The fear is real

Are you considering having another child after preeclampsia? Trying again after preeclampsia can be an emotional challenge. You can find support with others who share your concerns here.
alviarin
Forum Moderator

Re: The fear is real

Postby alviarin » Fri Feb 10, 2017 05:54 pm

I'm sorry to hear you are having a rough time (and had such a rough pregnancy).

My sister-in-law suffered from hyperemesis, and was even hospitalized for it during her first pregnancy. If she hadn't found a med combo that helped her with the vomiting I doubt she would have had more than one kiddo.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like you had preeclampsia close to term? As you may know, preeclampsia at term has a lower risk of re-occurence: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=331

I struggled with whether or not to try for third since I was afraid of getting pre-e again. It took a lot of time and a lot of prayer to be ok with trying again, even though I had previously always wanted a big family.

Some of our posters have sought counseling to help cope with anxiety and even PTSD after dealing with preeclampsia. Is that something that might be helpful for you?

And this is going to sound totally random but were you screened for thyroid problems as part of your infertility work up?

I hope you are able to find some peace with whatever your decide. Be gentle with yourself.
Hypothyroid mom to
Connor (severe pre-e at 38 weeks)
Claire (dx'd with pre-e and induction at 37 weeks)
Annabelle (chronic HTN & GD, superimposed pre-e @34 weeks, induction @37 weeks)

onika.witzke

The fear is real

Postby onika.witzke » Tue Jan 24, 2017 03:29 am

My pregnancy was all but enjoyable. I puked everyday, including the day I was wheeled into the operating room for c-section because of pre-e. I was given medications to prevent a siezure which made my vision start jumping. My daughter was born five days late and was healthy. I did not develop pre-e until the last check-up or at least that was when it was caught.

I long to have another child, however I can not stand the thought of dealing with this all again. It started with a bleeding scare at 7 months, then the pre-e, not to mention vomiting daily. We have contemplated adoption but there are risks there too.

I feel inadequate. I guess I should of mentioned I have PCOS and infertility too so getting pregnant in the first place was a miracle. How does one decide what is best? Do I go back on the fertility pills that make me feel crazy knowing there is a chance I can get really sick or even die? Or do I seek out the adoption option? This topic is hard because I feel like if you haven't dealt with it you don't understand. It's a grieving process. I grieve that I was told I may never have kids, to having an unpleasant pregnancy and then getting very ill. I grieve and feel alone at times in this journey, but hold onto faith that God has a plan.

Return to “Trying Again after Preeclampsia”