I'm the only one concerned...

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
gilma

Re : I'm the only one concerned...

Postby gilma » Wed Nov 01, 2006 03:40 pm

I had to respond as I was talking to my doc just last night about this same set of circumstances in my own personal experience. With a history of PE, I, too had a pretty significant weight gain in one month. Doc just put it off as pregnancy related fluid retention. My BP was also hovering right around where yours is (when I was in the office.) However, when I monitored at home it was higher. I did not discuss this with her because I did not want to seem like I was overreacting! Had I at least shared the info that I felt irrevelant she might have taken a different course of action with the beginning of the end of the pregnancy. With all of that said, the moral of the story is tell your doctor everything. It is the job of the doc to decide if the info is pertinent. Do not be afraid of overreacting. With yours and your family history (and obviously the jump in pressures shown above) you have every reason to at least call and start vigilant monitoring.

fiona
Forum Moderator

Postby fiona » Wed Nov 01, 2006 03:02 pm

In that case, the pressures you are recording are a significant jump from your baseline. I would definitely put a call in and, as the other ladies have said, start monitoring and recording your pressures at home 3xday. That way, it'll be easier to guage what's going on.

imnay2

Postby imnay2 » Wed Nov 01, 2006 02:55 pm

I don't know my official baseline unfortunately. I think my bp started in the 110s/60s. It was down to like 90s/60s during my second trimester!

catherine
Forum Moderator

Postby catherine » Wed Nov 01, 2006 02:42 pm

I agree with IansMom. She had a great question with regard to your basline. That's useful stuff to know, especially when you have concerns about a return of preeclampsia. Eitherway, it's never a poor decision to call your OB and express your concerns. Just because he/she wasn't so concerned at your last visit, doesn't mean that they will not listen now. A bad number once in a while, in anotherwise normal looking pregnancy, can be a blip or outlier. However, a changing trend may be something that bears further investigation. If you don't call, they won't have the opportunity to look more closely. In the meantime, now that you are concious of the issue, it can't hurt to check your BP more regularly, and to keep the signs and symptoms in the back of your mind. I'm not advocating paranoia, but the price of safety is eternal vigilence (I know I'm horribly mangling some famous quotation here).

iansmom

Postby iansmom » Wed Nov 01, 2006 02:15 pm

A lot of us have been in your shoes...What is your baseline bp for this pregnancy? I would never hesitiate to call a dr. It usually makes you feel better. I would certainly consider monitoring your bp at home to see if there is a trend. I actually spent several hours in L&D at about 32 weeks with Drew because my bp was 160/110 at home and I couldn't get it down. Then it was normal the whole time I was at the hosp. Yes, I felt a little silly for dragging my friend to the hosp for "no reason" but I know that it was a necessary trip. Sitting at home worrying is definitely not the thing to do. Good luck!

imnay2

I'm the only one concerned...

Postby imnay2 » Wed Nov 01, 2006 01:44 pm

I developed mild p/e with my last baby. I was put into the hospital and induced at 38 weeks with a bp of 145/95. This pregnancy hasn't had any problems so far.
Last week at my regular check-up (I'm almost 32 weeks) I had gained 9lbs in a month. The doctor said my bp was fine and to just rest because it was probably fluid retention. But the past few days my hands have been swelling (and sometimes my toes) so last night while visiting my sister in the hospital I had the nurse check my bp. It was 145/80. Then around noon today it was 149/78. Is this something I should call my doctor about? The nurses didn't say it was good or bad and my family doesn't seem too concerned. My mother had severe p/e with both of her pregnancies. I just don't want to be crazy calling about it if it's just me being overworked or tired.
Sorry this is so long...but any opinions would be appreciated.

Return to “Ask the Experienced”