UTI question

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.
mommy1st

Re : UTI question

Postby mommy1st » Tue Sep 15, 2009 01:10 pm

thanks Catherine and Jamie!
I just got a call from the dr. with the results the u/s showed everything fine but the xray showed a level 2 reflux. So now we are going to a urologist next tues and her ped. is putting her on a series of meds that he is calling in tonight, so they will be ready for pickup tomorrow. UGH! I swear!! I can't believe this but know that all these precedures are good and helping her get better.

jamie w

Postby jamie w » Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:23 am

With Carly, she had recurrent UTIs. The first one they just gave us antibiotics and then with the second one came the referral to the nephrologist and the work up. It ended up she had kidney reflux and after a couple more UTIs she ended up on prophylactic antibiotics. It was annoying to do all of the work up but it has made a difference. Also, be careful with soap and bubbles in the bath. My daughter is old enough now that she showers because ANY soap in the bathwater would give her a raging UTI once she went off of the prophylactic antibiotics. She is now 5 and I think it has been about a year since the last UTI so it appears she is outgrowing the problem just as they said she would. I hope Alexa is on the mend soon.

catherine
Forum Moderator

Postby catherine » Tue Sep 15, 2009 07:38 am

Holly, it's pretty uncommon for little kids, boy or girl, to have a UTI. However, when kids do have reccurent infection it most often indicates a structural abnormality. So, I guess that it makes sense to do an X-ray and u/s, neither of which is invasive even though they can be a little uncomfortable, so that possibility can be ruled out. I think that the trend is to recognize that prolonged or recurrent inflammation in a UT that is already dealing with issues is bad and needs to be actively managed. If it's just her bad luck, well the antibiotics should be enough and no additional monitoring will be needed.

mommy1st

UTI question

Postby mommy1st » Tue Sep 15, 2009 00:08 am

So 12 days ago Alexa went into the dr. because she kept having a high fever of 103 that wouldn't go away. They did a urine culture on her and some blood work. They got the urine culture back 3 days later from the lab and come to find out she has a UTI. So they had us come into the office and they gave her a anitbiotic shot and sent us home with a rx for some anitbiotics. They also scheduled with the hospital a u/s of her kidneys and an xray. We did that this morning(it took that long because that was the soonest the hospital could get us in).
So here is my question for you ladies with girls. When your girls have had a UTI is this what the protocall is for one? I asked the xray tech/nurse and she said yes now they are making patients or babies get this done when they have a UTI. I just thought it was crazy for a UTI but then again this is my first time having a girl. Don't get me wrong I wouldn't want anything serious go on with Alexa and would want the serious measures taken if there was. I just thought it was a lot of pain for her to go through and dind't know if this was standard precedure. So, just wondering when your girls get UTI's if they have to go through all this and if you've had it come back again if they had to do it all over again too.

Thanks!

Return to “After your baby is born .....”