post partum preeclampsia now and a baby after the ordeal?

Are you considering having another child after preeclampsia? Trying again after preeclampsia can be an emotional challenge. You can find support with others who share your concerns here.
beth.arias

Re: post partum preeclampsia now and a baby after the ordeal?

Postby beth.arias » Mon Sep 14, 2015 05:27 pm

I have 3 children ages 5,3 and 1. With my last 2 I developed post partum pre-e. I saw a regular ob while pregnant with my 1st and 2nd and a mfm while pregnant with my 3rd. I developed symptoms (shortness of breath from pulmonary edema at days 5 and 6 post partum) which prompted me to go into the ER. My dr was much better prepared to deal with my symptoms as a mfm than my regular ob. I was treated with Lasix each time. The 3rd baby I was also treated with mag and labetelol for 6 weeks. I'm meeting with my mfm next month to discuss a 4th pregnancy and the risks associated with it. I've found that 37 week induction may be a way to help post partum pre-e (someone posted an article from this site) and that the less time in between pregnancies can also help as well. Best wishes.

alviarin
Forum Moderator

Re: post partum preeclampsia now and a baby after the ordeal

Postby alviarin » Tue Jan 06, 2015 09:20 pm

I didn't have postpartum preeclampsia per se, but I have a history of preeclampsia at pretty much term (37-38 weeks). With my second pregnancy my preeclampsia became worse after delivery instead of better.

In general your odds are good since you had preeclampsia so late in pregnancy. viewtopic.php?f=19&t=331. Also in general, if preeclampsia does happen again it is usually less severe.

Some of our posters have met with an a MFM (Maternal Fetal Medicine) doc specializing in high risk pregnancies after experiencing preclampsia to test for underlying disorders, get a better idea of their individual odds of re-occurence, and to talk about how any subsequent pregnancies should be managed.
Hypothyroid mom to
Connor (severe pre-e at 38 weeks)
Claire (dx'd with pre-e and induction at 37 weeks)
Annabelle (chronic HTN & GD, superimposed pre-e @34 weeks, induction @37 weeks)

chatknuff

post partum preeclampsia now and a baby after the ordeal?

Postby chatknuff » Fri Dec 12, 2014 03:45 am

Currently having postpartum preeclampsia and been in the hospital 3 times after c section. However my husband and I planned on trying to conceive within the next year. Anyone have postpartum Preeclampsia then had another child after? Did it happen again? I never had any high blood pressure or severe symptoms till days after baby was born. Was very scary spending 13 days total in hospital away from my newborn.

Return to “Trying Again after Preeclampsia”