Preeclampsia and Gestational Diabetes

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
brooklynsmom

Re : Preeclampsia and Gestational Diabetes

Postby brooklynsmom » Tue May 05, 2009 09:18 am

I had severe PE my first pregnancy, and later found out I was "borderline" GD. I was so upset when I found this out, because had it been treated, maybe my PE wouldn't have been as severe. I am just assuming my sugars were pretty bad, because I would have a McDonald's carmel sundae (extra carmel!), AND a large fry after eating dinner (late night snack) when on bedrest...that is like 150 carbs!!! My second pregnancy I barely failed the three hour, but was diagnosed as GD this time, ended up on insulin two times a day, and absolutely NO traces of PE....of course I don't know for sure, but my sugar was very well controlled, and I think that had something to do with a full term, PE free pregnancy!

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Mon May 04, 2009 07:51 pm

Both of them are caused by the placenta, from what we can tell, and IIRC having one puts you at higher risk of developing the other, probably because it means you've got a weird placenta in there. Though to be fair, *all* placentas are weird.

Treating gestational diabetes seems to lower PE risk, and no one's ever shown a causal connection between diet and preeclampsia, so I wouldn't worry about the diet per se.

carjashaner

Postby carjashaner » Mon May 04, 2009 07:49 pm

I agree with mom29. Ihad to take injections twice a day from about half way through my pregnancy. I can tell you that the finger sticks hurt worse than the insulin injections. I still couldn't shoot it myself, my husband did it most of the time. I hated it. I am not sure if there is any link, as a lot of women have gestational diabetes and never get PE and vice versa. Anybody got any stats on this one??? Caryn??? ( You seem to be our go to person!!);-)

mom29

Postby mom29 » Mon May 04, 2009 06:17 pm

If you wind up having to take insulin, ask for the short needles. Those are practically painless and I don't dread the thought of having to use insulin if I get pregnant again.

jamie w

Postby jamie w » Mon May 04, 2009 05:47 pm

I had both in my last pregnancy- PE and GD. Some of us get lucky and get all kinds of fun stuff. I ended up on insulin 3X daily and my sugars were fairly well controlled. There is something to do with placental malfunctiona IIRC but as the PP said, Caryn is the best at explaining this one. Hope she is here soon.

mom29

Postby mom29 » Mon May 04, 2009 02:54 pm

Caryn will probably be the best one to give you studies that show the stats. on that.

I had gestational diabetes and gave myself insulin shots three times a day (now considered pre-diabetic) and preeclampsia. I don't think the nutritionist will give you advice to follow an excessively high protein diet.

jsmith

Preeclampsia and Gestational Diabetes

Postby jsmith » Mon May 04, 2009 01:55 pm

I have just been diagnosed with mild Pre-eclampsia and I also just found out that I have gestational diabetes. I was wondering if anybody knew of a connection between the two? Is it common to have both or am I just really unlucky?

Also I still have to meet with a nutritionist but know that I will be required to follow a protein-rich, low carb diet. Can this in any way worsen the preeclampsia?

Thanks in advance for your responses!

Jen

Return to “Ask the Experienced”