For those who've had HELLP

Have you suffered from HELLP syndrome or had a pregnancy complicated by an underlying disorder? Discuss your concerns here
kteacher

Re : For those who've had HELLP

Postby kteacher » Mon May 05, 2008 11:06 pm

Rachel- I just laughed at your post "kind of importnat don't ya think?!" The laugh was for the stupidity of no one bothering to tell you that! I mean that would be good to know for future pregnancies to keep a watch on!

My story- I found out after I delivered. My family knew before...but my dh and I were clueless...all I knew was my doctor said my platelets were at 15,000 and I couldn't have an epidural b/c I could bleed into my spine and be paralyzed. I thought, "well crap, I guess it will be natural". After delivery, and doped up on Demerol, I heard "platelet transfusion, two bags of o-", "at least 24 hours in ICU". I thought (now remember I was doped) oh wow, this can't be good, people who are doing good do not go to ICU". My doctor later brought me some info from the Internet to my room. He explained some and said he would explain more at my follow-up appt after I got out of the hospital. He was wonderful. He didn't tell dh and me at delivery b/c he knew it would not help get dear Abby out any faster. I was able to enjoy the delivery (well if you don't count the pain) without being worried about myself.
Every appt after that my dear doctor would say "15,000, have you ever, 15,000" to the nurse in the room. I scared him to death...he was very forceful on "if you were my wife you would not have another baby"...but he was young and scared. He dx me right away. When I thanked him for everything he simply said, "It was God, not me that helped you."
Too bad he moved away...though he would probably be really mad I was ttc again! :)

rachelc

Postby rachelc » Fri Mar 28, 2008 07:32 pm

I found out yesterday that I had it with my first child who will be 9 years old in September. I was looking through my old medical records that I had requested when I was having infertility issues. There it was in black and white "induced due to PIH and HELLP syndrome". No one ever bothered to mention this to me. Kind of important don't ya think?!

momma1408

Postby momma1408 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 04:01 pm

Throughout my whole pregnancy I was looking out for signs of Preeclampsia that I read about in my what to expect when expecting book. I did notice some of the signs but as my doctor was screening me for the disease all tests were coming back negative. Finally I went to the emeregency room because I couldn't breathe. When I had got there they mentioned they were going to measure the amount of protein I was putting out and do some blood tests to see if I was positive for Preeclampsia. Well later when all the tests were back I heard the worst news I possibly could've gotten at 32 weeks pregnant. I was told that I was going to give birth to my son before I left the hospital. They said I had gone from all tests coming back negative for PE to having a severe case of it which could've led to Eclampsia which would cause seizures and strokes and even death. Later when more blood tests came back they said that I had severe HELLP syndrome and my platelette count was severly low. I was induced into labor and at only 4 centimeters I got a continuous epidural on a pump. They had to do the epidural before my platelettes got any lower because it was very risky to do it even when they did because I could have blead to death. I was in labor for about 22 hours and towards the end right before I was fully dialated they were scared that I would have to have a cesarian section which would have been extremely dangerous because I would not be able to clot my own blood and they would have had to do blood transfusions in order for me to have a chance at survival. This was extremely scary for my fiance and I seeing that I am only 21 years old, it was our first child, and I was seriously ill. The good news in all of this is that my son is healthy and doing well after spending 46 days in the intensive care unit at ********** ******* ****** (all the nurses and staff were amazing!!)and will be 3 months old on April 4th. I am also doing well.

melissaparsons

Postby melissaparsons » Fri Mar 21, 2008 09:43 pm

Well, my doctor told me I might have severe post-partum PE 4 days after having my baby, and sent me to the hospital. They put me on mag and then the next day when she came to visit, she said I did have severe pp PE and that I also had HELLP. She never did tell me it was something to look for in my next pregnancy. I guess she figured I would do what most people do and look it up on the internet when I got home. I'm glad I did.

kelly827

Postby kelly827 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 08:11 pm

New here so I thought I would share..

I sort of found out the night I went to the ER. My daugther was born at 3:43 am on March 7th and by the evening of March 10th (while at home) I had a pounding headache and couldn't lay down because it felt like something was in my lungs. I also had a strange dull ache right between my breasts that I had never felt before and was swollen beyond belief but the nurses had assured me it was normal. I drove myself and my newborn baby girl to the ER where they ran a dozen tests, from what I remember my blood pressure was 171/109, my oxygen level was only at 80 and I had fluid in my lungs . I was told a few hours later that I had postpartum pre-eclampsia and was air lifted to a larger hospital but I still did not realize the seriousness of it all.

I was in the ICU and told later that morning that I actually had HELLPS although I believe they said I did not have lowered platelets, but I never saw my record so I am unsure about that exactly. I know they explained that the pain under my breasts was caused by elevated liver enzymes.

