Do protein levels go up and down?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
gossamer

Re : Do protein levels go up and down?

Postby gossamer » Tue Oct 25, 2005 02:35 pm

ALthough I have been dumping a little protein this whole pregnancy, my doctor said the number he is really looking at is my creatinine levels, which determine how well the kidneys are filtering all waste. SO even though I am dumping protein, my creatinine levels are fine. THat might be another question to ask your Dr.
Gossamer

timelessbeauty

Postby timelessbeauty » Mon Oct 24, 2005 01:22 pm

Miriam,

From one in Indiana to another, I would sometimes throw HIGH dip results in the office only to have the 24 hr test say that I was below 1000mg. 1+ grams = 1000+ miligrams. I have heard anything over 300 mg is enough to get somewhat concerned about but I can tell you from personal experience, it's when you get to numbers like 6+ and beyond that you go into ultimate freak out mode like I did. Yes the levels can go up and down but I am speaking about this based on my experiences. They have always told me, drink to thirst, don't overload your system with liquids because that can harm, too. The numbers could look scary and it is a bit of a jump but still under the 1 g protein factor. Like we all have to clarify, I am not a doctor but I think you still have a good shot of holding out.

Friendly tip: let the fear out, scream, cry, do what you have to do to let the emotions ebb out of your system to reduce the stress your body is already under. You have a natural fear of what you have already been through to make you edgy for this time around. Anyone in your shoes would be, just as I was when I was pregnant just 5 months after losing my son. But that pregnancy made it to 36+ weeks and delivered a healthy baby. I am sure you have a caring partner who understands the fears the same as you even if he doesn't mention them. Would you like to have my phone number to call if you need? I'm always here to listen unless you get a busy signal, that means I'm on the computer! hehehe

I'm still praying for you and the family! Keep up the good work and I expect to see pictures in January! :-)

TB

miriam

Postby miriam » Mon Oct 24, 2005 01:04 pm

Well, my protein was up from last week on the 24 hour....last week it was 341 and this time it's at 702. However, my bloodwork came back fine for everything else - so at this time the doc says not to change anything (I'm already on bedrest). I see her in person tomorrow, along with the peri again to check on the baby.

So what do you guys think? Is that a hugely scary jump or is that more indicative of a slow and steady climb? I'm not sure what to make of it.

meg

Postby meg » Mon Oct 24, 2005 09:20 am

Good luck! Let us know the results!! I agree, thats a great picture!!

miriam

Postby miriam » Mon Oct 24, 2005 09:18 am

quote:Originally posted by bethaniesmommy

Miriam,
I don't know anything more than what the other ladies have said but I just wanted to tell you I LOVE you picture, very cute. Such a happy family. Hope the rise in protein was just caused by not enough fluids.

Thank you! [:)] It's one of my favorites too. I was back down to 1+ today and find out the results of my 24 hour and labwork later this morning. Wish me luck!!!

bethaniesmommy

Postby bethaniesmommy » Sun Oct 23, 2005 10:45 pm

Miriam,
I don't know anything more than what the other ladies have said but I just wanted to tell you I LOVE you picture, very cute. Such a happy family. Hope the rise in protein was just caused by not enough fluids.

meg

Postby meg » Sun Oct 23, 2005 01:17 pm

I do think with just the dip test that the amount of concentration can make a big differance! thats why the 24 hour is so much more accurate!

miriam

Postby miriam » Sun Oct 23, 2005 01:02 pm

thanks for the replies....I am now wondering if it was just that I didn't drink enough yesterday and did the dip 2 hours later in the morning than usual, after not drinking all night?

Because just now, after plenty of liquids this morning, I just had a negative reading!!! So I'm not sure what to make of all this. It's good to hear that there is some variability though...and that one high reading doesn't necessarily mean I'm near the point of being admitted.

meg

Postby meg » Sun Oct 23, 2005 12:31 am

Maybe my sister Jen will read this, but incase not I know hers did drop. But I suppose its pretty rare. She was hospitalized for PE at like 23 weeks and her 24 hour test was like 7000. We all were sure it ment imenant delivery and were very upset of course. But they decided to try her hospital bedrest and like a week or so later the 24 hour test was something like 2500! Pretty amazing and thrilling for us. She make it to 27.5 weeks and my nephew, Ethan is 19 months now and a wild and crazy little monkey running and climbing into everything!!
I dont know all of the medical explainations and I do know that its certainly pretty rare for it to drop, but I wanted to give you an encouraging example. Take care and please keep us posted!

laura

Postby laura » Sun Oct 23, 2005 11:48 am

Sondra hit the nail on the head about those dips! The dips are of questionable accuracy because the concentration of your urine can really determine how those come out. During my second pregnancy, I dipped daily. On a normal day I had a trace. On a day when I hadn't had enough fluid, it was +1. On a soggy wet day, it would be negative. Meanwhile, my 24 hour urines stayed the same from 24 weeks to 36-- right around 200 mg/dl proteinuria in 24 hours. Hang in there and try not to get too worried until you hear how the 24 hour comes out, because that's the gold standard for PE stuff.

Generally speaking with full blown preeclampsia- proteinuria generally does not go down, it will get worse until you deliver. If you are having a hypertensive pregnancy and your protein levels are all over the place- it might be a good idea to ask your doc if he or she thinks you might have something underlying that's triggering this- chronic hypertension, kidney problems, autoimmune disorders, etc.

Hang in there ladies!

Return to “Ask the Experienced”