Heart Palpitations

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.
jmom08

Re : Heart Palpitations

Postby jmom08 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:56 am

Me too!! I never had them before PE, they started after PE when my son was about 1 yr old. Mine are brief, and usually start with either a quick squeezing/tight sensation or the feeling that my heart skipped a beat and then thudded hard, and things feel out of whack for a few seconds before getting normal again. Happens 1 or 2x a month. Internist referred me to a cardiologist, they did a stress test, 24 hr monitor (didn't catch it on monitor), and they did a sonogram and hooked up the little electrodes. The cardiologist said I have a mild murmur / valve leak that is still within the range of "normal" (afterward I had a different doctor tell me that almost everyone has a valve leak and not to worry) and I'm fine to TTC again, just to let them know if symptoms get worse or more frequent. Assuming things stay the same, I get a checkup every 3 yrs to make sure all is well.

Also, the internist mentioned that caffeine makes them worse, and I've noticed since then that they do seem to happen more often when I've had coffee!

babyemsmom

Postby babyemsmom » Thu Oct 01, 2009 09:41 am

I have had them ever since my PE experience. All my heart tests have been fine. Annoying and scary though, huh?

missgamecock

Postby missgamecock » Wed Sep 30, 2009 09:33 pm

Me too! No reason as to why...

brittnid

Postby brittnid » Wed Sep 30, 2009 04:25 pm

I have palpatations as well and was referred to a Cardiologist. He prescribed me Propranolol 40mg, which I take 2x/day. They work wonders :) Hope this helps!

mommy1st

Postby mommy1st » Mon Sep 28, 2009 06:21 pm

It's funny you mentioned this because I saw the dr. last week for this same exact thing! They did an EKG right there in the office and everything came out fine. My dr believes all of this is due to stress for me since it only happens at night and that's usually when we all relax. So I was put on some anxiety meds, bp meds and a med to help when the heart start into the palpitations. My bp was 161/110 at the office!! Scary for me because my bp is usually 120-130/70-80 in the office not pregnant. I've been on the meds for less than a week and things are working out great! Today and yesterday was no palpitations!!
Good luck!

mom2chloe

Postby mom2chloe » Mon Sep 28, 2009 05:35 pm

Thank you. I will make an appointment with my doc. I am Nervous Nellie, but it seems that all of you have them, and they said they were normal. So thanks for eliminating some of the anxiety. :)

denise

Postby denise » Mon Sep 28, 2009 02:31 pm

I, too, have occasional palpatations. Had a work-up after mentioning them to my doc at a checkup. It could be normal, but with our risk of heart disease after PE...it's something to check in with your doc about.

kara
Forum Moderator

Postby kara » Mon Sep 28, 2009 02:08 pm

Echoing Sonja here. I too have palpitations that come and go. Sometimes they are really annoying. I had a full cardiac work-up because I had some breathing difficulties as well, and the palpitations are considered normal. But I would certainly mention it to your doc.

sonja
Forum Moderator

Postby sonja » Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:47 am

Hi Missy,

I have had heart palpatations for years - they come and go and don't seem to have any reason to them. I have been to the doctors about them and they say that they are fairly common.

Having had pre-e does put you at great risk of heart disease later in life.

I would make an appointment with your PCP and get evaluated. It is great that you are keeping track of when they are happening, that should help your doctor out.

Take care.

mom2chloe

Heart Palpitations

Postby mom2chloe » Mon Sep 28, 2009 00:43 am

Hi everyone...its been a pretty long time since I posted on this website. My son, Micah, is 16 months now, and thankfully doing very well. Although, PE free with him, I did have HELLP/Severe Pe with my first pregnancy. She is still a peanut, but she's your typical 4 year old nowadays.

SO here I am, and I keep having these heart palpitations. They can take my breath away, and end as fast as they come or they can last for several minutes. I have been keeping a mental record, of when they occur, but I can't seem to find an easy reason. My next step is to actually journal them.

Have any of you experienced similar symptoms post pe/Hellp? I know its been a while since my HELLP diagnosis and I had another pregnancy with nothing. But are we predisposed to more health problems later? and is our heart one of them? I also read that your thyroid can be a trigger to these palpitations, anyone have thyroid issues as well?

Thanks. Missy

Return to “After your baby is born .....”