It was a scary time and I have suffered anxiety problems and nights are sometimes hard as out of nowhere I will think the fluid is back in my lungs and I can't breathe. And it has been 6 years since this happened!

cindergretta

Postby cindergretta » Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:43 pm

Old topic, but I am re-living the past tonight....

I went in to the OB with severe epi-gastric pain. I was tested for gall stones/infection, kidney stones, appendicitis, etc. I was sent for blood work, u/ss, C/T scans, etc. I was in and out of the hospital over the course of 10 days while they tried to figure out what was wrong. Finally, I was admitted for kidney stones (found in C/T scan) and IV antibiotics (high white blood cell count) and IV morphine. (10 days on Vicodin and it wasn't working anymore.) The following morning the nurse came in and said my labs were showing pre-e. I told her she was wrong, I had already had pre-e twice before and to find something else. I couldn't face it (and induction) again. They just had to be wrong. Six hours later she came back with my OB (the 90 minute block my dh happened to NOT be there!!!) and very gravely informed me that I had HELLP Syndrome and they needed to start mag immediately and induce. I had NO IDEA what HELLP was and told them "no." I was refusing induction (now I was in tears) and they had to wait for my dh to return. They were SO kind and gentle and said they would wait to start the pitocin until he got back, but the mag was a must and NOW. I agreed and while we waited for dh, they gently asked me why I was so opposed to induction and what I wanted, etc. Dh showed up about 30 minutes later and they started the pit and were very accomodating to my labor wants within the confines of inducing a pre-term baby in a mother w/ HELLP. I have no complaints IRT my care at that time. I knew they really cared about my health/survival and baby's health/survival, but also about my emotional needs, too.

texasgirl

Postby texasgirl » Tue Dec 18, 2007 01:49 pm

I was in triage for having contractions pretty regularly. The triage nurse said my BP was high and needed to run labs to confirm pregnancy induced hypertension. My OB was doing rounds and couldn't make it to me right away. They sent me walking while they processed the labs to see if my contractions would get any stronger (which they didn't), and by the time I came back, the nurse said my OB wanted to do a C-section b/c of the hypertension. It wasn't until I was leaving triage to head for the OR when my doc stopped us in the hall to tell us what was going on. She told me I had HELLP and the baby needed out ASAP. She took the time to explain what it was and that I gave no prior indication of going into it at my visits.

Looking back now, I realize I did show signs of it beginning at 37 weeks with the abdominal pain. The after hours nurse said it was nothing to be concerned about and it was probably my gallbladder. She said to call back if it didn't go away after 24 hours, which it did. I also had blurred vision and a headache that wouldnt' go away that started on my due date. I had DS 3 days later.

shakundala

Postby shakundala » Sat Dec 15, 2007 03:38 am

My experience is similars to jen home1 I found out at 3 in the morning. I drove myself to the emergency room. I was vomitting and dehyrated also. The doctors had to do an emergency c-section on me. But the worst part is that i had went to the doctor the day before and they treated me for foodpoisoning. Afterarriving to the hospital the doctors could not find out what was wrong with me untill three hours later.

jen_home1

Postby jen_home1 » Sun Dec 09, 2007 01:11 am

I found out in the hospital, an hour before my emergency c-section. After a rough morning of horrible pain, vomitting and dehydration, they sent me to get an ultrasound. The dr came up to the room where they were doing it and said, "These bloodwork results are off the chart and the baby is coming out within the hour by emergency c-section. By the way, he is breech, too". He explained the numbers and told us what HELLP meant and that the only cure was getting the baby out, but we couldn't wait for an induction. However, I didn't really grasp how scary it was until later because everything happened so fast.

Thanks to my OB - he had us come in right away when my husband called saying that I was puking.

frumiousb

Postby frumiousb » Sun Dec 02, 2007 05:17 am

I found out that I had HELLP on top of the severe preeclampsia after I had been in the hospital for a week. The baby had died in Utero, and I think that they thought I was going to improve after that. They had started induction (perhaps a little bit earlier than they would have liked, but I was begging to go home) and I was waiting for labor to begin.

When the doctor came in with the nurse (and not a resident), then I knew something was up. They explained that instead of getting better, my labs were getting steadily worse and my platelets were dropping. My BP was also creeping up again after apparently stablizing once Sophie had died. They said that they were going to give me very strong BP medication, and that I could not have an epidural during the delivery because they were too scared that I would bleed out into my spinal column. I had planned a natural childbirth, but not under those circumstances.

Luckily, I was in a special unit by that time which only gets the very bad pree/HELLP cases, so they knew what to do.

Cheryl

Return to “HELLP Syndrome Survivors and Underlying Disorders”