adipokines, insulin resistance, abnormal placentas

The Preeclampsia Foundation does not necessarily endorse any research or news found in this forum, we just want to share what is out there. Please use your own discretion to evaluate any information you find here.
caryn
Forum Moderator

Re : adipokines, insulin resistance, abnormal placentas

Postby caryn » Wed Feb 21, 2007 01:03 pm

I believe for women, it's .7, and for men, it's .9.

And I just don't put weight on my hips. Even when I was 5'9" and 128 pounds, at a BMI of 18.9, I had a WHR of .82, with a waist of 28" and hips at 34"... [:(] Maybe I'm meant to run a little below the BMI calculator's "normal weight" standards; I'm very fine-boned. Or maybe I need to do more heavy squats and build some more glute muscle!

laura

Postby laura » Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:26 am

Well, as Caryn mentioned- some folks (LIKE ME) are apple-shaped- we carry our weight in our midsection rather than bottom, boobs, and thighs. Women who have Polycystic Ovaries (PCOS) also often are insulin resistance.

There is a test for insulin resistance-- now even though I'm an 'apple' and have PCOS I tested negative for insulin resistance. (go figure!)

smitty1212

Postby smitty1212 » Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:11 am

Thanks Caryn - another question - how does one know if they are insulin resistant? Is it something you test for, or are there symptoms?

blythe

Postby blythe » Wed Feb 21, 2007 09:43 am

What's a "healthy" vs. "risk factor" WHR? I'm lazy today [:D].

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Wed Feb 21, 2007 00:28 am

Linda,

Basically, in normal pregnancies the mothers get somewhat insulin-resistant, and in preeclamptic pregnancies they get moreso. The jury is still out here, but from what I can tell the research is suggesting that the placenta *causes* insulin resistance, to some extent, in normal pregnancies, and if you're already insulin-resistant, that might mean that pregnancy tips you over the edge that your body can tolerate, and sets you up for complications like PE.

WHR is just an abbreviation for waist-hip ratio, which often gets used as a proxy for a tendency to insulin resistance.

emily kates mom

Postby emily kates mom » Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:32 pm

I have insulin resistance, and I had PE. This is interesting!

smitty1212

Postby smitty1212 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 03:09 pm

OK - this sounds like something I should be interested in, but I don't understand much of what the abstract said or what you guys ar talking about! Forgive me, but can someone simplify it for me please?

blythe

Postby blythe » Mon Feb 19, 2007 06:53 pm

Oh, and I'm a pear girl, too!

blythe

Postby blythe » Mon Feb 19, 2007 06:52 pm

With Storm, my 1-hour glucose screen was 82, so I don't think there was any way I was insulin resistant - and he's the baby that was SGA! (If I understand right he doesn't quite qualify for IUGR...) I failed my glucose screen with Chance at 158, but the 3-hour showed me severely hypoglycemic (47). He was the "big" baby. I wonder what they'd make of me [:)].

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Mon Feb 19, 2007 06:22 pm

My OB was convinced that I would turn out to be gestational diabetic, and then a little annoyed when bloodwork showed I wasn't. But I'm sure my case was just a genetic overactive immune system... with a strong family history of chronic htn and a nice case of scalp psoriasis.

However, my WHR is higher than I'd like, and I take off weight from the hips and thighs first, and the breasts and belly last. Not the gynoid fat distribution, for sure.

Return to “Announcements and Preeclampsia in the News”