Girls, put your swimsuits on

Are you considering having another child after preeclampsia? Trying again after preeclampsia can be an emotional challenge. You can find support with others who share your concerns here.
fiona
Forum Moderator

Re : Girls, put your swimsuits on

Postby fiona » Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:46 pm

Thanks for that, Caryn.

I think it's always worth remembering that although pe has been around as long as pregnancy itself, no one has yet to pin it down definitively. That means there are hundreds of theories and practices that have been tried out on pregnant women with pe over the ages - and hardly any of them have turned out to actually help.

The latest studies have pulled apart the idea of vitamin supplementation; not that long ago the cutting edge treatment was blood-letting and colonic irrigation.

As we always say, we are not doctors. But we are on the sharp end of the very latest research and part of our mission is to arm our members with the best information available at the time. To be informed is to have a modicum of control over a disease that pulls the rug out from under us first chance it gets.

The results of the recent vitamin trials have left us all eating our 'it can't hurt, and it might help' words. Unfortunately, chances are there's yet more to be disproved just around the corner.

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:17 pm

The problem here is mostly that most of the doctors aren't up on the most current studies either. No one here would recommend that you actively go against the recommendations of your doctor; we just want you to know that you may wish to address these issues with your peri and find out what your peri's argument is for recommending these supplements.

I am not a doctor -- I do not have PhD behind my name -- but in your shoes I would ask the doctor about the following study:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/quer ... med_docsum

The odds ratio for developing hypertensive disorders in pregnancy for women consuming liquid cod-liver oil was 4.7 (95% CI 1.8-12.6, P= 0.002), after adjusting for confounding factors.

That means fish oil made it *more* likely that you'd develop PE -- almost 5 times more likely -- at least, in this study. (It was published this June in the British Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology -- and is recent enough that your peri may not be familiar with it.)

When I was pregnant with my son, I experimented with myself on the recommendation of my care provider, with a high-protein diet and supplementary vitamins C and E, on the basis of a couple of small studies and a plausible-sounding argument. And my blood pressure got high, early, and the newer larger studies say that's *exactly* what can be expected from a high-protein diet and extra C and E.

I would never have done it had the newer thinking about this been at the forefront of my caregiver's mind -- and that thinking is that an awful lot of stuff that we think of as innocuous can actually hurt PE patients.

It is just possible that your peri doesn't know about this new, larger study.

Even if we think something can't be dangerous, it can. Our intuitions can lead us astray, partly because this disease has turned out to be one of the sneakiest things out there, and it's thrown curve ball after curve ball at researchers.

misskris8696

Postby misskris8696 » Mon Sep 25, 2006 09:50 pm

While I agree that vitamins b,e, and a are bad in excess doses, as the article alluded to. Calcium and fish oil were not included in that study. For someone like me, who has seen a doctor who has recommended these, I think I'm pretty safe in following my perinatologist's recommendations. I'm also believed to have kidney stones not because of excess calcium in my system but because I lack the other substance that the calcium binds to in the body. Calcium supplementation was actually recommended by my urologist and my peri. I would never recommend that anyone try anything without the advisement of their physician. I was simply responding the questions "Did the doctor you spoke to recommend anything else?" I'm willing to give anything a try whether it is swimming or fish oil. If my doctor makes his recommendations, I will follow his direction if it means that this time I have done something to improve my chances of bringing a healthy baby home.
~Kristen

timelessbeauty

Postby timelessbeauty » Mon Sep 25, 2006 05:52 pm

Kristen,

We used to say among ourselves that it couldn't hurt to take vitamins but we have since learned to rephrase our thinking. This new study was released to introduce that what we used to think "what could it hurt" now may indeed have an adverse affect, in terms of Vit C and E. http://www.medpagetoday.com/OBGYN/Pregnancy/tb/2957

I am lactose intolerant and will admit I didn't have the best diet for calcium before pregnancy as I tried to supplement with cheese and yogurt and limited use of calcium fortified orange juice as I didn't prefer the taste. My pregnancies post-loss have been successful but I cannot accurately attribute the effect to my intake of vitamins.

It's not necessarily that some supplements may not work but it's finding out through recent studies that they may in fact BE hurting rather than helping or innocuous as previously thought. With time comes wisdom and 20/20 hindsight as is said. I would ask any pregnant woman to do their own research on any suggestions and be proactive about their obstetrical care before jumping in to take anything that is not proven to help, at the very least, understand the side effects should their be any.

misskris8696

Postby misskris8696 » Mon Sep 25, 2006 04:28 pm

He did mention a couple of other things. He said fishoil 4g daily until 2 or 3 weeks before delivery, 30 minutes daily of real rest (lay down on left side not sitting at my desk paying bills and whatnot), calcium supplements, and baby asa starting now preconception. The docs here are really into the supplements even though studies are showing they may not work. They've said that we all have diets that are lacking so what would it hurt.

missgamecock

Postby missgamecock » Mon Sep 25, 2006 03:25 pm

Ok, I didn't share that I had to half sit up and roll over the side of the tub to get out. Or worse had to call dh to help me get out. At that time he didn't dare laugh as he was worried about my bp. But hey whatever works, works!

timelessbeauty

Postby timelessbeauty » Mon Sep 25, 2006 01:37 pm

I admit something funny, we had a waterbed when I was pregnant 12 yrs ago with my oldest daughter. I got to be so big that I sank to the bottom and awoke every morning with a red mark on my rear from lying on the heater all night long. LOL .. But what was worse, much like the comment of not being able to get out of the tub after a nice bath, I had to ask my husband to "slap a wave" in the bed to help propel me out on the other side, otherwise I felt much like a Beached Shamu!

mdwannabe

Postby mdwannabe » Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:32 am

Sounds like there is something to it then! I wish I had a nice deep bathtub; I can't get in our tub while preggo, b/c I can't get back out, lol! We do have a pool though, so hopefully the weather will permit me to use it when I need to.

darcynulph

Postby darcynulph » Sun Sep 24, 2006 11:47 pm

My ob recommended swimming everyday for that exact reason with my last pregnancy. When I had PE with my daughter I had hydrotherapy everyday while in the hospital until I delivered.

timelessbeauty

Postby timelessbeauty » Sun Sep 24, 2006 11:33 pm

Not to mention the affects of weightlessness but also I find that I breathe deeper and harder while swimming which would create more oxygen for the fetus as a result and exercise is always great for pregnant moms, especially low impact at that. It's an interesting suggestion from the doctor you spoke with.

Return to “Trying Again after Preeclampsia”