SSRI Use and Risk of GH

The Preeclampsia Foundation does not necessarily endorse any research or news found in this forum, we just want to share what is out there. Please use your own discretion to evaluate any information you find here.
annegarrett

Re : SSRI Use and Risk of GH

Postby annegarrett » Sat May 17, 638600 3:33 pm

I do remember (anecdotal and old anecdotal information at that) my Peri telling my then (note "Ex") husband who was complaining that my 'anxiety was getting the best of me and could we deliver the baby NOW please'...that my elevated BP and high cardiac output were sending "fight or flight" messages to my brain. So the peri said the anxiety was the result of the disease, not the cause. I still am friends with the Peri, by the way...

alviarin
Forum Moderator

Postby alviarin » Sat May 17, 638600 3:15 am

quote:Originally posted by Blythe
So depression and PE are correlated. I'd take bets that it's not a cause-effect, depression=>PE relationship, though. So much else points to underlying dysregulation of our bodily systems, it makes sense to me that the brain is all tied up in that same system.

I'm betting right alongside you (that it isn't cause-effect). That there is probably one or more root causes.

To step on my thyroid soapbox for a minute, hypothyroidism can cause depression and is a risk factor for preeclampsia.

Since hypothyroidism is a potentially reversible cause of depression, it's recommended that women with postpartum depression should be screened for hypothyroidism and appropriately treated. http://www.guideline.gov/summary/summar ... ng=thyroid

IMHO any woman suffering from depression should have their thyroid checked. Ok, I'm stepping off my soapbox now...

ozierja

Postby ozierja » Sat Mar 08, 638600 8:18 pm

Might be a factor! I have (and had) been on SSRI's for years for acute depression. I was taken off after my first OB appt and resumed after breastfeeding...wow.

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Sat Mar 08, 638600 2:18 pm

Or maybe the underlying tendency towards depression causes the PE.

This stuff *is* complicated.

babyemsmom

Postby babyemsmom » Sat Mar 08, 638600 12:18 am

So is it the medicine that can cause PE or the depression/anxiety? I know I would have terrible anxiety if I have another baby. I was glad to see that taking Zoloft was an option during pregnancy...but that makes me nervous too if it's going to up my chances of PE again!

Why in the world does this disease have to be so complicated!!!

sonja
Forum Moderator

Postby sonja » Wed Feb 26, 638600 12:48 am

Dara - there has been lots of talk here about a link between anxiety and Pre-e - although I don't know of any actual studies, just personal experiences from people here. I will raise my hand as one of the people that have had issues with anxiety in the past - and to me it fits in with the whole "white coat hypertension" thing - I should be able to control my bps when anxious, but for whatever reason, I can't.

darateacher

Postby darateacher » Tue Feb 25, 638600 7:10 pm

I'm currently on a low dose of Zoloft for anxiety, and have been since first trimester. My bps have been controlled since 13 weeks with labetalol...well, as best they can be for now. Is anxiety correlated to PE like depression is? I don't have depression.

lisainnj

Postby lisainnj » Tue Feb 25, 638600 4:22 pm

I took Paxil during the first few weeks of my last healthy pregnancy, still recovering from a breakdown after two miscarriages, and then had to go back on at 5 months, after 9/11. No BP problems during that pg. But after that pregnancy, I developed hypertension, and it was definitely linked to the Paxil - it would be 30 pts higher while I was taking it. Sometimes I wonder if it reset something in me, permanently.

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Tue Feb 25, 638600 10:50 am

Speaking of cognitive side effects, I never had the headache, but I did have significant hallucinations for the last 24 hours or so of Oscar's pregnancy. My best guess is that my body was combating the placenta's demands with anticholinergics, i.e. hallucinogens, because the placenta sets up a cholinergic system to which blood preferentially flows when it implants, and one way to cut that off is with anticholinergics...

jamie w

Postby jamie w » Tue Feb 25, 638600 8:27 am

For your research:
1st pregnancy I was off of my SSRI for the first trimester (Lexapro) then back on for 2nd & 3rd. I developed PE late in the pregnancy.

2nd pregnancy I was on Effexor for the entire pregnancy and developed PE early at like 24 weeks.

I have had been treated for major depression since about 7th grade (whatever age that is).

I find this study VERY interesting and would love to know more!!!

Return to “Announcements and Preeclampsia in the News”