Wanting a third. 1st severe preeclampsia and 2nd almost PE

Are you considering having another child after preeclampsia? Trying again after preeclampsia can be an emotional challenge. You can find support with others who share your concerns here.
jenh

Re: Wanting a third. 1st severe preeclampsia and 2nd almost PE

Postby jenh » Mon Oct 30, 2017 01:56 pm

Unfortunately, there is very little you can do to prevent preeclampsia. It is not caused by food, so eating better, while a great idea for your overall health, will not prevent it. There are no herbs or detoxes proven to help. The only thing that is proven to lower your risk is low dose aspirin, and that only seems to work in 2-5% of cases. You should talk to your doctor about whether aspirin is appropriate for you. Research is still being done about when to start taking it and what dose is most effective. The recommendation is to start it no later than 12 weeks, although we are still researching to see if it is best to start before pregnancy, as soon as you get a positive test, or later in the first trimester.
Jen
Wife to Brett 6/30/02
Mom to Ethne Joy 10/12/03, 35 weeks, severe PE
Mom to Catie Grace 12/8/06, 37 weeks, mild PE
Mom to Riley Faith and Gavin Arthur 7/7/09, 36 weeks, PIH 22 weeks, PE 31 weeks, severe post partum PE
Mom to four angels Grace (12/15/05), Ian (7/28/08), Declan (5/23/15), and Lucy (11/24/15)

LauraA

Wanting a third. 1st severe preeclampsia and 2nd almost PE

Postby LauraA » Mon Oct 30, 2017 04:55 am

I am planning on my third and wanted advice in low dose aspirin. If I shall take prior to conception.

With the first I thought I was the healthiest pregnant lady could be. But at 37 weeks I had 125/90 and that send me to blood tests. I’m usually 110/60-90/50. No headache, no dizziness, no hyperreactivity, no sx. But liver enzymes were elevated, I had protein in my urine and creatinine was creeping up and platelets slightly lowering. One doctor called it HELP another said severe preeclampsia. So I was devastated at not having my natural birth and being induced that day. Most of all it was really scary to be diagnosed.

The second baby I was a little paranoid and around 32 weeks I got labs done in Mexico and found my liver enzymes tripled (again no symptoms and blood pressure perfect at 120/80) . I went to the doctor they kept me for 4 days and liver enzymes at 258 with no other signs and no protein they couldn’t deliver. At the first sign of some protein I was induced at 33 weeks. My birth was fine as I knew what to expect ( mag sulfate/ pitocin / blood draws every 6 hrs) but my heart was broken at seeing my little one in NICU for 4 weeks and the family separated due to my 3 yr old at home my newborn at NICU and me at hospital pumping.

After this I still want another baby. This is the last. I want to do the best to prepare in this pregnancy. I lost 20 lbs and promise to eat better as I don’t see what else to modify. It’s possible that it is autoimmune .
What else shall I do? I’ve heard of herbalists or detox. I truly want to improve my chances to not get PR

Return to “Trying Again after Preeclampsia”