Some of your wisdom needed

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
mom29

Re : Some of your wisdom needed

Postby mom29 » Wed May 13, 2009 10:04 am

Yeah, I hate the bp machines. At my MFM's office they would retake it manually when it was high.

saving_grace

Postby saving_grace » Tue May 12, 2009 02:39 pm

I bought a wrist cuff to use at home because I too have big arms. I found it to be accurate as long as I followed the directions. I checked it against the equipment that home health brought me when I was on bedrest.

As a side note, does anyone else absolutely hate the BP machines that some doctors and hospitals use? The computer controls how much the cuff blows up and they absolutely pinch the heck out of my arm! I've delivered at two different hospitals and they both had these machines. I came home with brusing and broken blood vessels from those dang things! It was worse than my labor! I'm refusing next time and will demand that a nurse or an assistant take my BP manually. I do not want to be tortured anymore.

norahy

Postby norahy » Tue May 12, 2009 07:49 am

Thanks everyone -

I definitely need a large cuff - my upper arm is 17" around. I did a bit of research and it seems that home monitors are not that reliable for pregnant women of size either. So, I feel like I have not had an accurate reading of my bp. For example, when I used my home monitor this morning the first reading was 130/63. I retook it 10 minutes later and it read 125/73. This is a pretty big difference in 10 minutes. If my home monitor is unreliable and the OB's office is unreliable, then I feel like I am up a creek. So, I have ordered my own cuff to bring to the OB with me. When I mentioned what the nurse at my internist had said about cuff size, the nurse said they had a large cuff somewhere, but didn't know where it was. The OB said I should just take it at home and write down the readings.

My MFM doc has never taken my BP. I guess because I only went to him for my level 2 and a slightly elevated risk for T18. He is basically just taking ultrasounds. Next time I see him, I'll ask for my BP to be taken, but I'll bring my own cuff just in case.

Thanks for the help. I'll let you know how my urine test goes.

peace, nora

fiona
Forum Moderator

Postby fiona » Mon May 11, 2009 11:02 pm

Also, I would just make sure you do actually need a large cuff. I know you say you're very overweight, but at 240lbs I still measure for a regular cuff. A pharmacist should be able to fit you properly, and I think in your situation, I'd want to be sure.

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Mon May 11, 2009 08:43 pm

I'd think he's just being cautious; being overweight and being older are both known risk factors for preeclampsia, and baseline labs and proteinuria will give you some idea where you're starting from.

carjashaner

Postby carjashaner » Mon May 11, 2009 08:30 pm

I agree with Sonja. I am a larger size woman myself and I have never heard of a doctor not having a larger size cuff available. Heck we all can't be the size of Barbie! It seems like he is on top of things as far as the testing though, so I guess that is good. Better to be safe!

sonja
Forum Moderator

Postby sonja » Mon May 11, 2009 04:48 pm

Welcome Nora. I am shocked that your OB's office doesn't have a larger size cuff, and won't order one.

It does sound like your OB is being careful with the readings that he is getting - which is a good thing. What are your readings at your MFM's office? Ask your OB about what the nurse said about your readings and the size of the cuff and see what he says - maybe he has no idea about the size of their cuff.

Take care.

norahy

Some of your wisdom needed

Postby norahy » Mon May 11, 2009 04:40 pm

Hi - I am so glad to have found you all.

This is my 3rd pregnancy - the first 2 were uneventful with steady BPs of 120/70 and no protein ever.

I am 26w5d pregnant now with a boy. I am very overweight and also about to turn 43. This time, my BPs have been pretty wacky since the start. The problem is that my OB doesn't have a large cuff - and I am large women. So, in his office my highest reading was at about 15 weeks at 150/90. Then a week later I went to my internist for a sinus infection and with the large cuff, it was 128/75. he nurse told me that the small cuff could give me false high readings. So, I have been taking my BP at home. It had ranged from 125/75 to 138/85. This morning before my OB appointment, it was 131/82. My dip test came back negative with no trace of protein.

BUT, my OB wants me to do the 24 hour urine test and related blood work anyway. Does this sound like early warning signs of pre-E to you all?

Oh - I should add that at my last sono with the MFM doc (monthly visits just due to age), he said the baby was measuring big - in the 85th percentile and that he was very active and looked healthy. I see him again in 2 weeks.

Any thoughts about this so far?

Thanks,

Nora

Return to “Ask the Experienced”