Nursing

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.
blythe

Re : Nursing

Postby blythe » Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:01 am

Sherry, good for you for pumping so much! It's not easy! I pumped for 9 weeks before getting my firstborn on the breast, then it was smooth sailing until I got pregnant with #2 and weaned him in my third trimester. So it is possible to breastfeed after pumping. I probably wouldn't have been so dedicated, though, except my lactation consultant wasn't very nice and I stubbornly wanted to prove her wrong [:D]. So I guess I should thank her...

Both my little guys were sleepy, too. I did the cold cloth trick with #2 - it was actually hard work getting him to stay awake, but easier than pumping! When he was 5 days old he gained 4 ounces in one day (daily jaundice / weight checks) and the doctor was convinced I somehow falsified the reading. She made the nurse weigh him twice. [:D]

Good luck with whatever you decide!!

catherine
Forum Moderator

Postby catherine » Thu Mar 20, 2008 09:55 pm

Sherry, I know that there are many posters here who've had a rough start with nursing. With a preemie it seems like it can be a slow road.

I will tell you what my very first childbirth educator said, "if everyone is still alive 14 days post partum, then you've won the gold medal".

I've always interpreted that to mean "don't make yourself crazy or miserable, do what it takes to get through each day."
That may mean that you supplement more and pump more for now with the reasonable expectation that with good advice and support (LLC, La Leche league, people who have BTDT experience) you will strengthen and extend your nursing partnership. It may also mean that you may ultimately decide that nursing is the straw breaking your camel's back when it comes to managing life with your new baby and her needs and let it go.

I'd suggest that you start a new thread in the parents of preemies forum. I was like you, all my lot were 35-36 weekers and I considered them early rather than premature. They were boobie animals though and didn't take long to get on stream. I will say that they all were keen to doze off while on boob and I used to have to strip them down to their diaper and onesie with a cold cloth to hand to keep them awake and paying attention (cloth for feet and head). A diaper change between sides also helped them be awake and focused.

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Thu Mar 20, 2008 09:53 pm

Sherry, the sleepiness is very very very common, especially if she was at all jaundiced. As they wake up more it gets easier. I remember being amazed at how DS really woke up right around his due date.

Have you seen an IBCLC at all? There was one attached to my NICU, and she was a huge help.

I so hear you on the pumping and the bp that is still high. [:(]

sherbear

Postby sherbear » Thu Mar 20, 2008 09:38 pm

I see this is a really old thread but i guess this is the best place for my Q.. Ive been pumping since my daughter was born almost 2 weeks ago. Its driving me crazy.. i dont know how much longer i want to do it. Im wondering if she will ever breastfeed or if it is a lost cause. She was in the nicu for a week and i wasnt allowed to breastfeed her. I have a ton of milk though. I can get her to latch on but after about one swallow she falls asleep.. She doesnt even do good staying awake to drink a bottle. And i think she is just so spoiled from how easy it is to drink from a bottle. Is there any hope that she will eventually do better ? It is just so stressful because of how time consuming it all is and how sleep deprived i am, and im still having high BP issues. and im on meds. tonight my bp was 150/99 ! yuck. i hate to give up yet.. im just looking for any encouragement or similar situations that anyone has experienced. thanks

spoonzoo

Postby spoonzoo » Sun Jun 25, 2006 09:32 am

I posted this in response to a question on another board about increasing milk supply. I wish these were things that I'd known before delivering #1... especially since he was a preemie/NICU baby and I exclusively pumped at first for him.

Also, know that if you were given mag before/during delivery for PE, it can stall milk production for almost TWO WEEKS!!!

I thought some of you might want to keep this info for future use if needed!!! Katie

** Things you can do/use to increase milk supply ***

* fenugreek capsules (available at natural food stores)
* Mother's Milk Tea (bags - tastes good - also available at health food places - sometimes even Walgreen's)
* Drink at least 64 Oz water per day
* Eating oatmeal - either hot or granola bars etc...
* Domperidone (Motilium) - is a medicine for stomache ailments that happens to have the side-effect of increasing milk production. Your OBGYN can give you an RX for it if you need help - it's very safe
* Avoid supply-reducers... stress, mints (e.g., Altoids peppermint), cold medications like Sudafed
* If you really need a boost, you can also try power pumping - pump for 10 minutes, rest for 10 minutes, pump for 10, rest for 10, etc.
* Barley is another great supply-booster. You can have it in soups, let it sprout for a day or two and drink the barley water, or have beer--Guinness is apparently the best for boosting supply. You can also try one of the barley-based coffee substitutes, such as Pero or Roma.
* Avoid birth control pills, except for the 'mini pill' - it can dry milk supply up... use the mini pill or other form of BC

