvlady » Tue Feb 07, 638626 8:33 pm

Please head to the ER or L&D NOW! I had pulmonary edema and couldn't breath either! But of course mine was ditched off as "part of pregnancy." Trouble breathing is NOT something you want to ignore. It is caused by fluid build up in the lungs from the Preeclampsia. This is nothing to play with. Seek medical attention.

hannahsmom

Postby hannahsmom » Tue Feb 07, 638626 11:12 am

I also had pulmonary edema while pregnant - fluid in my lungs. Very scary. They may also check you for a blood clot in your lungs, which can also cause breathing trouble. Please take care and keep us posted!

laura

Postby laura » Mon Feb 06, 638626 2:21 pm

ohhhh heaven, ma'am- trouble breathing is definitely something you don't want to ignore.

Pulmonary edema (to the best of my admittedly non-scientifc recollection) is one of the main reasons pregnant moms end up in the ICU. I end up getting fluid in my lungs after pregnancy- after your swelling has gone everywhere it normally goes, it can go in your lungs, too.

That's a mondo bad scene, and will make you feel lousy, and as Caryn points out is dangerous. And, it isn't particularly good for your babe, either. Our hypertensive placentas are rotten at giving them enough blood to begin with- you add blood that isn't sufficiently oxygenated- you have a problem. Really, that's one of those better safe than sorry situations and is easy enough to check out. I always felt weird going in unless I was sure there was a fire- but you know, you can go back to being stoic and tough after this baby is born. just a few more weeks, hang in there!

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Mon Feb 06, 638626 1:55 pm

Yes -- pulmonary edema. I needed oxygen.

If you're having trouble breathing, that's *always* an emergency, even if you're not pregnant -- and especially when you're breathing for two.

Please do head in, and please keep us posted as you're able.

mellochick

trouble breathing

Postby mellochick » Sat Jan 28, 638626 4:10 pm

i was diagnosed with pre-e on wednesday this week and after another two days in the hospital, i was sent home to be on bed rest.i am currently 34 weeks and have had the two steroid shots. now i am having trouble catching my breath when changing positions. i find that laying on my right side seems to work best but i still struggle. is there a reason that i could be having this labored breathing? i don't want to have to rush to the hospital in the middle of the night if it just normal. i just need some advice please. thanks.

Return to “Ask the Experienced”