O'Reilly claims that there is no death from preg.

The Preeclampsia Foundation does not necessarily endorse any research or news found in this forum, we just want to share what is out there. Please use your own discretion to evaluate any information you find here.
annegarrett

Re : O'Reilly claims that there is no death from preg.

Postby annegarrett » Mon Nov 27, 2006 05:55 pm

I am so sorry for your experience. I hadn't read about it as I was on hiatus. What a terrible tragedy and a perfect illustration of why I get so upset about the suggestion that women don't die in pregnancy. I was reading the posts on post-partum eclampsia and was SHOCKED at the number of women posting there. I continue to be amazed at how many women have near misses with this disease--and like the young woman you mention--who live but with what quality of life?! Thanks for all your thoughts.

Take care!

deerhart

Postby deerhart » Mon Nov 27, 2006 02:07 pm

Some do some don't.. there are several lawsuits against certain companies and their insurance companies regarding their classification of what is/isn't considered an elective abortion and the coverage an elective abortion versus an immediate previability delivery.

Its an enourmous difference to the person whom everything is happening to and I personally think its complete carelessness and ignorance to even try to lump them together.

blythe

Postby blythe » Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:59 am

Good to know the organizations, at least, recognize the difference. But my friend who delivered at 32 weeks this summer was told by a co-worker that doctors would never induce her so early because the baby could die - apparently under the impression that NICU babies are only from premature labor???

Your story continues to break my heart.

Congratulations on your third pregnancy - please let us know how the little tadpole is doing! [:D]

lalam17

Postby lalam17 » Mon Nov 27, 2006 00:08 am

It's more than wording, there is a significant difference between terminating by choice and immediate delivery regardless of gestational age due to a life-threatening pregnancy. However, from my knowledge most organizations, including ACOG (american college of obstetrics/gynecology) and some leaders in the Catholic church feel that immediate delivery is NOT a form of termination/Abortion. It is a horrible choice that must be made which gives both the baby and the mother the best chances of survival (the baby may very well die, but with delivery, he is given a small chance). What these organizations often fail to discuss is that sometimes, even immediate delivery is too dangerous to the mother, and if the baby is so immature that he will not survive out of the womb, then only the mother's health should be considered and a D&E (a form of abortion-Baby has no chance of survival)should be performed to save the women's life. These cases are extremely uncommon, so you rarely hear of them. I never thought about it, until it happened to me. Here's my story: http://www.preeclampsia.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19168

On another, more sad note: I saw a young girl develop eclampsia, causing a stroke, despite flawless medical care. Her baby is doing well, and She's alive, but will never see her baby as she is most certainly blind, will never hold her baby, as she is most certainly paralyzed. It is unknown what her cognitive function will be, or whether she will every breath on her own. Some things are worse than death.

On a happy note, just found out I'm pregnant again, hopefully 3rd times the charm!! Haven't told my husband yet, want to wait until I see a heartbeat, since I don't think he can handle another loss right now. I have a lot of guarded excitement, but a lot of fear as well.

Thanks for the emails on this topic, I've been so busy lately that I haven't been lighing up the forums much. Would have missed out on this topic otherwise.

annegarrett

Postby annegarrett » Sun Nov 26, 2006 00:53 am

Personally knowing women who have been forced to terminate a much wanted pregnancy to save their lives, has really educated me about the tough decisions some families and their doctors face. Thanks for your comments!

My family is from Iowa so gave Luther some serious thought! It's in one of the prettiest areas of Iowa--I sometimes drive that way (out of my way) when I drive down from Minneapolis to Iowa to see family (though now they are in Des Moines and so it really out of the way...)

Thanks! Feel free to write me at [email protected]!

blythe

Postby blythe » Sat Nov 25, 2006 05:47 pm

Just had to say hi to Anne off-topic: My husband and I both graduated from Luther College in Decorah, Iowa. I strongly considered St. Olaf instead and had friends who graduated from there! I don't miss the -40degree walks to class in the winter, but the people and the area are wonderful.

Also wanted to add my 2 cents on-topic: I've often thought that the reason PE doesn't get more attention is because of the fear of being attacked by abortion opponents who don't understand the difference between terminating by choice and "immediate delivery regardless of gestational age due to a life-threatning pregnancy" (love that wording, by the way, whoever I copied it from!!).

I grew up around people who said things like 'if my wife / if I were in danger because of the pregnancy I would never terminate the pregnancy", adding their own rationale. Being around intelligent, informed women, men, researchers, and health professionals now makes that statement incomprehensible to me. But I often forget that there are more people around (that think like those folks I grew up with) than I would like to admit. Bill O'Reilly is not alone in his opinion / ignorance. I hope the PE Foundation and all of us here can make a difference!

annegarrett

Postby annegarrett » Wed Oct 25, 2006 01:38 pm

That is my hope as well--that even if we don't get on this show with O'Reilly that eventually--they will do a show on the topic. Hang in there--raising awareness saves lives.

shellysmomdad

Postby shellysmomdad » Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:25 am

We made an effort last year to have Oprah do a show on pe. Maybe with all this added attention and publicity our chances will be better. If she does a show on pe because of the attention that O'Reilly has drawn by his comment, I still won't shake his hand.

John

rosemary
Forum Moderator

Postby rosemary » Wed Oct 25, 2006 00:45 am

I just sent my story. While Mr. O'Reilly's comments were rediculous and certainly don't help the ignorance factor that we are trying to change - my hope is that Mr. O'Reilly's view will change...and what would be even better...would be to see Oprah do a show on PE.

sandy

Postby sandy » Tue Oct 24, 2006 05:09 pm

I wrote Oprah. Included words of my own and a link to "my story".

Return to “Announcements and Preeclampsia in the News”