Good heaven's look at this.....!

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.
hutced

Re : Good heaven's look at this.....!

Postby hutced » Mon Jul 05, 2004 07:38 am

My 2 year old daughter started going on the potty at 12 months old, not full time but she wanted to "go" like mommy. When she was 18 months old we started putting big girl panties on her and just let her have accidents in them for a couple of days until she figured out what it felt like to need to go, going out was a problem because we always needed to have 5 changes of clothes but if we put the pullups on her she would use it like a diaper. She was potty trained in about 2 weeks. Our only problem is at night, she has such a small bladder, she goes to the bathroom about 50 times a day which I think is why she was trained so quickly, we did have her checked for UTI's and nothing. So anyway at night we put her in pull-ups, a couple times we forgot and btw she sleeps with us..... you can guess what happend next. I can't wait until the new "wet" pullups comes out so she can learn when she needs to wake up and go potty without mommy and daddy getting wet.

Denise
Emily 3-6-02 41 1/2wks, 7lbs15oz
Evan 10-21-03 35wks, 5lbs6oz, PIH/PE (placental abruption)http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/h/hutced/

kim

Postby kim » Sat Jul 03, 2004 01:37 pm

Melissa,
Ainsley is also always constipated. It doesn't matter what she eats or drinks! She has conditioned herself to clench her hiney to hold it in, she screams her head off when she feels the urge. I have found that putting a potty topper on the potty seems to help the gravity. We usually push her legs up a little.
(BTW, I can't believe how big Ainsley's poop is! I'm amazed that she doesn't have hemmorhoids!)

Kim
Texas Chapter Coordinator

Ainsley 11/26/02-36 Weeks Preeclampsia
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/a/ainsleyk/

meljoi

Postby meljoi » Sat Jul 03, 2004 06:46 am

JINX!
I said he never wet the bed.....
he did last night!
I phoned the doctor and Peyton is now on Benefiber. We'll see how that works.
I tried to sprinkle Kashi on yogurt, a friend of mine who's daughter has had the same problem-said this trick works at getting fiber into her little angel.
Well, Peyton flipped. He is texture weird. Likes Ice cream plain, yogurt plain....argh!!!
Picky eaters! I'll keep you posted, hopefully we should get some action here pretty soon!

Melissa Joi 32
DH Jeremy 43
mama to Peyton John 12/04/00 (severe pre-e @ 38wks)
2nd babe due 11/26/04

deerhart

Postby deerhart » Fri Jul 02, 2004 07:05 am

LOL Catherine Mason will do that too except he doesn't put a new one on.. he just runs around naked.

To make them poop try grape juice or apple juice in abundance.. it always gets my boys going and going and going and going..

Erin

Moderator - Parents of Preemies
Missouri State Coordinator
Mommy to Alex (4)and Mason (1 1/2)
Law Student - 1 year done, 2 to go

catherine
Forum Moderator

Postby catherine » Fri Jul 02, 2004 07:02 am

Gosh Melissa, can't say I've ever had one of those kids.... we are overwhelmed by the efficiency of Chloe's and Lucy's intestinal tracts. My favorite answer used always to be prunes. Prunes as "sauce" on yoghurt or ice-cream, chewy dried prunes or figs as a snack. These are my biggest guns and we do it so rarely because we need to as opposed to want to.... hmn maybe there is a correlation there.

Lucy frustrates me.... this morning she changed her own pull up!!! So what exactly going on with this kid??? She even put the old and soggy one in the diaper pail. Obviously totally habituated!!!

Catherine
Mom to Finn, Lucy (preeclampsia and HELLP) and Chloe.
Moderator HELLP Syndrome Survivors

meljoi

Postby meljoi » Fri Jul 02, 2004 06:49 am

Peyton has never had a peeing problem. He stopped peeing in his diapers at night just before he turned two. He has never wet his bed. He has awesome bladder control at night!! :-)
My problem is the poop.....or lack there of. He has always been constipated, severely....the doctor prescribed a laxative-he only poops like every 3-4 days. He has done it in the potty before, but I think he is so scared about the pain...(tmi-he goes almost adult size!)
So, that was totally off of the Pamper's topic wasn't it! Any suggestions girls? I might take him to the doctor today.....I don't want to keep giving him the laxative, but he doesn't eat fruit or veggies......how is he a vegetarians kid???

Melissa Joi 32
DH Jeremy 43
mama to Peyton John 12/04/00 (severe pre-e @ 38wks)
2nd babe due 11/26/04

kim

Postby kim » Thu Jul 01, 2004 08:25 pm

Ainsley could care less if she is wearing a diaper or pull-up. She does hold her leg in a weird way when she needs to pee, so that is our cue! If she is wet, she says "Wet, YUCK!" Yes, I am VERY LUCKY that Ainsley is pretty much potty trained at 19 months old. She did it all herself. (I have to gloat because she was so slow at rolling, sitting, crawling and walking) :-)

Kim
Texas Chapter Coordinator

Ainsley 11/26/02-36 Weeks Preeclampsia
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/a/ainsleyk/

pugmommy7

Postby pugmommy7 » Mon Jun 28, 2004 08:06 am

the cloth training pants route sounds good to me.
They have some great options now.
I bought the easy-up's one time, and I will never again!!
I think all they are good for, is when a child has urology issues and needs protection through the night-sepereate from training issues kwim?
I am all about the feel-wet ones though- sure beats scraping poop outta undies;)

my bella is 17 1/2 months and is starting to express potty interest. but I am not pushing it at all, esp w/ a 4 week old here now!

Jennifer, 30
DH, Chris, 33
Mama & Daddy to:
Isabella Sofia,1/02/03 born @ 33.5 weeks at 3 lbs,6oz., 16". GD,
Pre-E,& borderline HELLP.

Catalina Amelia,5/29/04 born @ 36.2 weeks,4 lbs.,12oz.,16"
GD,PIH,& Pre-e

deerhart

Postby deerhart » Sun Jun 27, 2004 04:05 pm

Pull ups are a must here, since diapers stopped fitting Mason at a year and didn't fit Alex since he was 14 months old (and he just went out of them this January) I expect Mason to be in them for ohh another year probably, though he is much more eager to potty train then Alex ever was or still is.

Erin

Moderator - Parents of Preemies
Missouri State Coordinator
Mommy to Alex (4)and Mason (1 1/2)
Law Student - 1 year done, 2 to go

meg

Postby meg » Sun Jun 27, 2004 05:04 am

The daycare thing does make it hard! Luckily I work in the public schools and have time off during the year. I trained both of mine during the 2 week Christmas break. They were both about 80-90% trained by the end of the two weeks. Luckily my preschool/daycare shared my philopsohpy on potty trainined and was willing to let me go ahead and send them in underware and they just delt with the accidents ( there werent too many). B/C I had done the bulk of the work at home those 2 weeks. I dont know what I would have done if I didnt have time off with them to be home and train! Good luck to you!!!

Will 2-6-00 ( PE at 35 weeks)
Elizabeth 7-3-01 ( NO PE or PIH)
#3 EDD 10-25-04 Its a girl! So far so good!
Proud Aunt to Ethan born 27 weeks (March 8th) weighing 1lb 8 ounces! Our little fighter!
Now 5 pounds 5 ounces. He is home and off of oxygen!

Return to “After your baby is born .....”