Nursing

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.
arj

Re : Nursing

Postby arj » Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:51 pm

Kudos to you for exclusively pumping for that long. I'm always amazed when I hear about women doing that because it is so challenging.

Since you're already taking Domperidone and Fenugreek, I don't know what else to suggest. Are you maxed out on the dosage for each? How often are you pumping? I also find that pumping 10 minutes/stop and massage, shake the breasts/ pump 10 more minutes can increase output, as well as using a hospital grade pump (Lactina or Symphony).

At a minimum, pump 8-12 times a day and at least once at night, if you're trying to build back up. I don't know if you are up for that, but since you want to simulate what the baby should be doing, then those are the magic numbers.

Good luck. You've done wonderfully for providing him BM for so long. It's so hard to keep your supply up (for most women) when baby won't nurse because they are simply the best pump.

dja

Postby dja » Sun Jan 22, 2006 09:01 pm

Can anyone help me? I have been pumping exclusively for about 5 months. Malcolm breastfed for about 4 1/2 months, but then refused the breat and I've had to pump since then. My supply has never been great - I was cruising at about 13 oz a day, but dropped to 10 oz a day when I dieted to lose some baby weight. My goal has always been to get to a year, or at least 11 months. Well, I've been sick for two days with a stomach flu. My milk supply feels like it's almost disappeared. I take domperidone and fenugreek, and I'm hoping these will keep the milk flowing. Any other suggestions? Malcolm is nearly 10 months - maybe I should just accept reality?

ekc

Postby ekc » Mon Jun 27, 2005 08:49 am

My son was born 7 weeks early so he wasn't even given breast milk for a week and then after that he was only given cc's at a time. Therefore I had a great opportunity to establish my milk supply (most woman wouldn't see it that way!!! :-) )
I pumped every 3 hours and I pumped everything out. I could get 4-6 oz. in each bottle every time I pumped. I established a huge freezer supply which was great. My son was ready to nurse around 3 weeks and he did fine. While he was in the NICU he was still supplemented with a bottle. When he came home at 4 weeks he was exlusively breast fed for around 1 1/2 months. I went back to work and he was given a bottle when I wasn't around. My milk supply started to drop around 5 months and my son weaned himself at 6 months. My plan was to nurse until he was one year but he is an independent little guy and didn't want me. He wanted to hold his OWN bottle. I think I will try the fenugreek next time. I hear so much about it. The way I increased my milk supply was to pump in between feedings. This worked great in his first couple mos. Around 5 or 6 mos. I was working and didn't have time to pump more than 2x per day. I suppose had I been at home I could have kept going longer.

Hope this helps!

Erinn (26) married to Seth (27) 7/27/02

Chase ~ 9/28/03, 33 wks., 3 lbs. 8 oz., severe pre-e

elevated lipoprotein A

houstygirl

Postby houstygirl » Thu Jun 09, 2005 04:12 am

I had a concoction called "tiger's milk". 500mls full milk, 1 egg, 1 banana, 2 tsp brewer's yeast and 2 Tablespoons of Milo or Complan. Mix it all in a blender and drink once a day. You'll soon find you have big juicy melons!!

Mum to Angel baby Jonathan Douglas
born still 3rd April 2004 31wks, weighing 880gms

paljane8

Postby paljane8 » Wed Dec 15, 2004 07:04 pm

Hey Donna, have you had her tested for oral low tone? Call the school district in your area and ask them who does early intervention in your area. When you talk to EI tell them you want Alli tested for oral low tone. If she has it there is a lot they can do even this early to help her (and you!). Hang in there, sweetie.

Nancy Eastwood

iansmom

Postby iansmom » Wed Dec 15, 2004 07:42 am

It sounds like you are making a fabulous effort! You are right to keep your stress level down and I hope things turn out well for you. Please keep us updated and have a wonderful holiday season.

Ian 12/26/01 - 26 weeks P/E & HELLP
Drew 6/22/04 - 36w 6d Chronic hypertension & IUGR

dmmetler

Postby dmmetler » Thu Dec 09, 2004 01:04 pm

We're using avent bottles and nipples, in the hopes that this will make the transition easier. I'm not sure that it will really help (I have trouble seeing the difference between the nipples on the avent bottles and cheaper ones), but it's what the LC recommended.

