Am I getting the wrong medical advice?

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.
paljane8

Re : Am I getting the wrong medical advice?

Postby paljane8 » Tue Sep 14, 2004 11:35 pm

Hey Suzanne,

How are you? How's the wee one?

Nancy Eastwood

suzanne

Postby suzanne » Tue Aug 24, 2004 04:59 am

I talked to my drs. office yesterday and they right away put me back on the Labetolol. They are starting at 100MG morning and night. They will see me tomorrow, but of course if I get swelling, severe headaches, etc sooner. My BP back on the med. have been better but not perfect (about 130/85 this morning) I do think you are right, Erin---I did way too much the first few days! It didn't feel like too much, as I was just SO HAPPY not to be pregnant and on bed rest anymore! I even drove about 1/8th of a mile to the drug store for diapers! Just had to get out of the house on my own. So I am trying hard to rest more (not easy with the 3 kids now and my DH probably going to TRY to get into work for a bit today!) We take the baby in this afternoon for a weight check. I am hoping she has gained well!

Suzanne (38) and DH Tony (42) + William (9, severe PE, born at 32 weeks on 9/20/94) and Freddy (7, fairly typical pregnancy, birthday twin to the baby, born 8/16/97!) and Jane Alice, born 8/16/04!

paljane8

Postby paljane8 » Mon Aug 23, 2004 10:28 am

Aaaaahhhh, Suzanne, I had no idea. That is sweet. I agree-Janes look like Janes. That is very sweet that you named your 'little doll' Janey. We like the spelling Jaine for Janie but, we figured-to much explaining!!! Take care. What did your ob say?

Nancy Eastwood

deerhart

Postby deerhart » Mon Aug 23, 2004 09:21 am

Suzanna

Also remember that you have been ill and need to continue to rest as much as possible. I know I had problems becuase I wanted to be on the go all the time (several times after my second child the nurse wanted to strap me into the bed LOL) and it would cause my BP to rise up again.

GL!
Erin

Moderator - Parents of Preemies
Missouri State Coordinator
Mommy to Alex (4)and Mason (1 1/2)
Law Student - 1 year done, 2 to go

suzanne

Postby suzanne » Mon Aug 23, 2004 06:49 am

Thanks so much for your input! My BP is a bit lower today (like 130/85 this morning). I have a call in to my OB to discuss it---hope she calls soon. I looked up Labetolol and saw that it has a lot of cautions to not stop taking it suddenly! Which is just what I did. I swore after my experience with Aldomet never to take or stop anything without researching it, but in the hospital I couldn't!

Nancy, your little beautiful Janie influenced my naming! Jane was on my short list (along with Laurel, Lydia and Augusta). It's a family name and I love the nickname Janie (or alt. spelling Janey, not sure which yet). I was kind of leaning toward Laurel, but saw the picture of your Janie and just kept thinking how sweet that would be for a name. So when I saw her just after she was born, she was definately a Janey!! When I was little, ALL my dolls were named Janey.

I will keep you updated!

Suzanne (38) and DH Tony (42) + William (9, severe PE, born at 32 weeks) and Freddy (6, fairly typical pregnancy) and Jane Alice, born 8/16/04!

paljane8

Postby paljane8 » Sun Aug 22, 2004 08:31 pm

I agree with both Julie and T. Anne would be the first to tell you that post partum PE can occur up to 6wks after the baby is born. It happened to her. If you are having headaches, visual disturbances etc. it definately warrents a trip to the ER. Sometimes bp doesn't resolve right away. I left the hospital with low bp too but, a few days later I was up to 150/100. The doc put me on bedrest again for a few weeks. Some of our members are medicated post partum. It is a good idea to track your bp's (take it once a day). If you are getting high readings after 24hrs call your family care or your ob and tell them your dates, times and bp readings. They can work out a course of treatment. Keep us updated, will you? I hope it is better soon. How is Jane? I love that name!

Nancy Eastwood

angelkat

Postby angelkat » Sun Aug 22, 2004 01:44 pm

Suzanne,

I would keep track of your BP's, taking it 4 times a day at different times. When you got the high reading were you upset or doing anything?... That is all to be considered. I would call the doctors office to advise them and also if you have blurred vision or headaches call right away...

Keep us posted....

Hugs
~T
Moderator Grief and Loss
Mommy to
Drew(14)PE 37 wks
Ky (12)PE 34 wks
~i~ Katlyne(12/9/02-04/02/03)25 wks
Casey - 34wks Born 7/29/04
Katlyne's Tribute Site
http://forevernetwork.com/lifestories/l ... ope&Sort=V

julie f

Postby julie f » Sun Aug 22, 2004 01:10 pm

Suzanne,

I'm not qualified to say whether or not that medical advice was wrong but, here's my personal (non-medical) opinion on the matter...

I would absolutely keep checking your pressures! I can't believe you were told not to!!! [}:)] Also, that number is very high - especially since you were so low after delivery... I would give the OB on call a call right now or, just head on down... Make sure they know your history.

Please let us know, I'll be thinking about you.

Julie (27)
Zachary James, 7/22/03-7/27/03, born at 26wks - severe pe

Miracle in progress... #2 is due February 2005!!!

Southern California Coordinator

suzanne

Am I getting the wrong medical advice?

Postby suzanne » Sun Aug 22, 2004 12:04 am

I had my wonderful daughter Jane on Monday. I never got full-fledged PE this pregnancy, but had PIH and was on Labetolol, and had protein in my urine much of the time, etc. I was on modified bed rest for several months. The day after she was born, my BP was very low (like 90/58!) and they took me off the Labetolol and told me to check my BP once a day when I got home. It was fine until today---today it was 140/100. I called my health plan and got what I think might be questionable advice---the nurse practitioner said to not check my BP again today, as reads close together don't mean much, check it tomorrow and call my dr. tomorrow. And stay away from salty foods (something I have never been told before, and as I told her, my sodium was low when tested as part of a kidney test battery!) She said only worry if I get visual disturbances or pains in my side. I am pretty familiar with how PE feels (had it severely with my first pregnancy) and I feel good today---not sick, that is why my BP surprised me. I am wondering if I should insist on being seen or just should go to the hospital or if I should just keep taking my BP or what....or if that advice was sound. Thanks!

Suzanne (38) and DH Tony (42) + William (9, severe PE, born at 32 weeks) and Freddy (6, fairly typical pregnancy) and Jane Alice, born 8/16/04!

Return to “After your baby is born .....”