Subsequent Pregnancy after HELLP

Have you suffered from HELLP syndrome or had a pregnancy complicated by an underlying disorder? Discuss your concerns here
anonpreemiemom

Re : Subsequent Pregnancy after HELLP

Postby anonpreemiemom » Thu May 20, 2010 11:01 pm

Hi Sarah! No worries and please that is what the blog is for. To try to make something out of my experience and give others knowledge. I know what you mean about most people not knowing what HELLP is. My husband is from England and no one out there had heard of it. Mind you very few in California had either! I had a bit of a read of your blog and wish you all the luck. (I dont think I agree with your midwife though that if it happens again it happens more severe and earlier. I would say the opposite, on average. But of course here you will find all sorts of stories. Drop in when you can and let us know how things are going!

sezza

Postby sezza » Thu May 20, 2010 07:10 pm

Hi
Thank goodness for forums ah. I had hellp with my first pregnancy and am currently 20 weeks with second. SO scary. tis good to see what others are going through and that I am not alone in feeling a bit freaked out about it.

We live in rural Australia so there is not that much support and while it was our choice to get pregnant here is does freak me out that if something happens then we are on a plane to a major city and our family is fragmented for that time.

Anyway as a consequence I do not see the medical people much. There is a different obgyn every week and I get really worked up when I have to go to the hospital. It brings back all the stuff from the past.... the shock of being told that I had hellp, the loss of control.

I have started on aspirin and I was not that happy about it. I feel that there is a bit of research about it but it is still pretty limited. Small sample sizes and not a lot of longitudinal studies. But anything to maybe prevent having a prem again ah.

jenmatt1 and anonpreemiemom, i have had a look at your blogs. Hope you don;t mind if I keep reading. It is nice to share the journey with people that are going through the same thing. I find here most people have no idea what you are talking about when you say that you got hellp syndrome and I feel like a bit of a drama queen when I say that it is pretty full on.

jenmatt1

Postby jenmatt1 » Fri May 14, 2010 04:56 pm

Anonpreemiemom- you are so right. With my daughter we were in the middle of moving to another state and my hubby was 2000 miles away. So imagine sitting in the hospital by yourself as everyone tells you "how very sick you are" while trying to get your husband on a plane right away without freaking him out. He got on 1st plane but he arrived about 10 minutes after c-section was done. I figure if I can get through that, I can make it through anything.

But I agree that while some stories scare me, I feel so much more empowered knowing as much as possible.

Here's to you making it at least 36 week!

anonpreemiemom

Postby anonpreemiemom » Fri May 14, 2010 02:09 pm

Oh thank you Jen! I'm just all about sharing information. It's hard sometimes coming to this board because it scares me about what could happen and reading the stories brings up all the crappy memories, but at the same time I feel better having knowledge, and knowing what other women's experiences are. And being able to cheer on other moms and be there for support.

I don't know about the rest of you but honestly I think the decision to try again or not has been the hardest decision of my life. I mean what else compares? I've been confused at different points in my life, but I have never had to make a decision as big as this where I am weighing putting my life potentially in danger versus creating a new life??? Ugh I can still remember the doctor telling my husband my condition could be fatal, moving me to ICU and then husband becoming physically ill to the point of vomiting in the bathroom.

I think making the decision was the hardest part. Once we were pregnant it's like well no turning back now! We're in it and need to get through to the other side. Fortunately it seems like many of the early cases like ours seem to at least go further the next time, and as you know every week makes such a huge difference.

Sorry for the novel! I am so hormonal lately!

jenmatt1

Postby jenmatt1 » Fri May 14, 2010 01:50 pm

thanks for info on LDA- My opinion is if it isn't harmful then I might as well try. We have decided this is probably our last try. It is so difficult to decide knowing all of the risks and issues, plus dealing with miscarriages. I don't think any woman who has had HELLP or preeclapsia goes lightly into another try at pregnancy.

Anonpreemiemom- I love your blog. It gives me hope.

anonpreemiemom

Postby anonpreemiemom » Fri May 14, 2010 12:20 am

Hi Jean: Def speak to your doc about the LDA though. Some women report problems conceiving if on it early. Wasn't a problem for me. And I dont know all the risks - just that there were no higher incidences of brain bleeding in babies on LDA and that was good to hear.

Yes pregnant again! It took us 4 long years to decide and we almost didn't. I am 32.5 weeks along now. You can check out my blog link below in my sig if interested in our story. I also try to detail what I have done differently and what kinds of tests I have been getting along the way. Not everyone may agree with our choices but it was the right gameplan for us so far.

High risk pregnancy though has been hard hard hard. I know the reward will be worthwhile, still wouldnt wish it on anyone!

Good luck Tiffany

jules2

Postby jules2 » Fri May 14, 2010 05:48 am

I'm totally with you on the fear, hating feeling so out of control, helpness and vulnerable, and there being no safe time to relax. Actually, I'm just terrified of losing my life at the moment. I can't help but do understand that.

jean

Postby jean » Thu May 13, 2010 07:06 pm

Thank you for posting that link...I was wondering what (if any) side affects were out there from taking lda. Anonpreemiemom, are you pg now then? How far along are you? I got HELLP at 28 weeks as well..

anonpreemiemom

Postby anonpreemiemom » Thu May 13, 2010 11:59 am

- (1) When did you have first prenatal appointment in subsequent pregnancy after HELLP?
I actually went in to see the perinatologist/MFM BEFORE even conceiving. And my HMO was fine with that. It was important that I knew the gameplan beforehand and what kind of care I would get. We were really on the fence whether we would TTC again or not knowing the risks (I had it at 28 weeks so my risk jumps up to 40-60% for pre-e again). Seeing her early was good because we actually got on the LDA before conceiving.

Anyway here was a article last year showing that the LDA is not harmful:
http://www.businessweek.com/lifestyle/c ... 34272.html

This gave me some piece of mind

jenmatt1

Postby jenmatt1 » Thu May 13, 2010 11:39 am

I know there is not much they can do, but I think it would just keep my fears in check. I talked with my doctor yesterday and she is going to bring me in next week to do an ultrasound and make sure sac and everything else looks ok and to talk with her about my fears, possible aspirin therapy, etc. I actually feel a little better just knowing that. My peri appointment isn't until about 12 weeks - they are more to manage any HELLP complications than miscarriage issues.

I think fear is my biggest problem. I have had miscarriages in first trimester, 2nd trimester, and HELLP in 3rd so there doesn't seem like any safe time for me to relax and enjoy it. It is just not in my personality to feel helpless- I like to try to do something about it- which unfortunately in this situation I can't. And it annoys me to no end!

Return to “HELLP Syndrome Survivors and Underlying Disorders”