starting to wean from BF

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.
mommy1st

Re : starting to wean from BF

Postby mommy1st » Mon Sep 13, 638619 2:27 pm

Thanks everyone!! Sueann to anwser your question I am actually not giving her juice I think I may have wrote that but actually I am not. At the time it was going to be my LAST, LAST resort if she wouldn't go to the formula.

Everything is going great where the weaning is concerned, yay!! I heard to wait a week with weaning a feeding out because you can or could develop mastasis or a clogged milk duct and ladies I have had far too many milk ducts BF her!!!
My boobs seem to handle the one feed fine, woohoo!!!!

Thanks again:)

kara
Forum Moderator

Postby kara » Fri Sep 03, 638619 7:47 am

Holly,
I had the same shame and guilt and PPD that you describe. I felt a twinge when I read your post, because I've been there. For us, the weaning happened much earlier, at about 2.5 months. I was so exhausted from the 3 hour feeding and pumping schedule. I had to pump after every feeding just to keep enough in stock. Because she was so small she could only BF 1-3 times a day, and I had to pump furiously to have even the smallest supply. Plus she had severe reflux and developed an intolerance to dairy and soy. I still had food aversion that carried over form the pregnancy, but cut what little I could manage to eat out of my diet if it was causing problems for her in the milk. I finally couldn't produce enough, and waht I was producing made her reflux worse, and it was a disaster. She was so little, and all my friends were BF pros, and I felt like a COMPLETE failure on so many different levels. I cried, I sobbed. She had to be put on prescription formula which we weren't prepared for the cost at $40 per itty bitty tin. Looking back, I'm upset about the shame and guilt I felt. I got her through the nicu with BM and it wasn't my fault that she had the intolerances she did. She had the intolerance until she was nearly 3 years old, so it wasn't like I was just copping out. I believe in BF and would do it again if we have another baby, but everyone one has their tolerances and limitations. It's awful that we are made to feel guilty or shamed by our friends, society, our doctors, etc. You've done a fabulous job for 7.5 months. Congrats!

Your weaning schedule sounds great. You could probably accomplish it faster if you want to, but that is your call. Typically they say to stop the feeding that is least important to the child first. So if bedtime and naptime are really important for reasons of getting them to sleep, perhaps cut out the first morning feed, then the next least important feed, etc. I think my friends cut naptime and bedtime feedings last.

We weaned quickly, BUT she was also on bottles, so the transition was not a big deal. I BF her only when I was uncomfortable, and then, only enough to relieve the pressure. We were done in a week or two. But again, she was getting pumped milk in a bottle more frequently than the breast. And weaning to a sippy sounds like a great idea.

Good luck!

season
Forum Moderator

Postby season » Fri Sep 03, 638619 7:35 am

It sounds like you are doing what is best for you - and you need to take care of you to be able to take care of her.

I'm a little confused about the way you seem to present juice and formula interchangeably. She's still pretty young, and if she's not getting breast milk will need formula. If she needs a drink with her meals then water is great - but at 7.5 months her primary nutrition should be bm or formula. I would check with her ped. to see how much formula and baby food she should be taking at this point.

surefoott

Postby surefoott » Fri Sep 03, 638619 2:05 am

Holly,
I think your decision to go straight to a sippy cup is the right decision! that is what I did with my kids and it worked out fine. By the time they were ready to stop BF (although I had one who still wanted the night feeding till about 18 months), they were able to hold the little cup. My little 8 month old granddaughter is drinking her water, juice and breast milk out of a sippy now; and is slowly weaning herself. Although they didn't introduce foods until 6 months, but she is already starting to need less and less of the BF. I had to kind of quickly wean my first daughter because I was pregnant, working fulltime, and it just was too tiring for me to BF also. Even she, at 9 months, didn't have any trouble going right to a sippy cup. My son never had a bottle at all, in fact, since I was home and could nurse all day (HA!) and by the time I was ready to go back to work, he was on a cup completely. Good luck with everything!

mommy1st

Postby mommy1st » Tue Aug 24, 638619 2:10 am

Alice,

Thanks for everything! I read that too, that once they eat solid food they are weaning, booo!!! It's weird because she ate solid food around 4.5-5 months old and she still ate off me every 2-3 hours but once we moved she quit! So I think that helped me a little with wanting to wean and plus the fact that I wasn't happy. The weaning is going great!:) I feel good about it and that just confirms that it was the right decision for me:)
I'll email you once the kids go down for bed, thanks for everything you are always there!:)
Hugs,

aundapenner

Postby aundapenner » Sun Jul 18, 638619 9:28 am

Hi Holly. (((hugs))) I've been there. In fact, I struggle even today with PPD and BFing, though for me, I decided to continue until the 1 year mark then see how it goes.

Your plan sounds good to me!

But, I wanted to share with you that they say once you start introducing solids, you've begun the process of weaning. :) We started solids just after 4 months and Sofia is an eating champ.

Email me if you want/need to and have fun shopping for pretty bras!!!

mommy1st

starting to wean from BF

Postby mommy1st » Sat Jul 17, 638619 8:01 pm

I really haven't come out on the site and said this but I went through a rough time in the beginning after I had Alexa and was diagnosed with PPD. I got on med's for it and did fine once they got into my system, I'm still on them. Anyhow, I have been exclusivly BF since she was born, she's 7.5 months old now. Well lately I've been getting depressed with the whole thing and starting to feel like I was before I got on med's for the PPD and that's just not a place that I want to go back to again. If any of you have suffered from PPD you KNOW what I am talking about-it's no picnic in the park!!! I just want/need my body back!!! I can't loose weight while BF, I can't wear pretty bras(LMAO!)...ahhhhhh!!!! So I finally came to terms with it all and I am going to slowly start weaning her. At first I felt bad but then I realized that I gave her the best source of nutrition for 7.5 months and the fact that she's eating more solid food than breast makes the decision a lot easier. I need to feel good about myself and if I'm not it's really not good for her either.

So, here is my question how did you all wean your child from breastfeeding? When did you do it? Anyone do it earlier than 1 year?

I am going to give her a sippy cup instead of the bottle, I don't want to have to wean her from that at age 1, kwim? I am doing the mid-morning feeding with formula and or juice going to do that for a week or so and then do the naptime feeding. My goal is by mid-end of August to be down to just 2 feedings(she only feeds 4 times in a 24 hr period). Then by October to be just to sippy cup with formula and or juice. This sound like a good plan?

Any advice, experience or input would be great...thanks!!

Return to “After your baby is born .....”