What is your family history vs yours?

Have you suffered from HELLP syndrome or had a pregnancy complicated by an underlying disorder? Discuss your concerns here
angieb

Re : What is your family history vs yours?

Postby angieb » Fri Apr 09, 2010 05:49 pm

By definition, I didn't have pre-eclampsia at all (no high blood pressure except one slightly high reading, no trace of protein.)But I got HELLP at 23 weeks and it progressed to class I after our daughter was delivered.

My mom had 4 pregnancies, no pre-eclampsia or anything close to it in any of her pregnancies. Although her four sisters have had struggles with infertility, their pregnancies were perfect, too. My grandmother had 6 kids, no issues, and on the other side, 3 kids, no issues. No pre-eclampsia, hypertensive disorders, PIH, not even gestational diabetes.

However, DH's mom had an eclamptic seizure and stroke when she was pregnant with his youngest brother (they have different fathers.) She was older and didn't have it in her first two pregnancies (there was a different father for the normal pregnancies.)

I really don't think in my case it's genetic at all.

anonpreemiemom

Postby anonpreemiemom » Fri Apr 09, 2010 04:06 pm

My Grandmother had toxemia/pre-eclampsia in the majority of her 6 pregnancies and I believe lost the first two babies due to it. My Mom was the first to survive and was still only 4 lbs (I suspect she had IUGR) Each baby got bigger/each pregnancy got longer. My cousin had pre-eclampsia and lost her baby at 24 weeks. :( She went on to have a second pregnancy and made it to 34 weeks before it hit again! And finally my husband's Mom had 3 children, and pre-eclampsia with the 2nd.

So I certainly face some genetic risk to say the least! Interestingly my Mom had no problems and my sister and I were 9 and 8.5 lbs respectively. And my husband (after his mom's pre-eclampsia pregnancy) ended up being 9-9.5 lbs!

We have yet to identify a clotting or autoimmune gene in the family, only chronic hypertension in both my cousin and grandma that got it. (I had low BP and took me by surprise when I got pre-e in 2005)

lilysmommymindy

Postby lilysmommymindy » Fri Apr 09, 2010 03:53 pm

I'm the first in my family to have Preeclampsia or HELLP syndrome. My father is adopted, so it's unclear what his family history is regarding this type of complications. Yup, so as far as I know, I'm the one and only!

l412angel

Postby l412angel » Fri Apr 09, 2010 01:09 pm

My mom had toxemia with me. I was born full term and healthy.

I believe if PE is caught, most doctors will not let you get "so bad"

If it goes undiagnosed thats when problems arise.

I think you best bet would be to speak with an MFM.

So sorry to hear about the loss of your sweet son!

jean

What is your family history vs yours?

Postby jean » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:33 am

My mom had toxemia( pre-e) with her first child (me). She was in the hospital for a month before I was delivered. I was born a month early. (So basically that all started 2 months in advance of when I was supposed to be born)

4 years later my mom had a son (my brother) and delivered full term without complications.

I had HELLP develop at 28 weeks. I did not have pre-eclampsia at all-it just went straight into HELLP. Our son was born at 29 weeks, but contracted NEC and didn't make it.

I am thinking about a second pregnancy, but am scared. I don't know if I'd change anything or not. (depends on what the dr says, if I get results from underlying condition tests, etc...)

Return to “HELLP Syndrome Survivors and Underlying Disorders”