All I can say is AGGGGGGHHHHHHH

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.
missgamecock

Re : All I can say is AGGGGGGHHHHHHH

Postby missgamecock » Tue Sep 15, 2009 05:46 pm

I know I was SHOCKED. I literally found out about this at 1030am and I was walking out the door at work at 10:57am for a 11:40am appt. They were awesome and got her squeezed in. The cardiologist even faxed his handwritten report to the surgeon. I thought it would be months before she got in as there are a limited number of slots at the local hospital. I read up on it. It seems people who have this have an increase in migraines (migraines do run in the family as dh, Kirsten, and I all get them), strokes, and then the diving thing. She does have to take precautions according to the nurse when I called her with the results when she has procedures done.

I hope it closes by age 2. He said right now we watch it. She was a perfect angel during both exams.

kara
Forum Moderator

Postby kara » Tue Sep 15, 2009 05:40 pm

I'm surprised your doc didn't tell you about an echo up front. I thought those were pretty standard before surgery with anesthesia, on a little one. I mean you'd certainly want them to make sure her heart was healthy enough for anesthesia.

We were getting echo's frequently before Avery had her PDA (patent ductus arteriosus) closed. Thank GOODNESS for DVD players in the echo rooms, otherwise she never would have sat still. We jumped on the surgery when she developed pulmonary hypertension, and her left ventricle became enlarged. She was sleeping 18 hours a day as an 18 month old. The only time she turned blue was when refluxing and getting her nose and throat blocked with vommit though.

Hope everything goes smoothly now! I'm surprised they got you in so fast. That is awesome. SOmetimes you have to wait for months!

mommy1st

Postby mommy1st » Tue Sep 15, 2009 04:04 pm

ahhh! Oh no Sabrina but I have heard of a lot of people having this. It's funny because it's suppose to close but in the last couple of years I have known people who's have not. I hope it closes for her by the time she's 2!

What craziness for you I've been thinmking of you with Cate's surgery coming up...give me a call!!!

catherine
Forum Moderator

Postby catherine » Tue Sep 15, 2009 02:44 pm

The only time I've ever heard concern about a PFO was when I was diving... it increased your risk of the "bends". Don't let Cate go snorkeling in her bathtub!

missgamecock

All I can say is AGGGGGGHHHHHHH

Postby missgamecock » Tue Sep 15, 2009 02:15 pm

What more? So the ENT dr that is doing Cate's surgery on Friday called and said we had to get an echocardiogram and EKG done on Cate before surgery. WTF? It's not like going and having your blood drawn. The stars must have been aligned right today! Called the local hospital. We are in luck, it is the ONCE A MONTH peds cardiology clinic and they will squeeze her in. Have to call the pcp to get an immediate referral and oral authorization. FLY home from work and get Cate from daycare. Her EKG was normal. However, she does in fact have a small hole in her heart. It is a patent Foramen Ovale. Basically, it was a hole that was supposed to close when she was born and hasn't yet. The cardiologist cleared her for surgery. She will need iv antibiotics according to the surgeon now. We now have cardiology visits added to the mix. The cardiologist said not to worry yet about it and she has till age 2 for it to close. Then we will decide what to do. He said this could be a reason for a blue baby.

Can I say AGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH. Isn't it enough to have PE and deliver early? At least it is something treatable.

Return to “After your baby is born .....”