36wk delivery due to classical c-section

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
eb7664

Re : 36wk delivery due to classical c-section

Postby eb7664 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 02:24 pm

Thanks for all your replies...they have definitely been helpful and reassuring that even if it HAS to be 36 wks everything should be fine!
I had HELLP at 29 wks and delivered a very small lil guy that ended up in the NICU for 2 and a half months....he'll be 6 in May!!
I'm 32 wks now with no signs of Pre-e or HELLP (knock on wood)!
Thanks again to all that replied, this forum has been so helpful in my journey from HELLP to this pregnancy!!

preemomof2

Postby preemomof2 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 09:01 pm

Every baby is different. My 36 weeker was perfect, nursed for like half hour even after 10 hours of mag. :D

sam10
Forum Moderator

Postby sam10 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 00:22 am

I had a classical c-section with Henry and was told by both my regular ob and my MFM that in a subsequent pregnancy I would need a c-section again at 36 weeks, because of risk of rupture.

jenniferf

Postby jenniferf » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:19 pm

I had a classical section with my first so I had to have one with my second also. My second was born at 36w 5d. My doc didn't want me going any further. He was 8lbs 6oz. He spent 1 day in the NICU for observation and didn't need any breathing help. Good luck!

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Thu Apr 08, 2010 09:48 pm

I think most everyone calls classical section gals for between 36 and 37 weeks, because once you hit term the odds of going into labor and dealing with rupture go up. With an amnio for lung maturity, usually. It's one of those things where the risk to both of you is higher if you wait than if you deliver, because ruptures after a classical are so risky for both mother and baby.

trish
Forum Moderator

Postby trish » Thu Apr 08, 2010 08:21 pm

I haven't had a c-section but my last DD was born right at 36 weeks & she needed no breathing help. She was 5 lbs 9 oz & just needed to stay an extra day under the bili lights for jaundice. :)

rebecca2

Postby rebecca2 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 04:35 pm

Are your NST showing contractions? If so that might come into play. Here is what I've been told....

My OB said that even if everything is PERFECT during this pregnancy, we will deliver via c-section at 38 weeks. He told me this at my first apt, so it has nothing to do with PE. He just wanted to go ahead and make sure I didn't think he would let me go to 40 weeks.

At my 28 week apt with MFM, I told him I assumed I would be having another c-section. He said it depends on the type of classical c-section. (I didn't realize there was more than one type.) He said if the incision was low on my uterus he wouldn't necessarily rule out labor and VBAC. He said if the incision was in the upper part of my uterus it would be a completely different story. In this case if the NST showed uterine contractions he would recommend a c-section at 36 weeks even without doing an amnio. Basically the risk of uterine rupture with that type of past incisions would be greater and he would recommend delivery regardless of amnio results. Just to give you an idea of how he practices...he sometimes gives patients with a history of fetal/neonatal loss the option of delivery at 37 weeks if amnio shows mature lungs even if there are no other indications for delivery at that time.

I'm only 29 weeks, so I don't know what my doctors will recommend once I'm at 36 weeks. (At this point, I'm just praying to make it to that point.) However, I completely understand your concerns of not wanting your baby to need in extra care if you can avoid it. Maybe you can ask if the past incision was in the upper portion of your uterus and if so, if you can just do extra NST to monitor uterine activity. If no contractions show up maybe you can squeeze out another week or two.

jamilyn

Postby jamilyn » Thu Apr 08, 2010 04:25 pm

Yes if it is a classical c-section where you have been cut up to your belly button then you have to deliver at 36 weeks and no later. its not healthy for you or the baby to go any further. 36 weeks is a great gestation to make it to. Most babies born at 36 are just fine and healthy. My little cousin was born at 34 1/2 due to preterm labor and he didnt need anything then my little miracle was born at 35 and hd to be vented. Ive never made it to 36 weeks but my OB said if we wouldve been able to make it even a few days longer then the 35 then he wouldnt have needed to be vented and it went too quick so we couldnt get any steroid shots for him.
Every baby is different but 36 weeks is great especially if you look at the other side of things and if they dont deliver it could cause major problems for both you and the baby.
Best of luck to you.

lilysmommymindy

Postby lilysmommymindy » Thu Apr 08, 2010 04:04 pm

OHHHH That's what a classical c-section is!!! Lol, I'm an idiot! Sorry mine was a low transverse and they want to deliver me at 39 wks, sorry that I don't have any insight! :)

lilysmommymindy

Postby lilysmommymindy » Thu Apr 08, 2010 04:02 pm

Okay, this might be a stupid question but what exactly constitutes a "classical" c-section? I'm going to google it right now...but yeah...I really don't know! :)

Return to “Ask the Experienced”