Chronic hypertension/delivered 2nd baby?

Are you considering having another child after preeclampsia? Trying again after preeclampsia can be an emotional challenge. You can find support with others who share your concerns here.
frasiah
Forum Moderator

Re : Chronic hypertension/delivered 2nd baby?

Postby frasiah » Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:03 am

Leeann,
This might not be exactly what you are looking for but does indicate success on a subsequent pg with CHTN. While I was not hypertensive prior to my first pregnancy, BP started rising in the second trimester. MY DD was born at 29 wks due to severe PE and after hospital bedrest. However BP persisted post partum and I ended up with CHTN. My BPs were well controlled on medication when I got pregnant the following year but that pregnancy ended in a miscarriage. On our third pregancy, we were adviced to anticipate delivery at 24 wks when my BPs became unresponsive to the current medications. I went on bedrest at 24 weeks and when home bedrest did not work, went into the hospital. Extended hospital monitoring (with associated 24 hr urine tests, frequent blood work, BPP, etc,) and blood pressure medication surprisingly got us to 33 weeks. DS was born at 33 weeks due to severe PE superimposed on CHTN. The children are doing well now but I still have CHTN.
Please do not give up... while occurence and severity of disease cannot be predicted on an individual basis, very careful management of your pregnancy can get you much further along.
There are some posts/links on statistics that pertain to CHTN and one is posted below.
In the meantime, a consult with an MFM is the very best place to start.

leeann34

Postby leeann34 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 09:37 am

That gives me some hope. I have had testing done while I was hopitalized. They found no underlying disorders except that I just had preeclampsia superimposed by hypertension. I don't want to TTC until the summer. I do feel like I should give myself time to grieve for Olivia, but at the same time probably should find out what I can be doing now so that I hopefully won't get preeclampsia again. I would love to know of a good MFM Dr. in our area. I didn't have a high risk OGYN either the first time. Do you know a good high risk OBGYN in our area as well? I would appreciate the information.

kara
Forum Moderator

Postby kara » Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:43 pm

I just thought of another one. Staceynw had a 27 or 28 weeker her first pregnancy and had a 37 or 28 weeker the second time. The second time she was on a combination of meds, and had lots of monitoring. She also had GD the second pregnancy. She's from our area LeeAnn, so I could connect the two of you if you like.

heather j
Forum Moderator

Postby heather j » Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:33 pm

I don't have the personal experience you're looking for, but my cousin (who is a good friend, also) has been on medication to manage hypertension since we were sixteen (30 now). She delivered her first baby almost a year after I had my first. She had PE with him (I think things got hazy around 35 weeks or so), but didn't deliver until 38 weeks. She had a baby girl a year later who she delivered at 37 weeks on the nose after several weeks on hospital bedrest.

I'm with Kara that there are others who have pre-existing hypertension; they've probably just not caught the thread yet.

kara
Forum Moderator

Postby kara » Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:09 pm

Leeann,

There are actually several, several women who've had preexisting chronic hypertension, and who've delivered second, third, and fourth babies. Some preemies, some healthy full-termers. I'm not sure how your post got overlooked, but I assure you there will be others around.

Have you had underlying disorder testing done yet? That may answer some more questions. A consult with an MFM will help take out some of the unknown, and give you a better sense of what is possible for your situation. We know some ladies in MKE if you need a referral in your area.

There is hope...so please don't give up on yourself yet.

leeann34

Postby leeann34 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:36 pm

That's what I was afraid of... Not many out there with a history of HTN before their first pregnancy. I just don't know if there's much hope of having another baby without getting preeclampsia severely again. I am very sad.

leeann34

Chronic hypertension/delivered 2nd baby?

Postby leeann34 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:21 pm

I was wondering if any one had a history of chronic hypertension and developed preeclampsia with their first pregnancy? Is so how far along were you? My next question is how many of you went on to try and conceive for a second child and did you develope PE? How far were you able to carry the second pregnancy?

These are important questions to me. I have a history of HTN but it was controlled. I developed preeclampsia with my first pregnancy and lost my daughter because of it. So, I would love to hear of any success stories or maybe not so successful with a second pregnancy.

Return to “Trying Again after Preeclampsia”