Nursing

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.
ireneh

Re : Nursing

Postby ireneh » Mon Jul 26, 2004 01:35 pm

I am new to this web site. Here is my problem. My daughter Connie is 3 1/2 month old. I started working after she is 12 week old. I had been on Fenugreek for weeks. I am already taken at 4 piece per time 3 times a day, fenugreek bought from GNC. I have almost finished 2 bottle already. My daughter is still crying in front of the my breast. She still able to take 2 oz supplement whenever we offer to her. When I start working, I pumped about 4 oz to 4.5 oz from 3 pumping session during 8 hours. It is still same after 2 bottle of fenugreek gone.

Last week, I heard about reglan. I started to take both reglan and fenugreek. They don't seems work too.

During the earlier weeks, I have try after my daughter finished one side, when she is taking the second side, pump on the first side, it didn't seems increase any milk supply too.

When I had my first daughter, I was trying to exclusive breast feeding her. She seems OK with it even her weight percentage drop from 50% at the birth to 10% when she is half year old. But for this second daughter, she seems always hungry. The fact that I can pump 7-8 oz while I am nursing my first daughter, I could only product 4 oz for my second daughter.

It seems with / without fenugreeks, the amount of pumping are same.

Any other suggestion now.

What is dosage recommendation on reglan?

ireneh

Postby ireneh » Mon Jul 26, 2004 01:24 pm

I am new to this web site. Here is my problem. My daughter Connie is 3 1/2 month old. I started working after she is 12 week old. I had been on Fenugreek for weeks. I am already taken at 4 piece per time 3 times a day, fenugreek bought from GNC. I have almost finished 2 bottle already. My daughter is still crying in front of the my breast. She still able to take 2 oz supplement whenever we offer to her. When I start working, I pumped about 4 oz to 4.5 oz from 3 pumping session during 8 hours. It is still same after 2 bottle of fenugreek gone.

Last week, I heard about reglan. I started to take both reglan and fenugreek. They don't seems work too.

During the earlier weeks, I have try after my daughter finished one side, when she is taking the second side, pump on the first side, it didn't seems increase any milk supply too.

When I had my first daughter, I was trying to exclusive breast feeding her. She seems OK with it even her weight percentage drop from 50% at the birth to 10% when she is half year old. But for this second daughter, she seems always hungry. The fact that I can pump 7-8 oz while I am nursing my first daughter, I could only product 4 oz for my second daughter.

It seems with / without fenugreeks, the amount of pumping are same.

Any other suggestion now.

pugmommy7

Postby pugmommy7 » Sun Jul 25, 2004 02:06 pm

well, it has been a while since i have posted and wanted to say that the nursing is going great.
we have been using herbs and a supplimental nursing system.
It was kind of difficult at first but now i am so glad that we are using it. I comes highly recommended for both preemies as well as those like me who have undergone a breast reduction surgery which damaged the connection between some of my milk ducts andthe nipple.
I am awaiting the arrival of a lact-aid lactation supplimenter and trainer. I recommend the site www.Lact-Aidinternational.com to anyone who is concerned about low supply or a preemie who has weak suckling skill.

thanks to you guys for all the support. we are doing great!

Jennifer, 30
DH, Chris, 33
Mama & Daddy to:
Isabella Sofia,1/02/03 born @ 33.5 weeks at 3 lbs,6oz., 16". GD,
Pre-E,& borderline HELLP.

Catalina Amelia,5/29/04 born @ 36.2 weeks,4 lbs.,12oz.,16"
GD,PIH,& Pre-e

pugmommy7

Postby pugmommy7 » Fri Jul 09, 2004 01:49 pm

i understand completely. i am typing one handed now!
i'll e-mail you for fenu. info. like dosages. i think it is working.

Jennifer, 30
DH, Chris, 33
Mama & Daddy to:

GD,PIH,& Pre-e

paljane8

Postby paljane8 » Wed Jul 07, 2004 09:42 am

That is great, Jennifer! Sorry I have been limitted in my computer time for the last few weeks. E-mail me for fenugreek advice. I can't post it-KWIM? How is it working for you?

