When do you stop TTC

Are you considering having another child after preeclampsia? Trying again after preeclampsia can be an emotional challenge. You can find support with others who share your concerns here.
angieb

Re : When do you stop TTC

Postby angieb » Wed May 05, 2010 06:31 pm

I would take an opk anyway (and if you aren't temping/charting, I highly recommend that too so you can confirm that you ovulated). My pains actually come 10 or so days before I ovulate (which my doctors tell me is really unusual and they have no idea why, but when we look at my charts, it holds up.) My LH surge lasts 2.5 days so you might still get a positive.

bernadic

Postby bernadic » Wed May 05, 2010 05:21 pm

Thanks again for all the help ladies!!

Angie B-guess what came in the mail today-a day late! I could have used one yesterday with that funny pain to be sure. Oh well, there is next month. :)

Rebecca-thanks for the extra info. That does not seem too bad and I have enough sick time to cover time off if we choose to go that route. Good luck with your pregnancy! I am rooting for you!

rebecca2

Postby rebecca2 » Wed May 05, 2010 00:09 am

Recovery after IVF varies from person to person. It seems to really depend on how many eggs are retrieved, if you have other complications like endometriosis, previous surgery on ovaries, etc. I didn't have much pain at all and I think that is the *typical* response for most women. I took motrin or tylenol at the clinic and maybe once again later that day, but that was it. Most time away from work will be prior to retrieval because of all the lab work & ultra sound monitoring. Sometimes you have to go in daily depending on your numbers. That might be more difficult as a teacher. My RE was pretty efficient so total time at his office including the waiting room was usually under 30 min and always under 1 hour, so I would go 1st thing in the morning and just work until 6 to make up my time. That might be more difficult as a teacher since you can't just leave those kids unattended for an hour. The good news is you typically only stim for 7-11 days, so it is only a 1-2 week period of uncertainty in your schedule.

As for the procedure, I took the day of retrieval off, the day of transfer off and one or two days after the transfer. The transfer doesn't hurt at all. It is uncomfortable because you have a full bladder and they are pressing on your belly with an u/s probe. Some clinics recommend 1-3 days of bed rest after the transfer and some recommend no bed rest to help with implantation. My RE didn't recommend any, but I took a day or so off to relax around the house (no bed rest) just because I hated my job at the time. ;)

Yes, I had that funny pain while on clomid, which is weird because I never produced more than one follicle while taking it and I ovulate on natural cycles anyway.

sam10
Forum Moderator

Postby sam10 » Tue May 04, 2010 11:29 pm

I am glad that Becky could jump in with an explanation of how the eggs are checked for their quality.

I do not experience ovulation pain usually. I was just on chlomid for one cycle, which was pretty awful (I experienced so much anger and rage, apart from not feeling physically all that well) and then was switched to Femara, which was better, but did not do the trick for me either.

It definitely could be ovulation pain you are experiencing, but also could be all kinds of other things too.

Keeping my fingers crossed!

angieb

Postby angieb » Tue May 04, 2010 08:58 pm

I get ovulation pains every month. Hopefully that is what the pain was. Get busy! :)

bernadic

Postby bernadic » Tue May 04, 2010 08:56 pm

I have an appt at the end of June to discuss all of this! It is so hard to get an appt. and we are gone the beginning of June on a trip. Oh well, at least we have time to think and discuss it. How much recovery time do you need for IVF? I am a teacher and have the summer off so now is a good time to explore this option. It was hard doing the IUI stuff with drugs while working. I did it, but it was complicated.

Questions for you fertility girls and sorry if it is TMI, when I was on the Ovidrel for the trigger and the Clomid/Femara treatment, I had a funny pain on my side by the ovary during ovulation-usually 12 hours after the trigger. The RE nurse said that is normal. Did you girls have this? I did not do a trigger or any drugs this month and today I have the funny pain. Don't have the OPK since I just ordered them the other day. Hmm-could it be a good size egg and maybe this discussion wasn't needed? Thanks for the hope and good advice!

rebecca2

Postby rebecca2 » Tue May 04, 2010 01:09 pm

quote:Originally posted by Sam10

I do not know if the doctors would or can look at the eggs before fertilization,but let me try find that out for you.

