TTC w/out underlying cond. -success stories please

Are you considering having another child after preeclampsia? Trying again after preeclampsia can be an emotional challenge. You can find support with others who share your concerns here.
fcwnej

Re : TTC w/out underlying cond. -success stories please

Postby fcwnej » Tue Aug 04, 2009 04:56 pm

Thanks for all the wonderful stories. My husband and I are pretty sure we are going to TTC this month! I'm trying to put all the scary negative PE thoughts behind me and try to have fun. I'm trying to think of positive things like "will it be a boy or girl?" "will he/she look like me or my husband?" I know the scary thoughts will still be there but I hope with close monitoring and the knowledge I gained from having PE before that I can be a success story too!

swagner23

Postby swagner23 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 05:08 pm

Hi there,
I had a little girl at 24 weeks due to HELLP. The doctors didn't find any underlying conditions. I'm pregnant again, 30 wks 5 days, with no signs of pre-e. Blood pressures have been stable and I'm doing fine. I am very heavily monitored though. I see my peri every week, and I have a biophysical and NST done every week to make sure my son is doing ok as well. I'm happy to have the attention; it makes me feel so much more confident!

Best of luck to you!

rsgeller

Postby rsgeller » Fri Jul 31, 2009 04:30 pm

I just wanted to wish you the best of luck with your next pregnancy. It sounds like you have decided to ttc and that is one of the tough decisions. I lost my little boy at 22 1/2 weeks. We decided to try again and were blessed with a perfect 6lb 2oz boy! Like you, I have no underlying disorders. However, I did change my meds. Besides my prenatals that I took during both pregnancies, I took lda, heparin, Omega 3 and Caltrate during my subsequent pregnancy. I don't know what, if anything, helped but I like to think some of it helped so that I could possibly, g-d willing, have another healthy baby. Good luck!

kara
Forum Moderator

Postby kara » Thu Jul 30, 2009 04:23 pm

If anyone is interested in helping find a cure, the Preeclampsia Foundation has a GREAT NEED for volunteer help. We need to raise awareness of the disease and it's signs and symptoms, and raise funds for research. And we need everyone on these boards to help. If anyone is interested in hosting a small fundraiser (think bake sale at church, garage sale, scrap booking event, etc, please contact Dawn at [email protected] . She also consults on larger events.

Or if you'd like to be included on discussion of hosting an Awareness walk next year (small or large), please email me at: [email protected] to be included on the preliminary distribution list and conference calls in October 09. :-)

Or if your budget allows, consider making a contribution here: http://www.preeclampsia.org/donate.asp small or large, all donations are appreciated - and Tax deductible!

fcwnej

Postby fcwnej » Thu Jul 30, 2009 02:13 pm

Thank you blznec and mom29 for sharing your stories. I was curious blznec - what is a Saving Grace story? I'm so happy that both of you ladies had a good outcome. It's stories like yours that makes me think I can do it again. And I'm hoping that if I do get PE again that it will be later in pregnancy. And this time they'll monitor me more closely and I'll also know the warning signs. It seems like this disease affects so many people. I never heard of it much until I got it and now I know of several other people at work who have had relatives or friends who have had it. I just pray that someone finds a cure.

Thanks again!

mom29

Postby mom29 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 04:45 pm

I had severe pre-e with my first child and delivered at 34 weeks. I did not have any problems with the next several pregnancies.

blznbec

Postby blznbec » Mon Jul 27, 2009 07:02 pm

I too had my son at 32 weeks and had zero underlying issues. He was only two ounces bigger than your daughter and stayed in the NICU for 30 days. I went into code blue eclamptic seizures with my son and we almost both died. I was very scared about getting pregnant a second time, but had the 'comfort' of knowing my previous OB was an idiot and was on the verge of providing neglected care, which I was confident wouldn't be happening the second time around because I wouldn't be seeing the 'idiot' that almost let me die.

Our OB the second time around was the doctor who saved our lives and I knew she wouldn't let what happened the first time, happen this time (I had high blood pressure, protein in my urine and swelled like a whale, but never once did my OB even suggest I had pre-e and I didn't know what it was, so I didn't have a clue). So we decided to get pregnant a second time, because I knew I would be ok...which is ultimately the reason we decided to try again. We didn't know if we would get a baby out it, but I was comfortable at least trying to get a healthy, full-term baby. This time the only thing against me, besides having eclampsia the first pregnancy, was that I was 38. It took us 18 months to get pregnant once we decided we were ready...another long journey!