Nancy Eastwood
Moderator/WA State Co-Coordinator

Calvin-8yrs
Saren-7yrs
Scott-5yrs (PE)
Janie-1yr (PIH, oligo and low blood flow)
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/4/4lbs/

pugmommy7

Postby pugmommy7 » Mon Jun 21, 2004 06:59 am

I just checked out the site w/ the fenugreek article that Kim posted a while back.
I am hitting the healthfood store asap!

Right now my production is adaequate, but there are times when I worry.
I also think the baby is getting more efficient at nursing as she grows and gets stronger.
***OOh i forgot to tell you guys that catalina gained 6 ounces as of friday vs. the monday prior!
All the nurses at the ped's office applauded! so at 3 weeks old, she finally returned to her birthweight.
(b/c of the jaundice etc.)

Love,
J

Jennifer, 30
DH, Chris, 33
Mama & Daddy to:

GD,PIH,& Pre-e

pugmommy7

Postby pugmommy7 » Fri Jun 18, 2004 07:19 am

I know how you feel. I told my mother about it I was so ticked. She said"How did he know she didn't just have breast cancer or something??"
Anyway, It is just one of those hard things we have to let go.

I had issues nursing Bella.She never latched well. and we were so happy to have her off the gavage and nipple feeding on the bottle, it was a triumph.

We eventually solely used Neosure.
Luckily though things are going better with Catalina.
She is still a bit weak, but I pump after she feed and give her that in a bottle. I think it gives me a rough idea of how much I am producing.
Sometimes, i have to "push" the bottle. she likes to fall asleep.
But I just try to tell if she is just sucking to chill out.

She has a 3 week weigh in today. I am so anxious to see what it is. She only gained 3/4 of an ounce last week. but that is better than losing or nothing;)

Jennifer, 30
DH, Chris, 33
Mama & Daddy to:

GD,PIH,& Pre-e

laura

Postby laura » Sun Jun 06, 2004 12:10 am

But you know what Jennifer? when he said that- I didn't feel angry at first- I felt horrible shame and guilt. I had wanted to nurse my kids, I put up a valiant fight--twice-- with each kid, but it wasn't happening. My mom was also unable to nurse, and I suspect that it has much to do with some of the PCOS issues I (we) face, including problems structurally with my "ba-bas"

It's hard because the current party line is- everyone can nurse, if they think they can't it's because they're not trying hard enough or don't have the "inside track" and some 'trick' will remedy the situation. Well, that's not always the case.

I heard a lot of critical remarks about it, but that was by far the most offensive. Thanks for the empathy! I still need it a bit, I think [:P] But I had to say that it wasn't any high road taking that made me quiet- it was embarassment! thank goodness Camille is all about table food now, and I don't have to worry about it anymore!

Laura
Moderator/AK Coordinator

Mom to Alicia (severe PE) 5/98 and Camille (htn, oligo) 4/03
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/c/camilleandallie/

pugmommy7

Postby pugmommy7 » Sun Jun 06, 2004 09:08 am

lauramuller,
i was just lurking here and aw your post about what some guy said to you,(about the ba-ba being under your shirt) my mouth is still hanging open!!!
i love how a total stranger has the ba*ls to say something so rude, and absolutely none of his biz!
so many responses come to my mind- but ignoring him is probably the best one, you are a much better person thanI!
way to take the high road!

Jennifer, 30
DH, Chris, 33
Mama & Daddy to:

GD,PIH,& Pre-e

jillene

Postby jillene » Tue Apr 27, 2004 08:32 pm

Try putting a cold cabbage leaf in your bra! It will help with the engorgement and it feels good. The cabbage will naturally curve with your breasts as well. Also, if you wean slowly, cutting one feeding a day and doing that for a week, then cutting another, etc, you'll have no pain at all. It does take a bit longer though.

Jillene (23)
Rob (DH - 25)
Aidan (DS born 5/30/03 4 weeks early due to pe)
http://aidan.vannostrand.net

Return to “After your baby is born .....”