After PE scared of swine flu with newborn

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.
dolphinjen

Re : After PE scared of swine flu with newborn

Postby dolphinjen » Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:46 pm

I am extremely worried about this too.

missgamecock

Postby missgamecock » Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:11 pm

I am very very worried especially as Cate has breathing issues. We saw the pulmonologist and he said he was very very glad we got to him before flu and RSV season started. She is having surgery on the 18th so we can come up with a plan. I hope to have her vaccinated as soon as the vaccine is available here.

tree
Forum Moderator

Postby tree » Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:24 pm

We left the NICU when the swine flu first hit in the US, and we were terrified. I wanted her to stay in the hospital... We stayed home for her first 6 weeks and didn't worry about it much over the summer. H1N1 is already here (never left), and she is now in daycare.
So, I've been obsessively reading about how it affects infants. The most recent data suggests that it isn't that bad in infants. They will get sick, but no worse than regular flu. It actually appears to be a mild flu. We are all extremely careful about handwashing anyway and hoping for the best. This H1N1 doesn't seem like something to worry too much about. CO has had a lot of swine flu in the last 4-5 months, and it doesn't seem too rough. That said, I would stay away from large crowds etc. for the first 6 weeks to be safe.

tracym

Postby tracym » Sun Sep 06, 2009 08:40 pm

We've had lots of it here for months. My dad and his wife had it, dad was moderately ill for a week. His wife got Tamiflu in the first 24 hours and was only ill for a couple of days. They both have underlying health conditions.

I'm fairly sure they got it from my ds, who probably got it from my mum. Neither of them were tested, but mum was moderately sick for a few weeks. Ds was fine, just seemed to have a bit of a cold for a few days.

I'd be nervous with a newborn too, but no more so than any other flu or illness. All you can do is wash hands and surfaces often, stay at least 1m away from people with symptoms and hope for the best.

Enjoy your new bundle of joy :)

sonja
Forum Moderator

Postby sonja » Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:35 am

You are a mother - you will never relax again about your baby - that is just the way we are ;-).

It seems that the reviews are mixed here as well. One day you hear that it is similar to the regular flu and the next you hear that it will hit much worse. One thing that I keep hearing is that it will be effecting young adults harder - not its regular population of the very young and older folks - so Helena is out of that population.

I think that common sense stuff like hand washing and staying away from sick people is the best way to go for now.

Take care.

susheli

After PE scared of swine flu with newborn

Postby susheli » Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:31 am

The swine flu has't really hit france yet, but everyone is talking about it arriving here big time in the next weeks/days.
Now that we have survived PE again I was hoping I could relax, but now I'm terrified of my tiny newborn - still under 6 pounds - getting very sick. Am I overreacting? I can't seem to gage from the media what the risks really are, and the drs we see here say they don't know yet either...
I know there's been more exposure in the US and wonder how you feel about the risks?

Sometimes I wonder whether I'll ever be able to relax again and enjoy my baby? :-(

Return to “After your baby is born .....”