Fertility treatment after PE

Are you considering having another child after preeclampsia? Trying again after preeclampsia can be an emotional challenge. You can find support with others who share your concerns here.
bernadic

Re : Fertility treatment after PE

Postby bernadic » Fri Jun 11, 638923 9:22 am

Rebecca2-Thanks for the info on RESOLVE-never knew it existed! I briefly clicked to that site and didn't know that the meeting take place at the same NICU hospital we had my son and RE #1 was out of. Wonder why it was never mentioned.

Sheri-ct-RE #1 was very nice and I felt comfortable with him. RE #2 is average at best. My husband said he won't go to any more RE-enough is enough-stick with #2 and be done-any suggestions as you dealt with it for 7 years???

Thanks for all your input!

beth11

Postby beth11 » Thu Jun 10, 638923 11:28 pm

We did IUI w/ injectibles to conceive our twins. After losing them to HELLP, we met with our MFM and our RE - and they met with each other - to come up with a plan. My MFM felt that it was *so* important to only carry one. My RE agreed, to some extent, but of course her job is just to get me pregnant :), so it was of less importance to her I felt.

We discussed a single transfer IVF, but she (my RE) thought that it was unnecessary to incurr that cost for such a low chance of success, especially since we're unexplained. She encouraged us to try IUI again. We were going to start unmedicated, just for the heck of it - it doesn't have a a high chance of success, but it also doesn't carry a high cost. If we moved on to medicated I was to be much more monitored than before and we were going to be much more quick to cancel the cycle if I had many mature follicles. It made me a nervous wreck!

After all that, we ended up conceiving the cycle before we were set to go back for treatments. I don't have high FSH, so I'm afraid I can't offer any insight there. I will tell you that my MFM feels strongly that carrying a single this time is a large part of the reason this pregnancy has gone so well. . .

But, like you said - with IF, easier said than done. It's a definite insult added to injury, and I'm sorry you're facing this.

sheri-ct
Forum Moderator

Postby sheri-ct » Thu Jun 10, 638923 2:45 pm

Yes, I went through infertility treatments after experiencing pre-e (I did IVF for both pregnancies). I met with my RE to go over what happened with my 1st pregnancy, but I also talked with my OB and met with MFM. I had a twin pregnancy the 1st time and everyone agreed that a singleton would be the goal the 2nd time around for a safest delivery, but with IF treatments, that is never a guarantee. We all had to be prepared. Do you feel comfortable with your RE? I loved my RE and felt very comfortable with him, but I met with several doctors before finding him. Your FSH is slightly elevated, but is not really that high. With infertility, age is a HUGE factor. Please let me know if you have any questions. I went thought IF treatments for 7 years and did it all!

Sheri

rebecca2

Postby rebecca2 » Thu Jun 10, 638923 12:30 pm

I don't have high FSH, but I did fertility treatments (IVF) with both of my pregnancies. You might want to check out the RESOLVE bulletin boards. I know there are women on there with high FSH. I've seen women on that board get pregnant with FSH higher than yours, but most of the time it was with some type of treatment.

Also wanted to say that after I lost my daughter to PE, I feared multiples in a future pregnancy so I only transferred one embryo last time. (I didn't think I could go through selective reduction either.) It was successful and I'll be 25 weeks tomorrow with a little boy. Just wanted to let you know it can work with only 1 embryo.

Sorry, I wish I had advice to help with the cost of IVF. :( Although, you might want to keep an eye on www.clinicaltrials.gov. They list all upcoming and ongoing clinical trials. You might could cycle at a discount or free if you were in a trial. Or, if there is a RESOLVE conference in your area, I would recommend attending. They typically have door prizes which include one free IVF cycle. I won $250 off my IVF meds at one of their conferences and a $100 gift certificate at another.

raspbeari

Postby raspbeari » Sun May 30, 638923 7:35 pm

I am starting to do pursue fertility treatment. My FSH came back at 15, which I found out recently. I'm trying DHEA that they prescribed for 3 months and acupuncture which are both thought to help lower FSH. I'm not sure but I think the DHEA is tried with women who are older (in their 40's) and has been shown to sometimes help. I recently joined an Infertilty/Fertility Forum, and found it helpful.
Good luck, I read they like to see it below 10, so yours isn't too much above that.

bernadic

Fertility treatment after PE

Postby bernadic » Sun May 30, 638923 2:08 pm

Hi girls. I had my son in 06; delivered just shy of 28 weeks due to severe PE, had PP PE and still on bp meds 3 years later. (We had to use Clomid with Luke.) We want baby #2-as crazy as it sounds to people- after all we have been through, but my FSH is high so we need more help getting pregnant. RE #1 used Femara for 4 months and it didn't work. He won't use Clomid due to his knowledge of the side effects and the 4 rounds of Femara is all he is willing to use because of the drama with Luke. RE #2 uses Clomid and would/could use more BUT warns if twins or triplets come of it, the outlook is not good and we would have to select. That is out of the question for us. He would do IVF but the cost is way too high and only 1 embryo would be implanted and the chance of it working is low anyways. Any of you in a similar situation after PE drama? Also, anyone told of a high FSH (mine is about 12) and got pregnant on their own? Thanks for the insight.

Return to “Trying Again after Preeclampsia”