Low Carnitine Levels in baby - metabolic issues

Have you suffered from HELLP syndrome or had a pregnancy complicated by an underlying disorder? Discuss your concerns here
jenchar

Re : Low Carnitine Levels in baby - metabolic issues

Postby jenchar » Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:29 pm

I had a 27 weeker 3 1/2 years ago. All of her state screens came back with low carnitine. After much testing in the NICU and by our pedi after NICU, her levels normalized out.

Our neo said that he saw low carnitine a lot with his preemies, and that I shouldn't worry about it too much. He kept telling me that neonatology didn't really "know" what were supposed to be normal values in micropreemies, and that there simply wasn't enough research into it. They repeated the tests to calm my fears, but eventually, Meghan's tests normalized.

We eventually found out she had a different genetic disorder called Alpha-1, but that doesn't cause carnitine deficiency.

I hope your kiddo's tests normalize over time. Virtual hugs.

Hope this helps.
Jen

me2wired

Postby me2wired » Tue Oct 16, 2007 02:00 am

There's a whole host of metabolic issues associated with Carnitine deficiency actually. Very long, very medical names that I wouldn't have a clue how to spell let alone say! If you want to see a study that has the full medical explanation and reasoning of what I'm referring to you can see that here:

http://www.greenjournal.org/cgi/content/full/103/5/876

But in particular is this paragraph:

"The possible role of abnormal lipid metabolism, in particular, abnormal fatty acid oxidation, in the pathophysiology of preeclampsia was recently demonstrated: 79% of the pregnant women who are carrying a fetus with a long-chain 3-hydroxyacyl-CoA dehydrogenase deficiency, a defect in the mitochondrial fatty acid oxidation, develop the hemolysis, elevated liver enzymes, low platelets (HELLP) syndrome, a severe consequence of preeclampsia.6 This is most likely the result of toxic metabolites originating from the long-chain 3-hydroxyacyl-CoA dehydrogenase–deficient placenta entering the maternal circulation. This finding is also of interest because it is generally accepted that the placenta is a key factor in the pathophysiology of preeclampsia and is thought to be the main source of factors that eventually lead to endothelial cell dysfunction in the mother."

So in this case it's very convincing evidence that the fetus' condition is what caused my HELLP. I hate to refer to my little baby boy as a fetus but I'm sure you all get the point. :) This shouldn't be misread to say that babies born to mothers that had HELLP have this metabolic issue. Rather that, in this particular case, if the fetus has the rare metabolic issue then it's likely that the mother will develop HELLP.

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Tue Oct 16, 2007 01:16 am

Thank you for posting this! It's news to me.

They're standardizing the newborn screens nationwide, I think. Is that carnitine palmitoyltransferase I deficiency?

me2wired

Low Carnitine Levels in baby - metabolic issues

Postby me2wired » Mon Oct 15, 2007 01:56 pm

I had my son 10 1/2 weeks ago, delivered at 27 weeks because of HELLP. We are on our 3rd round of our state's Newborn Screening because he has low Carnitine levels. This is apparently a rare metabolic disease dealing with fatty acids and we've been told that in instances of low carnitine levels in a fetus, it has shown a prevelance for causing HELLP syndrome in the mother! It's actually, in a way, a bit refreshing knowing that my HELLP was caused by something and has a reason attached to it. The doctors have told us that one of their first questions when they see a child with this metabolic issue is if the mother had HELLP.

I was wondering if anyone else just might have a baby with carnitine issues. I know it's rare but thought this would be a good place to ask.

Return to “HELLP Syndrome Survivors and Underlying Disorders”