TIME SENSITIVE - SUPPORT INCREASED NIH FUNDING

The Preeclampsia Foundation does not necessarily endorse any research or news found in this forum, we just want to share what is out there. Please use your own discretion to evaluate any information you find here.
bicyclist

Re : TIME SENSITIVE - SUPPORT INCREASED NIH FUNDING

Postby bicyclist » Thu Mar 20, 2008 00:19 am

Done and forwarded to F & F. Added short version of our story.

laura

Postby laura » Tue Mar 18, 2008 03:24 pm

Good news: the senate has put in a 10% increase in funding (although my inner critic will point out that we'd need 11% to adjust for inflation)We'll have to keep on it to make sure it is maintained! I'll try to find out where the house is.

http://www.acscan.org/site/PageServer?p ... andingPage

If you're at all interested in doing more advocacy stuff like this, the ACS Cancer Action Network is top notch.

jenn
Forum Moderator

Postby jenn » Tue Mar 18, 2008 01:28 pm

Did and Done.

cindyh27

Postby cindyh27 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:03 am

Done :) Wish the moderators could copy this post this on all the boards... tomorrow is the last day.

ozierja

Postby ozierja » Mon Mar 17, 2008 04:57 pm

Done! Thanks so much!

rebeccac

Postby rebeccac » Mon Mar 17, 2008 04:53 pm

I sent this to my state rep. He is a Dr. himself so hopefully will get the drift!

kara
Forum Moderator

Postby kara » Mon Mar 17, 2008 04:52 pm

That took less than one minute! Thanks so much, Tom!

laura

Postby laura » Mon Mar 17, 2008 04:50 pm

I would strongly suggest that if you can, match the main points of the letter as much as you can while communicating your own words and stories.

In my own experience working in public health advocacy campaigns, we'd hear that offices tend to not count form letters as strongly and *love* to hear from constituents. I'll check to see who is working on funding subcommittees, and we can list which congress people and states to aim for specifically.

tom-pf-exd

TIME SENSITIVE - SUPPORT INCREASED NIH FUNDING

Postby tom-pf-exd » Mon Mar 17, 2008 04:33 pm

To All Members and Friends of the Preeclampsia Foundation:

As you know, the National Institutes of Health (NIH) is a major source of funding for medical research in this country. And, while funding for preeclampsia research within NIH needs to increase, IT WILL NEVER INCREASE IF THE OVERALL NIH BUDGET IS CUT.

Through an arrangement we have made with the Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology (FASEB is the nation's oldest collaborative association of biological societies), we are making this automated system for contacting your Congressional representative available to you.

THIS MESSAGE MUST BE SENT BY MARCH 19TH TO HAVE ANY IMPACT.

Please click on the following link or paste it into your browser:

http://capwiz.com/faseb/issues/alert/?a ... 21&type=CO

then type in your zip code and then cut and paste the following message (altered slightly from the one in the box in order to make it more relevant to preeclampsia):

Dear Representative:

As a constituent who is very concerned about the lack of funding for research into preeclampsia (a hypertensive disorder affecting 1 in 12 pregnancies and the leading known cause of premature birth in this country), I am writing to respectfully ask that you request a funding level of $31.1 billion for the National Institutes of Health (NIH) when making your programmatic request for FY2009 appropriations. The entire biomedical research community – scientists, patients, physicians, and industry groups – are united in this request, which aims to forestall NIH’s loss in purchasing power and provide new opportunities for groundbreaking medical progress.

As our nation’s premier sponsor of cutting-edge medical research, NIH has been involved in nearly every medical advancement of the last 50 years, leading to unprecedented improvements in the health and quality of life of all people. To those patients still suffering from untreatable conditions, NIH embodies the hope of therapies and cures yet to come. NIH-funded researchers are at work at universities and institutions in every state making the fundamental, innovative breakthroughs that will allow us to meet our most pressing health challenges, from Alzheimer’s disease to influenza to obesity.

For information on how to officially record your support for the life-saving medical research that offers hope to millions of Americans, please visit: http://opa.faseb.org/Process.htm While I understand you have additional priorities for our district, an appropriations request in one category does not come at the expense of a request in another (i.e. a programmatic request for NIH does not cancel out a project or a report language request). Please renew our commitment to medical research and fulfill the hope of the American people by making NIH a national priority.

Follow the rest of the instructions and your message will join thousands of others to drive home the vital point that we need more funding for NIH and more preeclampsia research within NIH.

Please don’t hesitate or procrastinate – we need to have our voices heard. The entire process will not take you more than 3 minutes.

Please pass this e-mail on to ANYONE you think will be supportive.

With all best wishes . . .

Tom

Return to “Announcements and Preeclampsia in the News”