Cate's surgery update (Final results - Need Advic)

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.
love_the_daschies

Re : Cate's surgery update (Final results - Need Advic)

Postby love_the_daschies » Wed Sep 23, 2009 07:36 am

Glad you are getting answers! what a cool first word :)

audrey s.

Postby audrey s. » Mon Sep 21, 2009 02:28 am

I won't say they ALL close on their own, but the odds are pretty good it should. And hopefully a year will be a huge difference in Cate's overall status so it's not so much of an issue in itself. It's possible that right now it's shunting a bit more than you'd like given the lung problems, but with better control of the reflux and consequent inflammation, hopefully that shunt will no longer be a factor for her. Here's hoping!

missgamecock

Postby missgamecock » Sun Sep 20, 2009 09:45 pm

Yeah it is a PFO defect. She is 8 mos old now. He said not to worry about it to age 2. He said at age 2 we decide what to do about it. Hopefully, it will close on its own. The combination of the hole, the asthma, and the reflux are causing problems for her.

audrey s.

Postby audrey s. » Sun Sep 20, 2009 02:43 am

Is the "hole" a patent foramen ovale? That's actually a normal opening in the atrial septum pre-natally and in something like 20% of all normal adults even hasn't yet closed. We consider it "normal" within the first six months of life, and I see it all the time even in teens. We just note that it's there and it's rare that we do anything about it, particularly in childhood.

If it's something else, that might be different. But often atrial shunts (gaps in the wall separating the upper chambers of the heart) get smaller and smaller with time, and will frequently close completely all on their own.

Glad to hear you FINALLY got some answers. Sounds like it's not a surprise; you had suspected severe reflux, which of course will cause pulmonary inflammation due to chronic aspiration.

Hope they find the right combo of meds to finally get Cate "buffed up" and on her way to normal life! I bet you are SO glad to have this procedure behind you.

mnmom
Forum Moderator

Postby mnmom » Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:00 am

Glad everything went well and hope you get some answers soon!

mommy1st

Postby mommy1st » Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:09 am

Glad you are finding out the root of the problem and can do something about it!!! Poor Cate and poor mommmy!!!

Awww...her first word!!! How cute:) Alexa said dada first but it was pronounced "baba" now she says dada. I love it when they start talking, it's so much fun!!

hols537

Postby hols537 » Sat Sep 19, 2009 08:30 am

I'm so glad to hear you're starting to get some answers (and hopefully some relief for the little one)!

Jonathan said "mama" first too. In fact, of his (relatively) large vocabulary, he still doesn't use "dada" often :)

missgamecock

Postby missgamecock » Fri Sep 18, 2009 09:37 pm

No not cells that cause it (lol that's what we get for having the PE). It's the cells in the lining of the GI tract that are damaged by the reflux. It causes some kind of marbling effect on them. Like I said I read about it, but for the life of me I can't find the links now. I knew what she was talking about when she showed us the pics.

kara
Forum Moderator

Postby kara » Fri Sep 18, 2009 08:29 pm

Oh, so they are lining cells that are damaged by reflux, maybe? I was thinking it was a type of cell that was contributing to reflux, which didn't make any sense. Teehee!

missgamecock

Postby missgamecock » Fri Sep 18, 2009 08:20 pm

They can do a scope of the GI tract (she had three different ones). They biopsy cells from the lining? The cells of the lining appear marbelized. (I saw several articles referencing that when the dr talked to us about her having GERD, but can't find it now!). The cells look different. She showed us a whole bunch of pictures of her lungs and esophagus and adenoids. You could see the difference in healthy cells and the reflux ones. I can ask her more when we go to FU.

Return to “After your baby is born .....”