Mixed opinions on asprin

Are you considering having another child after preeclampsia? Trying again after preeclampsia can be an emotional challenge. You can find support with others who share your concerns here.
l412angel

Re : Mixed opinions on asprin

Postby l412angel » Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:38 pm

Ohh yes please do keep me posted! I will think about seeing a Hematologist when I become pregnant again!

missingjasper

Postby missingjasper » Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:12 pm

Well, according to my new OB the blood clot formed because of the lovenox. ALL research I have done says he is wrong. He is not an expert in the matter. What I feel happened is that because I was not put on a higher dose the blood clot started to form. For my whole pregnancy I was on 40mg and I got huge pretty fast. My waist was measuring over 40in by 22 weeks. I believe I should have been put on a higher dose. Everyone that I knew that was on lovenox while pregnant got a higher dose by the 2nd half of their pregnancy except me. I will be talking to my hematologist on April 12th and I should have the truth as to what happened. I think he will be pretty miffed that the blood clot was not found by my OB or my MFM, so he could never treat it. I will be sure to let you know as soon as I know any info.

l412angel

Postby l412angel » Sat Mar 20, 2010 09:32 pm

Wait you were on lovenox and still had a clot? How was the lovenox causing you problems...just curious since I donnt know much about it.

missingjasper

Postby missingjasper » Sat Mar 20, 2010 08:01 pm

That's great that you got such a proactive OB and MFM. Over by me. My OB wouldn't do anything and my MFM wouldn't see me if I didn't have a special Hematologist. When I was pg with Jasper it wasn't the baby asprin that was the problem it was the lovenox; either I wasn't getting enough or I needed to stop and be on strict bedrest for a certain period of time. I still have to talk to my hematologist about why I had a huge blood clot in Jasper's placenta that was causing him not to grow.

l412angel

Postby l412angel » Sat Mar 20, 2010 02:26 pm

I have not seen a Hematologist because my OB and MFM say that being on asprin and lovenox for my next pregnancy are what a hematologist will tell me. I am actually on baby asprin forever because of factor V

missingjasper

Postby missingjasper » Sat Mar 20, 2010 01:34 pm

Laura, Have you seen a specialty Hematologist yet? If not I would suggest seeing one that deals with pregnant women and knows a lot about Factor V and all other blood clotting conditions. I'll tell you if it wasn't for mine I could have probably been dead right now. He was the one that did all the right tests and found out I had the pre-e and HELLP. He also told me that it would be best to stay on the baby asprin for the whole pregnancy because of the factor V.

wrennie

Postby wrennie » Thu Feb 25, 2010 08:12 am

I also took LDA, but I stopped a week before TTC, and resumed per my MFM at 10 weeks. I do believe it helped my pregnancy as I had uterine artery knotching, and then after several weeks of LDA it was gone!

I am also on it for the rest of my life..yay for the little miracle pill!

kbunsey

Postby kbunsey » Wed Feb 17, 2010 08:42 pm

I LOVE what Caryn said!!! I started taking the LDA while TTC. My doctors "think" the LDA helps w/ placental blood flow. I took it in the evening. I had a beautiful 2nd pregnancy. Wishing you all the best!

l412angel

Postby l412angel » Wed Feb 17, 2010 06:19 pm

I have heard that calcium can lower BPs as well. My MFM put me on Calcium magnesium :)

leeann34

Postby leeann34 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 06:08 pm

It's interesting to read other comments that have been made about aspirin. My MFM told me to take it after I got pregnant. I didn't think to ask him at the time why. Now, I could think of a millon questions I would like to ask him. He also wants me to take a calcium supplement (tums) once a day as well. Although, recent studies have shown calcium not to be of any real benefit. The exception is those women who are already low in calcium. Calcium can help to maintain a woman's blood pressure while pregnant and that's why alot of MFMs will order it. I even have history of kidney stones and my MFM still recommended it. He must think the benefits would outweight the risks of getting another kidney stone. Although, he did say it was a concern to him.

Return to “Trying Again after Preeclampsia”