Tingling feet and hands

Have you suffered from HELLP syndrome or had a pregnancy complicated by an underlying disorder? Discuss your concerns here
bonnie
Forum Moderator

Re : Tingling feet and hands

Postby bonnie » Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:57 pm

One thing they might be looking for is Raynaud's Phenomenon (or Syndrome). It can be "primary" or "secondary" (to an autoimmune disease such as SLE or RA).

I have secondary Raynaud's. For me, it affects almost exclusively my hands. feel free to PM if you'd like more information.

Good luck and keep us posted.

jenndola
Forum Moderator

Postby jenndola » Tue Nov 07, 2006 01:41 pm

jenndola
Forum Moderator

Postby jenndola » Tue Nov 07, 2006 01:02 pm

Danae, my guess would be they're checking the blood flow in your extremeties. The ice water would make the vessels constrict, cutting off blood flow, and then when you pull them out, they could ultrasound and see how the vessels do at refilling with blood.

Just a guess, but since your doc has been thinking vascular, it'd make sense.

deerhart

Postby deerhart » Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:05 am

If you have any swelling or compression on the spinal cord in certain areas it can cause the numbness and tingling. Usually its also accomapnied by pain, but not always

dja

Postby dja » Tue Nov 07, 2006 00:51 am

Well, I had some bloodwork done, and today had a strange ultrasound done on my feet after trying to keep them plunged in ice cold water for 3 minutes. I only made it 1 minute before it was so painful I couldn't continue! I'm not sure what today's test is designed to show, and I won't get to see the doc for results until the 22nd. I'll ask about the B12 possibility. But in the meantime, the tingling goes on. [:p]

iansmom

Postby iansmom » Mon Nov 06, 2006 05:47 pm

Well, just another thought. My sister was just dxd with severe B12 deficiency. Apparently a symptom is tingling in hands & feet as well as fatigue. Causes of it are usually malabsorption due to either Celiac disease or Crohn's disease. Or liver disease that won't allow your body to store B12. My doc says there are indicators on routine blood test that would warrant testing B12 levels. (so insurance would pay, of course)

alviarin
Forum Moderator

Postby alviarin » Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:06 am

She has type II diabetes (adult onset).

dja

Postby dja » Thu Oct 19, 2006 01:33 am

Alanna - thanks for your post. I am particularly curious about the autoimmune aspect of this, and the diabetes one as well. What form of diabetes does your friend have? I don't have diabetes, but it helps to hear about someone who has had a similar tingling thing going on.

alviarin
Forum Moderator

Postby alviarin » Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:34 am

A friend of the family had something similar, and it turned out to be peripheral neuropathy due to diabetes. Hers was also worse at night, but it was mostly in her feet. Once she started treatment for diabetes it went away.

I've read peripheral neuropathy can also be caused by autoimmune disorders like Hashimoto's thyroiditis, lupus, and celiac disease. Or by nutritional deficiencies or drug side effects.

I hope your doc finds an answer for you soon.

jenndola
Forum Moderator

Postby jenndola » Tue Oct 17, 2006 01:54 am

You know, I'm always impressed by doctors who admit they don't know things. I'm glad your internist is looking into it--hopefully he'll be able to find some answers for you.

Return to “HELLP Syndrome Survivors and Underlying Disorders”