At the clinic I go to they look at the eggs immediately after retrieval and assign them a grade. Once they rolled me out of the OR and into the recovery room, my RE was able to tell me how many he thought were viable. (He was within 1 for both retrievals with his estimate of viable eggs vs number that fertilized.) They usually go ahead and try to fertilize all of them. At least at my clinic, with traditional IVF it costs the same regardless of # of eggs, so you don't loose anything by giving the poor looking ones a chance. Since the grades at most labs are based on visual observation only, sometimes those poor looking ones make babies.

sam10
Forum Moderator

Postby sam10 » Mon May 03, 2010 10:41 pm

I do not know if the doctors would or can look at the eggs before fertilization,but let me try find that out for you.

rebecca2

Postby rebecca2 » Mon May 03, 2010 09:15 pm

Maja, I'm actually one of the lucky ones that had some IVF coverage through insurance, but I still had to pay out of pocket for certain things. I've gone through 2 fresh cycles and one frozen cycle, so I'll share what I know about cost.

At my clinic a single fresh IVF cycle costs approximately $9,900 without ICSI or $11,500 with ICSI. (ICSI is used if there is male factor infertility. It involves injecting a single sperm into the egg, otherwise they just drop some sperm in with the egg and let the sperm fight for it so to speak. ;) ) Those prices assume $1,700 in pharmaceutical costs. The cost of medication varies drastically from patient to patient. A frozen cycle costs about $2,700 at my clinic plus meds, but the meds for a frozen cycle are fairly cheap--maybe $200-300.

A lot of clinics now offer a *shared risk* plan. Prices vary per clinic, but on average I think they run around $20,000. With these plans you typically have to qualify by being under a certain age, blood work with in a certain range, etc. However, you get between 4-6 fresh cycles for that price and if you don't take home a baby you get a refund. The refund varies between clinics, but a lot of them offer 100% back excluding meds. I know ladies who have gone this route and "over paid" because they got pregnant the first time and others who got a "deal" because it took 4 tries to get pregnant.

One thing to keep in mind is insurance might cover some things, such as ultrasounds or medicine, which might not sound like a lot but meds can run $2500 or more. Also, if you decide to do IVF or injectible IUI make sure you use a speciality pharmacy and not just your local drug store. You can save hundreds if not thousands of $, plus the speciality ones are familiar with the process and will alert you if you haven't ordered something you might need.

As for which RE to use. I'm always in favor of using a doctor you like, but I would also recommend you check out their success rates on the SART site. All RE's have to submit their rates and it is broken down into age groups and reason for infertility. I would say make sure your clinic has decent rates, but they don't have to be the best. Some clinics only treat easy cases to keep there stats high, so I wouldn't pick one clinic over another because one has 60% success rates while the other has 50%. However, if one only has 10% and the others average 50%, I'd be leery.

Let me know if you have more questions...

bernadic

Postby bernadic » Mon May 03, 2010 07:55 pm

You girls sure know a lot. I will discuss single IVF with DH tonight. That seems very logical. A possible option.

Sam-can they look at the eggs before they try to fertilize them since I know they might be junky? If only 1 egg out the lot is looking good before they fertilize it, then are the others tossed before they are fertilized and become embryos or are they all fertilized anyways?

Rebecca-Congrats on 32 weeks. What a big milestone!!! I wonder if my PE is scaring the RE away from IVF. Hate to be nosy, I know it probably was in the book that the RE gave us, but how much are we looking at-$10,000 per time? The IUI were about $1000 per month not including meds and ultrasounds. Also, I found price to vary by $500 for IUIs that I had done at the 2 offices. How do you pick the right IVF place? If I go that route, do I stick with the 1st doc that I liked but know is very pricey? Any thoughts?

Return to “Trying Again after Preeclampsia”