Our OB watched me very closely; many tests, lots of blood draws, 24 hour urine tests, bi-weekly check ups at 21 weeks, weekly check ups at 28 weeks, perinatology check-ups monthly, many ultrasounds, etc. etc. But I felt safe and well-taken care of...which is very important!

I was very optimistic that I would go full-term because I was feeling so great (and like a normal pregnant woman), but at 36 weeks I began swelling, didn't feel well and my tests were not good. After 5 hours in the hospital and many tests to confirm my pre-e, my daughter was delivered that same day at 36 weeks one day, weighing 6lbs. 5ozs., and in perfect health. We were 'threatened' with having to leave her overnight because of jaundice issues, but ended up walking out of the hospital with our baby.

I have escaped pre-e two times and feel so blessed to have positive outcomes. It is possible. I can tell you that once I passed my son's delivery week at 32 weeks, I felt victorious. Anything past that date was a bonus. Of course the 224 days to get there was a bit nerve wracking, but I don't think you will feel completely at ease until your baby arrives.

Good luck.

fcwnej

Postby fcwnej » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:20 am

mlcoltrain - I'm worried about how my body will react to being off BC and if I'll get a cycle. We are going to wait a couple more weeks to see if I do then we'll TTC I think. I'm still nervous about it (probably always will be) but I had a good gut feeling that things will be ok. I'm glad things are going well for you. And thanks for sharing more of your story and what you did different and what the doctors are doing.

Stacey - You hit how I am feeling right on the dot! I keep wondering what it would be like to get big and full term. I want to take my baby home after 1 day in the hosptial not 38! Thinking of things like that get me excited to try again. I know there will always be fears but I hope I can get over them enough to enjoy pregnancy (if it happens for us). I am so happy that you had a great pregnancy the second time! Thanks for sharing your story!

stacey0411

Postby stacey0411 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 04:59 pm

Hi Jennifer. It's such a hard decision, one that people make everyday without the heartache of "what if preeclampsia hits again, and what if it's worse?" Before I had our second I was desperate for success stories so I will share mine with you :)
Like you, with my first I was the picture of health, worked out, ate great, no smoking/drinking, young. When we decided to take the leap of faith with baby #2 I was no longer working (my very stressful job) and I took a low dose Aspirin. Those were the only changes. Of course, one never knows why pre-e hits and doesn't hit. I kept a very positive outlook...I always imagined giving birth to a full-term, fat, pink, baby and getting to hold her right after she was born (not rushed to the NICU) and boy did I get that! You can read my sig for the specifics on the differences between my girls. Good-luck!!

mlcoltrain

Postby mlcoltrain » Fri Jul 24, 2009 04:56 pm

For this pregnancy I have a different doctor, we moved and to be honest I don't think my old OB was very good, she wrote off everything as common pregnancy symptoms just b/c there was no history of problems in my family. With my new doc, I had talked to my doc about taking baby asprin, but she wanted to wait until we got the BFP. To her the asprin was only really helpful in the beginning but by the time I found out I was pregnant she believes I was to far along. With my first one I went off BC and we TTC right away, I had 2 cycles and then got pregnant. With this one I went off BC in Sept. and we started TTC right away again. However, I never had another cycle. I took toons of pregnancy tests that all came back negative, just after Thanksgiving I went to the doc they took blood and still negative. We decided to give it one more month before we started getting serious with the doc about the fact that I hadn't had a cycle in 3 months. Then just after new years I took another at home test only to get a BFP. By the time I was able to see the doc for the first time they did an internal ultrasound to see how pregnant I was, turns out I was like 13wks pregnant! I conceived in the beginning of Dec. just days after they did bloodwork. I had labwork and 24urine in the beginning to get a baseline. But other then that, nothing else really different. I've been monitoring my BP at home, doc does more bloodwork and I see the doctor more often but that is about it. I know they signs and symptoms this time around so I am more vigilant and I call the doc whenever I think it's necessary, don't care if they think I'm being overreactive or what not.

Return to “Trying Again after Preeclampsia”