Anyone with reflux experience?

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.
ann marie

Re : Anyone with reflux experience?

Postby ann marie » Sat Jul 31, 2004 05:31 am

Glad Peyton is doing better. Reflux is such a difficult thing. Be warned that for many babies Zantac just stops working after they have been on it awhile. I didn't know this. If I had I would have called sooner when Luke's symptoms started to worsen. Good luck:)

Ann Marie (29)Moderator for "Ask the Experienced"
DH: Matt (32)
PIH/PE/Low Amniotic Fluid
Luke 3/17/04--37 weeks after 15 weeks of bedrest

icats

Postby icats » Fri Jul 30, 2004 07:49 pm

Glad the previcid is working for him! Payton has been on Zantac for about two months now, and it has really helped. She was projectile vomiting before we gave it to her. She still spits up, but not near as much. We also put 1 tsp. of rice cereal in for each oz of formula and give her lacto free formula. The cereal makes it stay down better.

Icats
(HELLP, PIH)
Mother of Payton Mary
born on 2/29/04 6 wks early
http://www.preeclampsia.org/stories/story.asp?ID=657

paljane8

Postby paljane8 » Wed Jul 14, 2004 03:20 pm

Wow, scarey, Amanda! What a frightening experience!

Nancy Eastwood
Moderator/WA State Co-Coordinator

Calvin-8yrs
Saren-7yrs
Scott-5yrs (PE)
Janie-1yr (PIH, oligo and low blood flow)
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/4/4lbs/

amjeang

Postby amjeang » Wed Jul 07, 2004 12:21 am

ps. I was also informed to switch Michael's formula over to Nutramigen. This helped!!

amjeang

Postby amjeang » Wed Jul 07, 2004 12:19 am

My son had acid reflux with projectile vomitting when he was only 5 weeks old. One day I was changing his diaper and he started vomitting so much he started inhaling his own vomit. Luckily I used to be a preschool teacher and knew how to perform CPR.

I performed CPR on my 5lb infant. I'll NEVER forget the blank look in his eyes and blue lips. I restored his breathing and luckily never lost site of his heart beat. I was all alone and I think I went into a state of shock...cuz what happened that day all seems like a movie looking back.

For some reason I drove Michael to the hospital and ran frantically into the ER. I don't know why I didn't call an ambulance, I guess I couldn't think. They took him overnight for observation and diagnosed him with acid reflux. The doc's were very happy w/my performance and it turned into a blessing that I drove him, because sitting upright was just what needed to happen to keep him from essentially drowning in his own vomit.

After that I saw a gasternologist who perscribed both Zantac and Reglan. They also recommended I add up to 4tsps of cerel in his bottles and elevate the crib. From there Michael's pediatrician took over and I would follow up w/the gasternologist in 1 year. So I did and things seemed fine for a while...

Until one day I got home from a college Mid-Term only to hear a voicemail from the nurse at the gasternologist. Turns out CVS pharmacy made a mistake in filling the initial perscription from the gasternologist and instead of filling 1mg per ml they filled it as 10mg per ml mistaking the curviture in the m as an extra zero.

Michael's pediatrician DR. R****** G******* of Sturdy Pediatrics in Attleboro decided he was going to mimic what the gasternologist did and that he wasn't going to do any research on it himself, so he continued to refill the perscription as 10mg per ml until that year marker came up and the gasternologist caught wind of what was going on.

So from there the worst 2weeks of my life..waiting for more information from the Poison Control center, the toxocologist at Children's Hospital in Boston, and the March of Dimes. See CVS, the pediatrician, and the gasternologist refused to answer any questions since everyone had a stake in the liability.

Michael was monitered for a solid year by both Early Intervention and Children's hospital. So far no long term effects. I was told the real test will be when Michael starts reading and writing.

What kills me is that My son NEVER napped not from the time he was on that medication until he got off, and I kept telling the doc, and he kept telling me I wasn't letting him cry, and maybe I was spoiling him, etc.

