Hypothyroidism???

Have you suffered from HELLP syndrome or had a pregnancy complicated by an underlying disorder? Discuss your concerns here
isabella

Re : Hypothyroidism???

Postby isabella » Fri Sep 19, 2008 08:21 pm

Hi.

I too was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism after HELLP and severe preeclampsia. I am taking Synthroid which is a hormone replacement. I have been taking synthroid for more than one year, the doctor said I have to take it for life. I hope your doctor gives you the treatment you need and you start feeling better.

bellemama

Postby bellemama » Tue Sep 16, 2008 08:10 pm

Thanks, Caryn -- actually, they are puzzled because my levels don't match what they should be with this problem. They were somewhat surprised to find this, as they had pretty much decided I really have a pituitary problem. So we'll see...

Either way, it does sort of explain some things.

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:00 am

(not to hijack the thread, but)

Val! They figured it out?? I'm so pleased to hear that!

bellemama

Postby bellemama » Sun Sep 14, 2008 09:00 am

I just found out that I have multinodular toxic goiter, and probably had it before my pg (I couldn't figure out why my son is 8 months old and I feel worse, not better!) I know my TSH used to be on the high side, before my first son was born.

I've had 10 pgs and born only 2 children, so a history of m/c...I wonder how many were due to my thyroid? And I had HELLP/PE/PIH with both pgs...

kim

Postby kim » Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:06 pm

I, too, found out (after P/E and HELLP) that I have Grave's and Hashimoto's Diseases (both associated with hypothyroidism). Hopefully you will get on some replacement hormone soon and be feeling much better!

alviarin
Forum Moderator

Postby alviarin » Sun Sep 07, 2008 08:15 pm

Hi, and welcome to the forums. I’m a hypothyroid gal myself.

Hypothyroidism is a risk factor for preeclampsia. Here's a link to an Ask The Experts response (from a member of our Medical Board) on thyroid/PE connection you may be interested in: http://www.preeclampsia.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18419

If you look at the studies of pregnancy outcome and hypothyroidism, the incidence of pre-eclampsia is much higher for those women who were overtly or even sub-clinically hypothyroid before conceiving. (If you are interested you can see a summary of some study findings at http://www.thyroidmanager.org/Chapter14/14-frame.htm -click PRIMARY HYPOTHYROIDISM in the left frame and then scroll down to table 6 in the right frame)

However one study found that even among pregnant women with treated hypothyroidism, their incidence of hypertension and pre-eclampsia was higher than that of the control group (2.3% vs. 1.2% and 4.3% vs. 2.6%)
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/quer ... t=Abstract

It is recommended that TSH should be brought to <= 2.5 mIU/L pre-conception. More frequent thyroid monitoring is necessary during pregnancy, and most hypothyroid women require their thyroid meds upped roughly 30-50% during early pregnancy.
http://www.guideline.gov/summary/summar ... +pregnancy

My endocrinologist actually prefers getting the TSH below 2 mIU/L pre-conception, perhaps because most people without thyroid problems have a TSH between 1-2 mIU/L.

amayasmom

Hypothyroidism???

Postby amayasmom » Sun Sep 07, 2008 06:15 pm

I just went to a Peri for a pre-conception appointment. Turns out he saw me while I was in the hospital when I had PE/HELLP. I didn't remember him at all. The mag clouded my mind so much. Anyway, he said I have a 50% chance of having it again. He ordered additional blood work. So far no underlying conditions have shown up.

Then I went to a seperate doctors appt. for something else and my Dr. had ordered some bloodwork. The bloodwork came back saying I have Hypothyroidism. I don't think it was too much higher than normal, but it was still not normal. So I did some research and found right on Mayo Clinic's website that Hypothyroidism can cause PE!!! Does anyone have this or know any more about this?

Return to “HELLP Syndrome Survivors and Underlying Disorders”