Albuterol inhaler tips & tricks?

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.
missgamecock

Re : Albuterol inhaler tips & tricks?

Postby missgamecock » Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:34 pm

Kirsten had the same problem with constipation. Try miralax every night. The usual dose is 17grams. It does not go through the bloodstream and it basically goes through the body. Confirm the dose with your drs though. It really does help.

I can ask the ENT tomorrow if reflux can come back after being ok for a year for you when we see her. That may give you another direction.

trish
Forum Moderator

Postby trish » Wed Sep 16, 2009 09:41 pm

Sabrina, she did have reflux & was on prevacid until about 9 months or so. It pretty much just cleared up then & we've had no reflux issues for nearly a year now. No food issues we know of except the increased milk/pediasure/carnation we're doing to help her gain weight is making her constipated. She did have several sinus infections & ear infections plus RSV last winter. And seasonal allergies are affecting all of us & I think it's because we are new to this area & it's allergens.

The Ped did write the neb Rx for 4 times a day but we haven't filled it yet. Hopefully it'll be a 30 day supply & not just 6 days!! Her cough isn't worse not doing the neb but it's not better yet either. I'll update when I know what the plan will be or if we'll even need the neb anymore at least for now. Thanks!

missgamecock

Postby missgamecock » Wed Sep 16, 2009 08:46 pm

Oh and another thing (it all depends on your insurance), have the dr write the script out for 3 times a day every day. Then you can get like 3 boxes for one copay. The pulmonologist did this for Cate for Atrovent (another neb med). It comes in a box of 24. There is only ONE foil package for all 24 vials. So you have to toss it if you don't use it all. I tried telling the allergist that. He wanted to be a jerk about it and said one box for one copay. Which our pharmacist said was rediculous (small town here so he knows his patients). So when we switched, I told the pulmonologist what the allergist said and he said crazy. So he rewrote the rx (he is assuming care anyway for her asthma and tracheomalacia) for a 30 day supply and we get more than one box now!!!

missgamecock

Postby missgamecock » Wed Sep 16, 2009 08:42 pm

Is this a new set of symptoms for her? The reason I ask is since Cate was born she has been wheezing, SEVERELY congested, coughing, turning blue, etc. We found out that one of the main reasons she was so congested was reflux. She was NOT a baby that spit up!!! So I was wondering if she may have a reflux problem that has suddenly gotten worse. I thought you said she had issues with foods too, maybe I am wrong.

If her asthma was acting up, it would be VERY easy for her to get a secondary infection like bronchitis or a sinus infection.

trish
Forum Moderator

Postby trish » Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:00 am

Kristine - thanks. We were back at the Ped yesterday & she's actually off the neb for now. We had done 5 days of oral steroids while doing xopenex on the neb but *still* the cough. Plus xyzal antihistamine at night. UGH!

But, yesterday she wasn't wheezing (yeah!) but her cough & nasal congestion are worse so the Ped. wants to try Amox. & see if it's a sinus infection that if we clear *that* up, then it will solve the cough. But I mentioned how hyper the xopenex made her & she said well if *that* makes her hyper then I'll just write for the cheap stuff. LOL! But she said don't fill it yet, to wait & see how the Amox. works first. She'll call us tomorrow to see how things are looking & go from there.

kdreher

Postby kdreher » Wed Sep 16, 2009 08:43 am

Trish I know how it feels. Michael was on the albuterol and pulmicourt for about a week and when we went for a check up I told the pedi it's not helping. He ended up on 4 days of prednisone by mouth and it helped. The xopenex costs more than the albuterol and it's pretty much the same stuff...I think the xopenex is a higher concentrate. I was hit with a $35 copay and when I found out they were the same I asked to have the albuterol ordered instead. It's a chaper copay too. So you might ask about it. Lucky for me the meds don't make Michael hyper.

trish
Forum Moderator

Postby trish » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:01 pm

Ali did not get the memo that xopenex shouldn't make her nuts. LOL! She literally bounces off the walls. She is still awake & going strong at nearly 9 again tonight. We tried doing it while she slept the first night but turning on the neb. machine woke her up so then she was up & fighting it. But I think by the middle of the night dose, even though she woke up for it, she was tired enough that she went back to sleep ok. The past 2 nights we stretched it to almost 8 hours so we could all get some solid sleep.

But our script was for 24 doses ($60 for 6 days of meds - ugh!) so we'll use the last dose at about 11 tonight. Our appt is at 10:45 tomorrow so that'll be nearly 12 hours without meds. She should "perform" her cough nicely for the Ped by that point. @@

missgamecock

Postby missgamecock » Mon Sep 14, 2009 09:24 pm

Have you tried scheduling treatments while she is asleep? I have found this very effective. I used to get up in the middle of the night several times to give them to Kirsten. I have worked through the night on Cate too. Could you do a treatment before she wakes in the morning, once at naptime, again in the early evening (maybe you can think of a treat she only gets while getting the neb), and then give her another one late at night while she is asleep. I used to have to do this with Kirsten.

Xopenex shouldn't be making her nuts. Albuterol and xopenex are chemically the same except xopenex lacks the chemical (it is a hydrogen or something) that makes them nuts. Definitely ask about some pulmicort. It takes a few days for it to help, but its a maintenance med. Once she is on it, it will decrease the inflammation in her lungs which decreases the mucous, congestion and coughing.

trish
Forum Moderator

Postby trish » Mon Sep 14, 2009 02:38 pm

Kristine we must have the same duck mask. :) We also have the fish mask for ages 1-3 but it's prety big & the duck seems a better fit. This is day 7 of neb. treatments every 6 hours & she is *still* coughing and congested - ugh!! She is at least sleeping better at night (once she finally settles at about 10 pm instead of her normal 7 pm bedtime) She'll cough occasionally but not so she wakes up and cries too.

We have a follow up appt with the Ped. tomorrow so hopefully we'll know what the next step is. The neb seems to be helping but she's certainly not "fixed" yet. :(

kdreher

Postby kdreher » Mon Sep 14, 2009 01:37 pm

Michael is on pulmicourt 2x a day probably through winter and albuterol as needed. He has no teeth so at times he likes to play/chew on the tubing and he will actually put the nebulizer attachment in his mouth. If he fuses then I just hold it to his face. The mast I have, kids size, looks like a duck so it's not so "scary" looking. At 9mos he is pretty good with it and thankfully the treatments are only 5 min or so long.

Return to “After your baby is born .....”