adipokines, insulin resistance, abnormal placentas

The Preeclampsia Foundation does not necessarily endorse any research or news found in this forum, we just want to share what is out there. Please use your own discretion to evaluate any information you find here.
catherine
Forum Moderator

Re : adipokines, insulin resistance, abnormal placentas

Postby catherine » Fri Feb 23, 2007 00:20 am

Just to confound things, my sweetest friend has PCOS and is insulin resistant..... and looks like a swedish runway model. Infertility issues are what drove her to an RE and nobody was more surprised than the RE to see her circulating insulin levels. I think (and I'm poking in a very dark and dusty corner of my brain so check with Caryn) that there's some suggestion that the insulin receptors in musculo-skeletal tissues in some folk can be mutated and fail to bind the hormone causing it to circulate at too high a rate. Am I tripping?

laura

Postby laura » Fri Feb 23, 2007 00:14 am

Lisa- I'm the same way, very sensitive to sugar levels. We've almost completely switched to whole grains, brown rice, brown flour, splenda for sugar, etc. and it has helped immensely and fixes the whole blood sugar roller coaster ride...

White rice is worse for me than candy!

lisainnj

Postby lisainnj » Fri Feb 23, 2007 00:08 am

Linda, I think it has a lot to do with the genetic match-up between you and your baby. In my only PE pregnancy, I could not tolerate sugar - I did not eat it. I would tell my husband, this bread has got too much sugar - it would have 3 grams instead of 2 and it was disgusting. I wondered a lot if this factor or that had pushed me over the edge, but it probably didn't. Eating sugar probably didn't push you either.

Let us know how South Beach goes. My daughter is definitely apple, not like me, and I worry about her, poor kid, when she wants to have babies. I am trying to get her dr. to test her for insulin resitance before PCOS starts because I'm afraid she's headed that way.

laura

Postby laura » Wed Feb 21, 2007 03:25 pm

Blythe-- PCOS is a syndrome, they use the whole big picture of symptoms to make a diagnosis, and it isn't reliant on one test. They made the diagnosis when I was having problems conceiving before my second. I think the insulin resistance test was negative, but I wouldn't doubt that at some point in the future it will be positive, as I'm very like my mother and her sisters who all ultimately had problems with PCOS and eventually diabetes.

annegarrett

Postby annegarrett » Wed Feb 21, 2007 02:33 pm

I resist insulin as much as I can but it just calls my name...

smitty1212

Postby smitty1212 » Wed Feb 21, 2007 02:31 pm

So here's my thing - I have chronic high blood pressure. My first daughter was delivered problem free at 40 weeks. My second pregnancy was horrible. I had horrid headaches, and the only thing that made them better was caffiene, so I was bad and had like 2 Cokes a day. And I just felt so miserable that I "rewarded" myself with some sort of ice cream quite often. I did not look after my health very well. My Mom was very sick so I was under stress about that. I delivered my daughter at 35 weeks due to PE/HELLP.

My DH and I would like to maybe get pregnant again. I had the blood work done for underlying disorders and nothing was found. I've always been convinced that my bad diet and stress (coupled with HBP) may be what tipped me over the edge in that pregnancy.

So here's my question - for you medical minded people - I know you can't "diagnose" me or give me an absoute answer, but is it plausable that (according to this theory), if I'm insulin resistant, my high intake of sugar during that pregnacy could have caused some of the problems? My ratio is .9. I was on the border of having gestational diabetes but never crossed into the danger zone, so said my doctor. Right now I'm actually in the middle of Phase One of South Beach, which I think is going to help my health a great deal.

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Wed Feb 21, 2007 02:08 pm

If it's *above* .7, then you're at higher risk of heart problems and more likely to be insulin resistant.

Here's a link:

http://www.healthcalculators.org/calcul ... st_hip.asp

sckitzo

Postby sckitzo » Wed Feb 21, 2007 02:02 pm

so let me get this right if your hip to waiste ratio is below .7 then you are at greater risk for insulin resistance. which is bad right. It means that it could be part of the reason you might be getting PE ??????

blythe

Postby blythe » Wed Feb 21, 2007 01:53 pm

Laura - how can you be PCOS and NOT insulin resistant? I thought that was one of the hallmarks of the syndrome - one of the reasons metformin is supposed to work so well?

fiona
Forum Moderator

Postby fiona » Wed Feb 21, 2007 01:35 pm

quote:And I just don't put weight on my hips.

I've got plenty to spare, if you're asking. (I'm a PEAR, oh yeah!)

Return to “Announcements and Preeclampsia in the News”