anti-depressants during pregnancy

Are you considering having another child after preeclampsia? Trying again after preeclampsia can be an emotional challenge. You can find support with others who share your concerns here.
chrismere

Re : anti-depressants during pregnancy

Postby chrismere » Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:07 pm

Thank you all so much for your help and support. When I went off my meds in preparation to ttc, I felt I would be able to handle it but a couple of months later, I'm back to square one.
I am going to call my obgyn and peri tomorrow to see what they recommend since this wasn't going to be an issue when I first met with them in April and never even brought it up- big shot me thought it would be no problem[:)]
So I will let you know what happens - thanks again!
Christine

jen44

Postby jen44 » Thu Aug 03, 2006 02:34 pm

Hi Christine,
Welcome to our little family of PE/PIH survivors, it is a place of incredible strength and support. And as sufferer of panic disorder, I find a lot of peace here when I begin to get anxious about jumping in to the fears and worries of another pregnancy. There are so many success stories here, you can't help but be lifted up by the courage you find in these women, women who have not only been through the disease but some have also lost their precious babies and have found the courage themselves to try again, now that is amazing. And even more, the women here understand what you are feeling like no one else in your personal world of family and friends. Pregnancy itself is supposed to be a joyous time of excitement and looking forward, but when we have gone through what we have - the innocence is lost and we can't face another pregnancy that way ever again because we have to be vigilent and on guard and prepared for what may lay ahead for our health and the health of our babies. So on top of all that, add anxiety and panic attacks and you've got a real mess, and I know because I have faced it. I started antidepressants four months after my son was born, I couldn't get past the shame of needing them sooner so unfortunately it took me that long to get help. I was on them for a year and then weaned off so I could TTC again. I relapsed a few months later with the stress of TTC, now what was I to do? It was a tough time, but I saw many doctors and learned as much as I could about the meds and their affects on fetuses. And the risks vs benefits of it all options. In my case, I need to stay on the meds for now - at least until I conceive and then probably until 20 weeks and then see how I'm handling it all. My doctors think I should stay on them throughout but I am open to re-evaluating the situation each step along the way. If I need to stay on them, I am confident with everything I have learned that my baby will be OK.
Here's a thread on this subject that is really great, it's a lot of women going through the same thing - deciding what to do while TTC -- http://www.ovusoft.com/forum/tm.asp?m=6 ... =1&tmode=2
Good luck in your journey,

mommy2wil

Postby mommy2wil » Thu Aug 03, 2006 02:12 pm

Hi Christine!

I took an antidepressant throughout my pregnancy from beginning to end and it seems to have had zero effect on my son. My doctor said it was okay to take what I was on: 100mg of Zoloft. I noticed within the last year that the bottle now carries a warning about taking it during your 3rd trimester, but if I am lucky enough to get pregnant again I'm pretty certain I will continue on the Zoloft throughout the entire pregnancy again. My opinion is that if I don't take it I'm opening the baby up to just a different set of risks by becoming stressed (possibly affecting my BP) and being depressed (affecting my eating habits and exercise, etc).

Go with your gut and with information from a doctor you trust and you'll be okay! Good luck to you! -Laura

chrismere

Postby chrismere » Thu Aug 03, 2006 02:03 pm

Thanks for your response Julie- I did copy the post to the "ask the experienced" and am hoping for some good news. I really want to have another but not if I have to do it in this state of mind:)

julie f

Postby julie f » Thu Aug 03, 2006 01:57 pm

Christine,

I'm sure you will soon hear from many women who have experience in this area. Preeclampsia is a such a devastating disease and often leaves us with lingering issues like anxiety, depression, etc. You will find that many women have gone on to have second, third, etc. pregnancies while on medication. In a perfect world, I know we'd all love to be med-free during pregnancy, but it's just not always the case. In my first pregnancy, I agonized over taking tylenol. In my second pregnancy I took whatever anyone would give and asked if they were sure it was enough...[;)]

To my knowledge, there are several anxiety meds that are safe during pregnancy. You may also want to post this in the "Ask the Experienced" Forum, you might find a few more responses there as well.

Best of luck and let us know what your doctor says,

chrismere

anti-depressants during pregnancy

Postby chrismere » Thu Aug 03, 2006 01:16 pm

I've been reading these boards for a while and really want to have another baby but can't seem to shake the anxiety/panic attacks. I had them before I had my first child and then again afterwards and have been on medication for them which made me feel finally normal. I've gone off them b/c we want to ttc but I have been miserable. Has anyone taken any anti-depressant during pregnancy? Know anyone who did? which ones? outcomes? I'm going to see my pschiatrist Sunday to talk with him about it but I dont' really want to take the risk and have something happen with the baby b/c of me. So maybe I was only meant to have one....
Thank you in advance for all your help.

Christine

Return to “Trying Again after Preeclampsia”