Severity of second PE

Are you considering having another child after preeclampsia? Trying again after preeclampsia can be an emotional challenge. You can find support with others who share your concerns here.
fran

Re : Severity of second PE

Postby fran » Wed Oct 07, 2009 06:52 am

Hi,
sorry this reply is so late.
I have had severe early onset pe twice now. The first time I have an em cs at 26+5 - my little boy survived and is now 4 years old. I got pe again in my 2nd pregnancy just before 20 weeks. I managed to hold on until 23+6 when a scan revealved my baby boy had died (clot in the placenta due to pe). So I got it a lot earlier the 2nd time, but this is quite unusual and certainly not common to get it before 20 weeks.
Fran

kbunsey

Postby kbunsey » Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:11 am

I'll also tell you something the doctors - several doctors told me early on - "The odds are in your favor" - this doesn't mean we're cavalier and act as if, "It will be fine. Won't happen again. Don't need special care. Etc, etc." B.c like gilld above shared, it can happen again, happen early and it can even be worse, however...

Statistically and significantly statistically if you're into #s: The odds are in your favor.

That's why a superior medical team, lead by an outstanding MFM or Peri is really important!

gilld

Postby gilld » Sun Sep 27, 2009 05:53 am

Sorry to reply so late. I seem to have a different experience to most people. I had PE fairly mildly in my first pregnancy at 36 weeks and then much more severely (with HELLP) in my second pregnancy at 24 weeks. Seems like there is no rhyme or reason to when this horrible condition strikes, just whenever the placenta decides it is going to give up.

Best wishes.

kdreher

Postby kdreher » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:36 am

My PE experience the 2nd time was very different.

My first pregnancy: 25 yrs old, healthy, easy pregnancy...crashed at 26 wks with eclampsia, HELLP Syndrome, had emergency c/s, son was born weighing 15 ounces...I was really bad.

My second pregnancy, 38/39 yrs old, new marriage, healthy, put on bedrest at 26 wks, monitored very closely, bp not bad for a while, son suffering from IUGR, put in hosptial at week 32 for steroids and put on mag..lasted one day. Had mild seizure, no HELLP, c/s, son weighed 2lbs 10 oz...but he survived after 6 wks in NICU. I honestly had bp issues but was not nearly as sick as the first time.

joker

Postby joker » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:58 pm

I had PE at 18 weeks in my first pg, so very early. The second time around I made it to 34 weeks, but wasn't officially diagnosed with PE yet. I had high bp, but no protein. I was ultimately delivered because my platelets were dropping and they didn't want to take any chances.

kbunsey

Postby kbunsey » Mon Sep 21, 2009 09:55 am

Nope. No PE yet and I'm several weeks past when I got it in my first pregnancy. Wishing you well!

blznbec

Postby blznbec » Fri Sep 18, 2009 01:44 pm

I had PE at 21 weeks with my 1st, but was never officially diagnosed and ended up in code blue eclamptic seizures at 31 wks 6 days. My second pregnancy was uneventful until 36 wks when I developed full blown pre-e and I ended up delivering at 36 wks 2 days.

jamilyn

Postby jamilyn » Thu Sep 17, 2009 01:39 pm

My 1st pregnancy was very severe and came on very quickly within 4 days of being put in the hospital at 26 1/2 weeks i had a seizure and had a c-section right away. with my 2nd one i was monitored very very close and i knew the symptoms and what exactly to look for. i was put on bedrest at 30 weeks with no meds and delivered at 35 weeks so not as bad as the 1st time. im 17 weeks pregnant now so we will see how the 3rd one goes!
but again with your 2nd pregnancy you know what to look for and you are monitored more close with more NST's, ultrasounds and being seen more often, so if something does change usually its caught quick enough to act on it better.
If you are wanting to try again you may want to go in for a pre-consult with your OB or your peri if you have not been able to yet.
Best of Luck!!!

trish
Forum Moderator

Postby trish » Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:16 am

Sorry to just now be replying. I had PE pretty late with my first - right at term at 37 weeks. My BP had been rising but no meds needed. With my 2nd I just had BP issues but bedrest helped & I needed no BP meds. But then with my 3rd I had additional risk factors of being older (I turned 38 the month after I found out I was pregnant - which was not planned!!) and I had CHT this time & was on BP meds prior to becoming pregnant.

But we did make it to 36 weeks with several BP med increases, lots of additional monitoring & testing plus a couple of L&D visits & total bedrest starting at 34 weeks. :) But like adgirl said, *lots* more anxiety in the 3rd pregnancy - and since then - but very grateful for my 3rd girl.

So in my case my 3rd PE experience was worse but because of my additional risk factors. Generally PE is considered a disease of 1st pregnancies only.

adgirl

Postby adgirl » Wed Sep 09, 2009 04:30 pm

My experience was very similar as far as time of onset, but I had much less swelling and no protein the second time. I "just" had high BP with the 2nd, and it was much better controlled b/c we knew going into it what might happen.

Just my experience. Obviously, no one knows what will happen for each individual.

FWIW, my anxiety level was MUCH higher the second time - so that was a lot to deal with too.

Very glad I did it though :)

Return to “Trying Again after Preeclampsia”