Steroid Shots....

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.
michelle_chandler

Re : Steroid Shots....

Postby michelle_chandler » Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:09 am

Michelle - I had my steroid shots at 29 weeks and delivered Shane at 31 weeks. I really think it helped in my case as he was never intubated and was only on nasal cannula oxygen for a few days.

Wishing you well!!

leftcoastgirl

Postby leftcoastgirl » Fri Jul 20, 2007 01:22 am

Michelle, I am going to ask my doctor about this too. I think that it can't possibly hurt...I hope he's agreeable. =)

macksmommy

Postby macksmommy » Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:36 pm

Great to hear your appt went well. I recvd the steroid shots at 29 weeks in case of early delivery. I figure they can't hurt and there is still a chance for early delivery for me and it's a good feeling to know that I recvd them. She has been passing her "practice breathing" on her weekly BPP nowfor the past couple of weeks.

kris21225

Postby kris21225 » Thu Jul 19, 2007 06:00 pm

I just had my daughter and she was 35 wks. At 34 wks 3 days I got my first steroid shot. They said that at that point they don't usually give the shots, but gave them to me anyway. I don't know if her lungs had finished on their own or if it was the steroids, but my daughter didn't require any oxygen and only spent 2 days in the NICU before coming to my room. She came home with me and either way I'm glad I got the steroids when I did. It can't hurt, right? I hope everything continues going well for you.

michellelhuston

Postby michellelhuston » Thu Jul 19, 2007 04:53 pm

Thanks Susan and Kara! With this pregnancy, I am doing anything and everything that it takes to have healthy baby! Susan, that is great to hear that you dd was breathing on her own within 24 hours!

kara
Forum Moderator

Postby kara » Thu Jul 19, 2007 04:17 pm

Michelle, Congrats on the 28 week appointment! That is so great! It's good they offered you the steroid shots as a precaution, given your history. They only give these shots up until about 32 weeks, because after that it is not as useful. Don't quote me on this, but I think it has to do with the lung development that goes on between 28 and 32 weeks, and is most helpful at that time. Keep us posted!

susan863

Postby susan863 » Thu Jul 19, 2007 03:49 pm

Hi, Michelle. I had my 2 steroid shots on week 30. At that point, my health care providers were focused on trying to keep me going until "at least your 37th week", but wanted me to have to shots as a precaution, also. On week 33, when my baby Annabella was delivered by emergency C-section because my pre-e had progressed like a runaway train, I sure was glad I'd had the steroid shots! P.S.- Annabella was breathing on her own within 24 hours of her birth. I'll never know whether the steroids made any difference, but it felt good having the extra insurance. Best of luck to you with your pregnancy, and keep us posted!

Susan

michellelhuston

Steroid Shots....

Postby michellelhuston » Thu Jul 19, 2007 03:29 pm

I had my 28 week appt. taday! Everything is great with me and the baby! I also had my 1 hour GD test too. I did receive my first steroid shot today. My dr. said that he would like to give it to me as a precaution. I go tomorrow for my second one. Has anyone else been offered this at 28 weeks? He said that it would not hurt my baby and just recommends it in case we would have to deliver early! I trust my dr 100% and and just curious!

Return to “Pregnant Again?”