--

nottmuk70

Postby nottmuk70 » Sat May 27, 2006 07:53 pm

Hi,
I don't know if any of you know this but, when you produce "preemie" milk it's actually made up of almost the opposite of full term milk. You really need more sugar (root beer or any caffine free soda is good)and protein in your diet during this time and it doesn't change it's make-up until your baby is about 8-10lb! The reason i mention this is because the milk is easier to digest than full term milk and you will find yourself feeding way more frequently than someone who's had a full term baby. Their stomachs are smaller and they require more food more often and the preemie milk is digested faster than their full term counter-parts.
So, yes they seem hungry ALL the time (about 45min to 1 and 1/2 hrs later...as opposed to full-term babies that seem to go 1 and 1/2 to 2 hours at a time) during the day. This is just an average and of course there are always exceptions to the rule.
So, you may be producing enough milk for your baby. It may seem like you're not because he seems hungry so quickly after he's just eaten...but that is normal.
Also, the amount of milk you produce is based on how many receptor cells are activated during the first 10 days of your baby being born.
This is information that you can find at your local Le Leche group. But again, there are ALWAYS exceptions to this! If you feel that your baby needs to be subsidized with formula than do it. You know your baby and his needs more than anyone else! Don't let anyone "bully" you into feeling guilty. I love Le Leche because they have so much information and support but i find that they can be a little fanatical at times. I plan on weaning Cadence when she's 14 months (12 months adjusted) and you should of heard the uproar when i asked at my Le L eche meeting how to do this!

dja

Postby dja » Tue Jan 24, 2006 01:01 am

Well, I guess I will call the lactation consultant and see what she has to say. I am maxed on domperidone and fenugreek. Honestly, at this point I just don't think I can go back to pumping in the middle of the night. I know it works - it worked once before when my supply went down, but at that time I wasn't nearly as sick and Malcolm was still at the breast. Darn it all. I'm going to try to keep pumping every 3 hours and just see what happens. He's 10 months on February 2nd, and I may be ready by then to just shift gears a little earlier than planned. Thanks everyone for your ideas. I really appreciate the support.

lizzybeth

Postby lizzybeth » Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:08 pm

Danae,

Have you tried pumping when Malcolm is nearby or looking at his picture? I'm just getting over pneumonia, had a really high temp, 102.6 and ended up dehydrated, since them my milk supply is down. I have increased my water intake tons, sheesh, I was already feeling like I wouldn't be leaving any water for the fishies in the lake....
Have you tried calling LaLeche? Or your delivery hospital's lactation consultant?
Jillian was born 01-09-06 and is doing a combination of breast and bottle BM. She seems fine with all that, whew.

I have never heard of Domperidone and Fenugreek?

Sending you some milk dust and update on what works/doesn't work when you get a chance?
lizzybeth

deerhart

Postby deerhart » Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:59 pm

I'll be the one to jump in here and say that my milk supply never adjusted. I nursed my oldest for the first 3 months. I was engorged the entire time. I was feeding him and pumping out of the other at the same time. He would also nurse every hour on the hour and stay at the breast for 30-45 minutes each time. It was insane! When I stopped BF (and I pretty much stopped cold turkey because I just couldn't operate anymore on his schedule) I had enough milk stored up to continue him on breast milk for another 45 days (since I averaged pumping 8-10oz per feeding or 190-240 oz a day), we extended it to about 50-60 days by slowly mixing in and increasing the formula/BM ratio so he could get used to the taste difference.

My youngest son was much different. My supply was more normal with him and he was on a much better schedule. The problem was he hated not only going to the breast but also the milk. I think it was a combination of disliking the flow and the taste. We ate first thought it was simply him disliking the flow (because he had started out on preemie bottles in the NICU which were way way slower then I was) but it wasn't long that he would refuse to take even the bottles of BM but would instead take formula, thus he bascially weaned himself due to refusal by 8 weeks. BFing was a much more pleasent expirence for my with my youngest then with my oldest. It was also a bit easier to do (though pumping was not as successful the 2nd time around because my supply wasn't as large.. the first time around I didn't even need a pump to get 2-3oz out as the pressure from let down would release that on its own).

Both my kids hated the big playtext nipples, my oldest LOVED the big clear advent nipples and as he got closer to a year old he moved more to the clear smaller nipples (always clear he hated the yellow ones). My youngest son hated all of the bigger nipples and for the first 3 months would only take the tiny red preemie nipples (hence probably why he disliked nursing because thats way closer to the larger nipples then the preemie nipples). After that he moved to any of the smaller type nipples. I think he disliked having anything near his nose while he ate while my oldest didn't mind it at all.

fiona
Forum Moderator

Postby fiona » Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:11 pm

Danae,

I have no words of wisdom, just wanted to add my admiration at your efforts. I've been breastfeeding Sacha 8 months now, and have never managed to pump more than 4 oz. If I'd had to pump exclusively, I can't imagine I'd have lasted a week. Whatever you decide, 10 months of breastmilk is fantastic - way more than most babies get. Malcolm is a very lucky boy.

Return to “After your baby is born .....”