? about BP cuffs

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
lucy

Re : ? about BP cuffs

Postby lucy » Wed Feb 15, 2006 09:21 pm

My Dr told me the same thing that he wanted me to have a regular cuff and not a wrist monitor since they arent as accurate.

katevans

Postby katevans » Wed Feb 15, 2006 05:26 pm

The closer the blood pressure is taken to the heart, the more accurate it is. The first choice is the upper arm since the brachial artery comes off the heart/ subclavian artery. Hope this helps.

Cathy
Kaitlyn 12/16/05-01/05/06

allish

Postby allish » Wed Feb 15, 2006 03:44 pm

Whatever cuff/monitor you decide to go with, be sure to take it to your doctor's office to get the accuracy checked. The last three cuffs I purchased (including an Omron) were all inaccurate, and this included using the same size cuff at the doctor's office as the home monitors. I finally gave up and purchased a manual sphygmomanometer and I listen myself.

thw75

Postby thw75 » Tue Feb 14, 2006 05:32 pm

My pharmacist said to only get an arm cuff for accuracy, and to be sure its big enough -- the 'standard' only goes up to a certain diameter, and my DH needed to order an XL one.

excitedmommietobe

Postby excitedmommietobe » Tue Feb 14, 2006 01:09 pm

According to what I have read and also what my doctor has told me, the wrist ones are not as accurate as the arm cuffs. The wrist ones are becoming very popular though...it was all I could find in any stores, so I had to purchase my arm cuff from omron online. Im not sure by how much they are "off", but my dr did advise me to purchase an arm cuff.

eliza

? about BP cuffs

Postby eliza » Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:37 pm

My neighbor has an Omron BP cuff that is a wrist cuff. I'm wondering if wrist cuffs are as good as the regular ones? TIA

Return to “Ask the Experienced”