I'm still managing to pump several times overnight, since she wakes up every 3 hours or so regardless, and my breasts start to hurt at about the 4 hour point. I'm just not trying to set an alarm and get up every 2 hours for 24 hours a day. The LC said that was OK, if I was pumping 2 hours a day during the day, and that sleep was essential for milk supply as well. And I know that it has greatly reduced the tension on me to be able to let someone else feed her so I can get a longer sleep period, plus a few short naps here and there.

I'm not going to even try messing with nipple shields and similar things until she's back where she should be weight wise and closer to her due date. I think I can handle pumping that long, and I don't want to frustrate her with what she can't manage at this point. Right now she's eating well and gaining weight, and we've gone from over half of her intake being formula to only 2-3 oz a day, which I think is pretty good.

Mother to Angel Brian Anthony, 1/1/2002, 22 weeks, severe PE/HELLP and Allison Joy 11/25/04-35 weeks, PIH, Pre-term labor

iansmom

Postby iansmom » Wed Dec 08, 2004 09:18 am

Just a couple of ideas...
First, night time pumping are THE MOST important for supply - I know it's tough. Second, this may sound a little odd at first, but have you thought about switching bottle nipples to one she likes less &/or one that is more like the breast? (I don't know what you use, but Avent is really good - Playex has gotten a bad rap from most LC's & bfing moms) Also have you tried a breast shield while feeding her? I was very lucky that Ian switched from bottle to breast well, but I did pump every 2 hours for 14 weeks, so I know how you feel. Email me if you want.
J

Ian 12/26/01 - 26 weeks P/E & HELLP
Drew 6/22/04 - 36w 6d Chronic hypertension & IUGR

paljane8

Postby paljane8 » Wed Dec 08, 2004 06:21 am

I am all for bf'ing. But, if I had to do it over I would have formula fed Janie from the beginning. What you are describing is what I went through and I was never able to successfully bf. Hang in there--I am sorry for what you are going through!

Nancy Eastwood

dmmetler

Postby dmmetler » Tue Dec 07, 2004 04:52 pm

Allison is 12 days old now, and we've been pumping for a bit over a week. We started out just breast feeding, then using an SNS with formula, but she lost 18 oz in her first 5 days of life, so at that point we went to pumping, bottle feeding and supplementing with formula. She simply can't yet suck hard enough to get anything out before she gets frustrated, and once she gets frustrated, she won't even take a bottle. Even bottle feeding is hard for her, although she's getting better. My supply is slowly increasing, but sometimes it feels like I'm feeding her blood instead of milk, because nursing just drains me so much (and the fact that I'm still bleeding pretty heavily doesn't help-I was on phenobarbital for the last 13 weeks of my pregnancy, and it retards clotting function, so I still bleed and bruise really super easily). We've been able to get by with only using formula for overnight feedings (she's eating about every 3 hours around the clock. I'm pumping every 2 hours during the day, and when she eats at night. Although I'm not sure how helpful it is-last night I fell asleep at the pump at 4:00 am, and ended up with most of the milk on me instead of in the bottles, because I was leaning backwards. According to the NICU LC, it's really common for PE moms to have milk come in slowly as long as they're retaining fluid, and I'm still horribly bloated, although at least my pregnant shoes fit again.

The good news is that in the last week, she's gained 9 oz, so while she's nowhere near her birthweight, she's putting weight back on, although it did slow down a lot-first 3 days of pumping/bottlefeeding she put on 6 oz, but only 3 since then.

The bad news is that she is less and less willing to even try to nurse at all. Both the NICU LC and her pediatrician have stressed that it's important to keep trying to get her to take the breast, so she'll eventually be able to transition, but she's SO resistant to it, that I'm really wondering if she'll ever be willing to give up the bottle for the breast? I'm willing to keep pumping and hope for the "catching on about at her due date", but I don't think I can do this for months on end, particularly not since my mother will be leaving to head back to VA in early January, and it'll be just me and the baby during the day.

It's a real relief to see that so many people have had struggles with nursing, especially with "barely preemies". It's getting frustrating, because since Allison had a good birth weight at 35 weeks, and was healthy enough to go home with me, the assumption made even in the hospital was that she was functioning as a full-term baby, and she simply isn't. I'm just glad her pediatrician recognizes that a 6 lb 35 week preemie isn't the same as a 6 lb 40 weeker.

Mother to Angel Brian Anthony, 1/1/2002, 22 weeks, severe PE/HELLP and Allison Joy 11/25/04-35 weeks, PIH, Pre-term labor

Return to “After your baby is born .....”