Sorry.. Guess I went off on a tangent. Didn't mean to scare you or anything

Amanda (23)
Michael (24)

Michael 01/28/2000 born at 34 wks - severe PE

#2 due 01/20/04 and praying..

raindrop

Postby raindrop » Mon Jul 05, 2004 11:14 am

Wyatt also has reflux and esophigitis (sp??) He never did eat well and finally at about 2mo they started giving him tagment it didnt do well for very long with it. He went to the GI and they did the EGD and ph probe and sent him home on Prevacid Reglan and Zantac and after about 2 wks we had to cut out the reglan (he wouldnt sleep, it kept him awake). Now at 1yr old we are having another EGD and ph probe (on the 7th) as he is getting worse again.

I hate to hear him crying so much and also not sleeping long at a time again. He had done so well for about 4-5mo.

Good luck and glad the prevacid is doing good for Luke now.

Donna - 32
Richard - 33
Whitney Lynn Rochelle- 6-27-99 - (36 wks due to PE) 5lbs 2oz 18in long
Wyatt Elijah Lawrence- 7-3-03 (34wks 6days due to PIH/PE) 4lbs 6.8oz 17in long
Expecting #3 EDD March 3, 2005

http://www.geocities.com/raindropzplace ... 7812569412

http://www.imagestation.com/member/?name=raindrop1971

hutced

Postby hutced » Mon Jul 05, 2004 07:14 am

Evan has had reflux for over 8 months, he was at his worse at about 5 months old and now he has been the same for about a month, he has good and bad days still but over all he is better. Zantac and Reglan did nothing for him, now he is on prevacid and reglan for about 3 months now and he has been doing much better. Also smaller bottles of thickend formula seems to help.

Good luck.

Denise
Emily 3-6-02 41 1/2wks, 7lbs15oz
Evan 10-21-03 35wks, 5lbs6oz, PIH/PE (placental abruption)http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/h/hutced/

ann marie

Postby ann marie » Sun Jul 04, 2004 07:06 am

Hi Everyone,

Thanks so much for your encouragment and tips. Luke is doing wonderfully with the Prevacid. It is a wonder drug for him. His whole disposition has changed. He's no longer fussy and is cooing and smiling almost the whole day. Thank goodness. Now we just have to work on getting him to sleep in his crib (he's in his car seat now:). One thing at a time though:)

AM

Ann Marie (29)
DH: Matt (32)
PIH/PE/Low Amniotic Fluid
Luke 3/17/04--37 weeks after 15 weeks of bedrest

angelkat

Postby angelkat » Sun Jul 04, 2004 01:20 am

My Son Drew was such a colic baby we gave him Chamomile Tea in his bottle with a little sugar and it would clam his tummy down and he would finally sleep.

Kyle on the other hand had acid testing a few times to see what could be done to help control it since it would trigger off his CF. He was placed on Tagament and reglan combo (which I do not think they do anymore) but when all else failed I gave him the Chamomile Tea to settle his tummy and it worked better then the meds.

Praying we do not have acid reflux problems with Casey but it's just so common any more I'm stocking up on the Chamomile Tea.

Hugs
~T
Moderator Grief and Loss
Mommy to
Drew(13)PE 37 wks
Ky (11)PE 34 wks
~i~ Katlyne(12/9/02-04/02/03)25 wks
Casey Looking at Aug
Katlyne's Tribute Site
http://forevernetwork.com/lifestories/l ... ope&Sort=V

5thtymachrm

Postby 5thtymachrm » Sat Jul 03, 2004 10:02 pm

thought I'd chime in too, Indy has reflux, fairly bad. she was started on zantac at about 4wks after not really gaining because of vomiting dozens of times a day and nonstop screaming, I felt so horrible for her. Then they switched her to compounded prevacid 15mg a day now. they too had forgotten to up her meds when she increased weight and she got really bad around 5 months, then the dose was doubled and she is somewhat better. she still vomits at least once every other day, sometimes more. we also had to add rice cereal to all of her bottles and cont'd to give her the simethicone drops for gassiness.

I hope she starts feeling better soon!

Elizabeth

Indigo E. 11/20/03:37wks, PIH
ttc #2 is a go!

Return to “After your baby is born .....”