New to PE scared.

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
aajatwins
Forum Moderator

Re : New to PE scared.

Postby aajatwins » Fri Oct 01, 2010 02:57 pm

So are you there in the hospital now? That must be so much more frustrating, being a nurse. But for the sake of you and baby, you do need to try and relax. I know it's awful going up there and being sent home all the time. I found that the more tired they got of seeing me, the more likely they were to keep me and/or induce me. Just keep calling and letting the OB know what's going on. and keep us posted.

milesymommy

Postby milesymommy » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:17 am

Take a deep breath... and try to relax. I know its hard. But you're at a good place (36 weeks) and have a doctor being proactive. My 36 weeker had no NICU time either.
It is extremely frustrating they way they take pressures. Essentially, the laying down shows "if" your body can go lower. Its not "as serious" if it can go lower. But seriously, we don't live laying down on our left side!!!
I hope you get a new nurse soon. How often do they change over? Mine were on 12 hour shifts.

momof4as

Postby momof4as » Fri Oct 01, 2010 08:47 am

Thank you both for the responses. I went in because my BP was 165/102 sitting up andthe headache was horrible. Doc ordered ast, alt and uric acid which I was told came back normal. The nurse came in and told me that despite what my dr orders if the labs don't show a problem, they wont induce. I blew a cork. I told her that as a nurse she should know that my dr wouldnt order that if it wasnt medically necessary and if she refused dr's orders I'd report her. ARGH I hate nurses like her.

It was actually more stressful there than sitting at home waiting for my doc. I know the uric acid shows elevated BP but my numbers even at the hospital were high, She ot 153/120 after I went to the bathroom and was sitting on the edge of the bed. She said that wasn't an accurate pressure and made me lay down for 20 min then erased and retook my BP. Which was then down to 144/82. I told her the high numbers happen when I sit up or get up to go to the bathroom. She basically told me that Those pressures aren't true pressures.

My Dr came in and is still really concerned, he told me if my pressure goes up and stays up for ANY amount of time to get back to L n D immediately.

I'm on a rollercoaster ride and feel really tired of it.

aajatwins
Forum Moderator

Postby aajatwins » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:29 pm

Trish is right, just try to take it easy and rest tonight. If you feel like you can't settle down and just need to be seen, go on to L&D. I'm praying for you and your little one.
My boys also came at 36w and only one need NICU and only for 4 days.

trish
Forum Moderator

Postby trish » Thu Sep 30, 2010 08:50 pm

Welcome!! Sorry that you had to find us this way though. What's your BP tonight? How are you feeling? Often people just say they feel "off" or sick or just not quite right. If your BP is high (even just high for you - doesn't have to be 160/100 high) and/or you have any PE symptoms, including just feeling "off", I would just head into L&D tonight. No sense sitting at home wondering & worrying when you know you have to be there in the morning anyway.

But, the good thing is even if you did have to deliver tomorrow, almost 36 weeks is an awesome place to be. My 3rd DD was born right at 36 weeks & needed no NICU time. Keep us posted on how you're doing. (((HUGS)))

momof4as

Postby momof4as » Thu Sep 30, 2010 06:05 pm

He didn't say if he would deliver tomorrow or not, he said that he was sending orders over but didn't tell me what and I was freaked so didn't even ask, but I do know he walked out of the room and told the nurses that I would be delivering very soon. I didn't mention that my face is swollen as well and I had a 4lb weight increase in 48 hours so he is really really concerned. I don't know if its related but when I get up to walk to the bathroom I get a sharp shooting pain across my lower back. Baby is moving well rolling since he's so cramped up in there and I keep track of his HR with a doppler. I'm so scared that I will loose him. I am just laying in bed resting trying to make it till morning when I go in.

aajatwins
Forum Moderator

Postby aajatwins » Thu Sep 30, 2010 05:38 pm

Welcome to the forum :)
Those pressures are too high. The rule that most doctors (including mine) follow is "it's high for you, but not really that high." That rule is wrong. Your lower number should not be more than 15-20 over YOUR normal. I don't know what to tell you about the protein, I never had it in my urine (and honestly don't know what the numbers "mean"). The swelling and headaches (that normal painkillers can't touch) are signs of things going downhill. He is right to have you in the hospital, whether you deliver tomorrow or not. Did he say you'd have baby tomorrow? He may just want you where you can be watched very closely to get you as far as possible. Try to relax and really take it easy the rest of today. But if you have any other visual disturbances (I saw stars or little lights popping), then call your OB and go on in to L&D. It's hard not to freak yourself out when reading about PE, but every case is different. You're very close to 36w, you've done a great job!

momof4as

New to PE scared.

Postby momof4as » Thu Sep 30, 2010 03:59 pm

Hi, I am 35 weeks and 5 days pregnant with baby number 3. I started prenatal care very early because of a nasty miscarriage last year. I was put on insulin right away for GD, things went ok from there and then at 24 weeks I started with headaches with an aura that made it look like I had a keliedescope in my eyes. Those went away but as a nurse I began checking my Blood pressure, it was a little higher than the beginning of my pregnancy when my BP's were 80's/50's it was now like 120/70's not a big deal and still normal. But they kept increaseing. I mentioned it to the DR who told me they were still normal and to just relax. Saturday night I was really really swollen in the feet and hands, so swollen that it hurt to move them. By monday I was even more swollen and my pressures were getting really high. I felt so tired I had to just lay down. I took tuesday off thinking I had just over done it over the weekend and I needed rest. It didn't get better and I started having a throbbing headache. I went to the dr and he ordered blood and urine. My blood was ok but my 24hr urine showed protien @ 247. I went back to dr today and he said I was going into PE, and he wanted me at Labor and delivery at 8am tom. morning. I am really scared right now. Any advice? my highest BP was 160/106.

Return to “Ask the Experienced”