Elevated BP Early in Pregnancy

laura.vornbrock

Re: Elevated BP Early in Pregnancy

Postby laura.vornbrock » Tue Sep 27, 2016 06:52 am

Thanks for the insight into all of this. I'm on two BP meds now, but I'm going back to the high risk OB in the morning. My BP has been all over the map and it's just not staying under control. So frustrating, but I'm hopeful the high risk OB will be able to help!

jenh

Re: Elevated BP Early in Pregnancy

Postby jenh » Tue Sep 27, 2016 05:07 am

Because your BP has gone up so early, you would be considered to have unmasked chronic hypertension. Even if you had normal BP before pregnancy, the idea is some of us have a predisposition toward high blood pressure that will be brought out at some point in our lives, and the stress of pregnancy is what brought it out in you. Chronic hypertension is a risk factor for PE, as is your previous PE pregnancy. (By the way, not sure how long ago your first was born, but protein is no longer required for a diagnosis.) However, it doesn't guarantee you'll get it. And even if you do, they should be monitoring you closely and managing as best they can to get baby as far along as possible without endangering either of your lives. Your chance of a healthy mom/healthy baby outcome is good.

There are other medications they can go to if labetelol isn't enough. I'm not as up to date on all the current meds, as my last pregnancy was eight years ago and I only needed labetolol, but I do know there are others. They will work with you to find the best combo.
Jen
Wife to Brett 6/30/02
Mom to Ethne Joy 10/12/03, 35 weeks, severe PE
Mom to Catie Grace 12/8/06, 37 weeks, mild PE
Mom to Riley Faith and Gavin Arthur 7/7/09, 36 weeks, PIH 22 weeks, PE 31 weeks, severe post partum PE
Mom to four angels Grace (12/15/05), Ian (7/28/08), Declan (5/23/15), and Lucy (11/24/15)

laura.vornbrock

Elevated BP Early in Pregnancy

Postby laura.vornbrock » Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:41 pm

Hey all - I'm new to posting on here, but have been a snooper for awhile. My daughter is 16 months now, but was delivered early due to severe atypical pre-e (atypical because I never had protein in my urine). I'm now pregnant with my second (14 weeks today!) and my BP has been creeping up for about the last week. A couple nights ago we ended up in the ER for IV Labetelol to get things under control. My OB has me on Labetelol and trusts me to check my BP and titrate my dose as needed, with up to 1500mg a day being my max dosage. I'm concerned about (1) this starting so early and (2) needing so much Labetelol so early - what happens when the max dose quits controlling the BP?! Anyone have BP up early and have insight for me? Thanks in advance.

Return to “Arizona”